Borax?

foolforlove

The Thai name hasn't/wasn't helpful in locating this either. You have two choices:

* บอแรกซ์ which phonetically says in Thai letters "bor-raek"

OR

* น้ำประสานทอง which says "naam bpra-saan tong"

(and means something like "water with gold"???)

I used borax as a flux when soldering precious metals. I bought it in Ban Mo, from one of the many jewellery accessory shops. I think it is the same stuff that you are looking for.

If it is not, Ban Mo is certainly a district worth looking around. Just get off the Express Boat at Memorial Bridge.

Good luck

Alan

I saw Borax (Boron) once at a farm supply shop here on Samui, it's pronounced the same in Thai (as I think most chemicals are) ...

I wished I had brought some at the time, as when I went back to get some as an ant killer they ....."no have"!.. :unsure: must admit that might have been a year ago, so now may have?

Therefore, it is available in Thailand, if you can find a "farm supply" outlet in BKK or your area for others reading.

I know a local Hydroponic operation that brings in their chemicals from BKK, so there are suppliers/ places around.... perhaps I'll stop in and ask if they can give me an address & try & post it here.

It works so well to get rid ants, if you look at most ant traps they are 5% Borax and 95% either sugar or peanut butter. Ants are either attracted to sugar or oil, so a simple mixture does the trick.

I am on the hunt as well and will post if I can find something.

My Grandmother used to use Borax as a substitute for Fabric softner when she did the laundry.

• 3 weeks later...