Type "o" From Kl Anyone?

My current Type "O" expires in November. Since I will be in KL just thought I'd save a trip to Penang or elsewhere to get a new one. I got the last one in Dallas. All paperwork, including marriage cert is in order. Could get a retirement visa but I travel too much and don't want to bother with the re-entry visa each time.

BSG

Found the key word in your reply. Marriage. :o

Although few Consulates (outside of Penang) are known for providing more than single entry I would give it a try as you have reason. Take your local employment information with you.

If you can get retirement the re-entry permit can be a multi entry type valid for the full year and can be obtained on the same visit to immigration. Only takes and hour or two each year as is issued immediately (extension and re-entry permits). You would do this process at an immigration office inside Thailand.

Lop,

Thanks. I was under the impression that, with a retirement visa, that one needed to apply for a re-entry permit each time one left the country. I'll check with the Embassy in KL in the next few weeks on the Type "O" and report back since I'm in the neighborhood.

BSG

Edited by bang saen guy

Lop,

Thanks. I was under the impression that, with a retirement visa, that one needed to apply for a re-entry permit each time one left the country. I'll check with the Embassy in KL in the next few weeks on the Type "O" and report back since I'm in the neighborhood.

BSG

It costs more, at 3,800 baht, but is well worth it for those that travel often.

Lop,

I'm not sure this is self-evident, so I'll ask..........

Assuming you can get a Non Imm Multiple Entry "O," then you enter Thailand and get an extension based on retirement or support, aren't you covered for all subsequent reentries into Thailand that occur *before* the visa's expiration date? Won't they just stamp you into Thailand until the date of your extension's expiration?

Yes, the gap between visa issue date and entry into Thailand date will subtract from the valid reentry period you could get buying a stamp at Immigration. But if this is only a few days or weeks, it would seem to make sense not to put out 3800 baht.

And I can see several reasons why getting a multiple entry vice single entry 'O' could be advantageous, like you don't have your ducks in line for extension during your first 90-day entry. Plus, the reentry feature of the Non Imm Multiple is $75 US -- 800 baht cheaper than the multiple reentry stamp from Immigration.

Fine point, I'm sure. But for newby immigrants to Thailand, with ties still back home, having a reentry permit allowing for quick exits in emergencies would seem prudent. And for those here on their first extension who came in on a Mutiple Entry "O," it would seem they *do* have reentry permission, up to their visa expiration date(?).

(The discussion awhile back on O-A multiple entries seems to suggest this is so.)

NO. And I can not make that loud enough. If you extend your stay you will lose that extension the minute you leave without a re entry permit.

What you will get on return is another 90 day entry stamp if your multi visa is still valid. This is not what you want as you will have to start the extension process again.

The O-A is a different kettle of worms and should be removed from the normal multi entry O visa question.

If you extend your stay you will lose that extension the minute you leave without a re entry permit.

Ok, so you're saying once you get an extension stamp, the multi entry feature of a still-valid visa will no longer work, at least as it pertains to your extended stay.

Good info to know. Many thanks.