Starting A Tourism Related Website

I know working as a tour guide is on the restricted list. Let me bounce off my idea and tell me if there is a way I could do this legally.

I'd like to create a massive website with photos and tons of information relating to visiting Thailand. I realize there is tons of competition here, but I've been internet marketing for 16 years now and have cracked many tougher and more competitive niches then this one. Also while I'll be treating this as a business, I have other income I could live off just the same. I have other reasons for doing this, which largely relates to both wanting to explore and playing a more active roll in educating my children (thai).

My specific idea is basically to just visit everywhere and write about it. Here I'll also include all sorts of tips such as options to get there, hotel reviews and information, transportation, car rentals, points of interest etc. It will be basically a do it yourself travel guide, but also include information about finding tours as well, in case the reader is looking for convenience.

My best idea for monetizing this site (and there is no way to hide this is the plan and primary source of income when doing it legally) is to sell tours on a commission basis, working with existing tour companies. Selling advertising to, and affiliating for, rental car companies, hotels, visa services etc. would be secondary streams of income. The main one would be a do it yourself instruction manual for tourism (that conveniently also markets for tour guide companies)

So my first question is there a way I could do this legally? (I understand the basic part of 4 thai employees, 2 million baht capital for one foreign work permit.). My entire website underlying theme would be chances to sell tours, but it would also provide detailed instructions for people just roaming anywhere and everywhere in the country.

My second question is an if so to the above. Well, well into the future if i ever wanted to start my own company that provided tours, is this possible to do legally if my roll was simply limited to partial ownership (39% or w/e), higher level management such as training trainers, overseeing employment interviews etc. To be clear this is no where near my intent at the moment, this is just so I can gauge future expansion opportunities. I probably shouldn't bother asking this question now, because its so far off from something I'd do anytime soon, but at the same time it would be info that is nice to know.

In case any of this matters: I'm age 31, an American citizen, living in Udon Thani on a Non Immigrant "O" visa. My wife is Thai and our son has dual citizenship USA/Thailand.

The U.S-Thai Treaty of Amity, formally known as the Treaty of Amity and Economic Relations, was signed at Bangkok on May 29, 1966. The treaty allows for American citizens and businesses incorporated in the U.S, or in Thailand to maintain a majority shareholding or to wholly own its company in Thailand, and thereby engage in business on the same basis as would a Thai national. These companies are also exempt from most of the restrictions on foreign investment imposed by the Foreign Business Act of 1999. The treaty in effect allows for an equality of benefits between the countries. American companies who wish to be covered by the Treaty of Amity should have a minimum of 50% American directors and a minimum of 51% of shares must be held by American citizens.

Under the U.S.-Thai Treaty of Amity, Thailand restricts American investment only in the following fields of business:[1]

1. Communications
  2. Transportation
  3. Fiduciary functions
  4. Banking involving depository functions
  5. Exploitation of land and natural resources
  6. Owning land; and
  7. Domestic trade in agricultural products.

The treaty also allows for preferential treatment for Thai businessmen applying for visas to conduct business in the United States. The formalities for their applications are kept to a minimum. Under the treaty the U.S. Congress may not enact discriminating laws against Thai firms. Their profits may be freely remitted to Thailand and their assets may not be expropriated.[2]

cheers mark