Cleaning Large Stainless Steel Water Tanks

sukkha

hi,

I live in a townhouse that has a large(ish) stainless steel water tank out front that supplies the house. I want to clean it, but I am not quite sure what the preferred or recommended methods are. I have googled, but it seems most discussion is related to smaller stainless steel tanks. Since they are so common in Bangkok, I was wondering what other people have done to clean their stainless steel water tanks themselves?

I am thinking about perhaps picking up some chlorine sold for pools, diluting it however it might be recommended (for these purposes), letting it sit in the water tank for a short period of time, and then rinsing for a thorough clean; but this is just off the top of my head with no real knowledge about what is required to clean stainless steel properly and without damaging the steel in the process.

Tesco also sells little bottles of powered bleach (new one for me) that you can just add to water for a bleach solution, but again I am pretty clueless about how appropriate or what amounts might be desired for such purposes.

I know I used to use vinegar solutions back home for the small stainless/aluminum coated water bottles for carrying around, but for such a big water tank I am wondering how much vinegar would be required to do a proper job.

any/all constructive advice welcomed and appreciated.

Edited by sukkha

First how big is the tank in litres ? Whichever way you choose you are going to use that amount of water. Simply get some quick release chlorine tablets from a pool supplier, add to a full tank, leave overnight and then empty and refill. If it isn't badly contaminated then just throw in a few bottles of Haiter water / bleach from the supermarket and do the same.

If you need to scrub it out use a scotch brite pad. The other rough side of most yellow sponges. Or you can just purchase the scotch brite pad. You are better of using bleach. vinegar will be expensive in the amount needed even for a small tank.

Edited by Beardog

You will notice most tanks have the outlet placed some distance above the bottom of the tank. This is to minimize picking up sediments that settle to the bottom while the water stands. When cleaning it is important to get all the sediment out. Over the years it accumulates and more of it will plume up into the water. Often there is a special drain at the bottom of the tank for aiding in purging all the sediments.

ad approx 50 g chlorine pr 1.000 liter water to full tank. chlorine powder dissolves most rapidly, Hayter works too. let it work for 24 hours, let chlorine water be pumped through all your taps/showers/toilets to clean them as well. drain tank from lowest outlet. flush tank, fill up again and pump through all your taps/showers/toilets again. remove all taps filters and showerheads and flush them. job done :)

I have had tanks for 35 years and used nothing but a garden hose to clean (after years or service). SS tanks stay clean and only need sediment removed after years of city use. Run hose from neighbor. The city water has chlorine in it. Outside city I can understand the extra steps but not in Bangkok.