How To Connect Iphone 3G To My Alpine Dva-9861E ?

hansje1980

Ok fellow drivers in Thailand... Finally have my new ride and it came with an Alpine DVA-9861E (Yes I have a PJS'11).

Now, when I look at the owner's manual and some websites I found, it says it has Bluetooth and "Made for iPod".

For me this simply means I'm able to connect my iPhone 3G wirelessly using Bluetooth. Is this correct?

If yes, then how? If not, why not as the sources say it has both bluetooth and capability of using an iPod.

Yes I do know an iPod is something else as an iPhone 3G, but still... it's Apple...

Any help is much appreciated! :)

Cheers,

Hans.

The Alpine KCE-422i adaptor cable will give you control over the iPod features in your iPhone from the car's touch screen (sadly, no cover flow like on the device and no phone/app features though), but will not actually charge the device (it pre-dates iPhone and Apple made changes to the connector inbetween).

If you need charging while playing music, add the Alpine KCX-422TR as well (goes between the KCE-422i and the phone).

Both can be bought for around 1500 THB if you search online, official prices if buying from an Alpine dealer or Mitsu are almost double this..

Forget bluetooth for music BTW, even the latest spec which supports stereo music is junk - the cabled solution is pure sound.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

• 10 months later...

Fellas, any idea how I connect my HTC phone via its standard jack?

For that you just need the Ai-net AUX in adaptor, which is about 1500 THB fitted at any Alpine car audio dealer.

Thanks for your quick answer, very much appreciated.Is there one in Pattaya?

Just a thought, but once I connect that up will it show up as another 'source' because at present I just have radio and CD/DVD, no aux.

Fellas, any idea how I connect my HTC phone via its standard jack?

For that you just need the Ai-net AUX in adaptor, which is about 1500 THB fitted at any Alpine car audio dealer.

Thanks for your quick answer, very much appreciated.Is there one in Pattaya?

Just a thought, but once I connect that up will it show up as another 'source' because at present I just have radio and CD/DVD, no aux.

I'm sure there is an Alpine dealer in Pattaya, I just wouldn't know as I'm never looking for stereos when down there ;)

Yes, as soon as the adaptor is present the source button will cycle through Radio > DVD > AUX

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I got the Alpine wire installed a month ago for just over 2,000 Baht and figured out how to use the Alpine DVA-9861E controls to select playlists etc. (not explained in the manual). All worked fine until I upgraded my Ipod Touch to IOS 6. Now I just get an error message and can't play music any more from that device unless I hack it and downgrade to OS5.1.1, which is not straightforward for a layman (Apple does not support it and forces you to install iOS 6 when restoring your device to "factory settings"

Can someone tell me where I can have the Alpine software upgraded to make it compatible with iOS 6. A solution/patch may not be available yet but not sure if Alpine or Mitsu dealers in Thailand would be able to help when it finally is? I am stuck using my old Nano for now, which has much less capacity.

Thanks,

• 9 months later...

I finally got the cable connection fitted so that I can use my iPod Touch with the Alpine. But how to control the thing?

Te iPod screen shows that an accessory is connected but I can't get from that screen to control the music. The Alpine touch screen performs some functions but doesn't show what's playing. The Mitsu dealer hasn't a clue and the handbook tells me nothing at all. For now, I have to select a playlist and start it playing before connecting the iPod to the Alpine.

Any advice on how to solve these problems would be very welcome, please.