I Want To Change From Windows O/S - Linux?

Wentworth

I'm the Average Joe when it comes to computers. 3 or so years ago I installed Ubuntu but got into all sorts of problems and had to get rid and use XP again. I quite liked Ubuntu but despite it being held up as the best distro for non techies, I found I didn't have confidence that certain things would work eg printers.

My notebook is over 4 years old and I'm expecting it to die fairly soon. I begrudgingly use Windows products as I feel I don't really have a choice. I want to use something else apart from Apple but not sure and would like to start to learn a few geeky things. My ears pricked up when I heard about Google Chrome OS, but they say it's aimed at Netbooks and the roll out seems to be some way off, but not 100% sure of it.

I hear that Linux Mint is getting rave reviews and apparently it seems to have all the compatibility that Ubuntu doesn't. I just want it to work using things like Memory Sticks, and other plug ins like Ipods What I'm thinking is that I could use Mint alongside XP until I'm confident enough to go solo. I like the Open Source Philosophy and come the glorious day I buy a new machine, I want a kosher OS and would really like to avoid paying the earth for Windows.

I have a 250Gb external hard drive - would I be best downloading Mint onto it or perhaps a Memory Stick. I'm thinking that if all goes well then I would migrate slowly ie First - Memory Stick/External Hard Drive, Second - Partition Disk and then when reasonably confident use only Mint.

I'd be grateful for views on Mint - as a matter of interest, if I was using an external hard drive or memory stick to run it and stayed that way for months, would there be any problems with periodic updates?

Just download, burn and run Mint 10 from a live CD and see if you like it.

Installed it again this weekend on an old Pentium IV computer with only 1 GB RAM - no questions asked and everything worked "out of the box"

If you live in Bangkok or surroundings, you can join us this week at: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/409242-ubuntu-it-meeting/

I also run Mint 10 on my 7 year old HP laptop and again everything worked 'out of the box" - even VirtualBox with Windows XP SP3, Ofice 2003 , no problem.

If you want to have a look at it see you this week.

Cheers,

Cloggie