Woman Attacked By Bangkok Taxi Driver

george

Woman attacked by taxi driver

A BANGKOK taxi driver rammed his vehicle into his passenger after attempting to rob her, breaking her legs and an arm, police said Monday.

Lee Yan Chuan, a Chinese woman, was left lying on the roadside, where she was found by a passer-by around dawn on Monday, said police spokesman Maj. Gen. Pongsaphat Pongcharoen.

The attack was the second involving a taxi driver in two weeks in the Thai capital. A Japanese flight attendant was shot in the stomach on Nov. 26, allegedly by the driver of a taxi she had hired, and dumped on a street. She was hospitalized and returned to Japan last week.

Lee, 39, hired the car in central Bangkok sometime late Sunday or early Monday to go a few blocks away.

Pongsaphat said the driver drove her outside the city, apparently to rob her.

"She resisted and jumped out of the car," Pongsaphat told The Associated Press. "The cab then turned around and came back to hit her, breaking both her legs and her arm."

No other details were available. It was not immediately known where Lee was from originally, or whether she is a resident or a tourist.

No arrests have been made, Pongsaphat said.

--AP 2003-12-15

Bangkok's Taxi Drivers might want to start taking matters into their own hands soon otherwise they will find they won't have any customers.

When the catch this guy he needs to be charged with a non trivial offence like attempted vehicular homicide or something that keeps in incarcerated for a very long time.

From the far-out but not-so-crazy idea department:

Maybe in time, if the levels of violence against foreigners becomes well known, the government will feel compelled to indemnify tourists against losses while visiting Thailand. That this is even mentioned is an indication of how serious the problem is getting.

It is a terrible thing that the Japanese Flight Attendent and this Chinese Lady were both accosted by taxi drivers but the same thing happens in Manila almost on a daily basis to foreigners and I'm sure in London, New York, Los Angeles and perhaps even Sydney.

I do not know the layers of security Thailand has policing taxi drivers but I'm sure the gov't will have to review and perhaps tighten the regulations now if force or perhaps lay on new rules.

Of the 39 countries I've lived or worked in or visited, I feel safer in Thailand than any other country. That said, I do think that the Thai government needs to constantly review their security proceedures and tighten up a bit on regulations already in place.

Just my opinion, and don't take it too seriously, I never do.

Ken Bower

San Antonio Texas

Freq. visitor to Thailand since 1971

Follow up:

Tourist beaten, robbed and run over by taxi driver

BANGKOK: A taxi driver early yesterday morning viciously attacked and robbed his female Chinese passenger on a motorway in Bangkok, leaving her unconscious on the roadside with a broken pelvis and leg injuries.

After undergoing two operations, tourist Li Yajuan, 38, told police the driver hit her as he attempted to steal her belongings before running her down with his car as she fled with her handbag.

Passers-by found Li on the inbound motorway at 6.15am and alerted police.

She was then rushed to Sirinthorn Hospital.

"She has lost lots of blood. We believe her pelvis might have been broken as a result of being hit by the car," hospital director Dr Pichaya Nakwatchara said, adding that Li was in stable condition following surgery.

A dazed Li has not yet to been able to brief police in full about the incident.

"But she said she could remember her attacker well," police spokesman Maj-General Pongsapat Pongcharoen said, adding that Li got into the taxi in Khlong Toei district and intended to go to Si Phraya.

The woman's elder sister quoted Li as saying that the taxi driver had a squint, but she could not remember the cab's license plate.

Pongsapat and Metropolitan Police Deputy Commissioner Maj-General Adul Saengsingkaew yesterday inspected the blood-spattered crime scene.

Li's red handbag was found at the scene. Her passport showed she arrived in Thailand on September 9 as a tourist.

An official from the Chinese Embassy in Bangkok visited Li in hospital and called on police to catch her attacker quickly.

Adul said police would more carefully check the background of taxi drivers in the future.

A Japanese flight attendant last month survived being shot in the stomach by a Bangkok taxi driver. The woman was not robbed and police are still searching for her attacker.

--THE NATION 2003-12-16

Bangkok Post follow up:

Woman tourist seriously hurt by cabbie in robbery bid

BANGKOK: A Chinese woman tourist was seriously injured by the driver of a green-yellow taxi who tried to rob her on the motorway early yesterday morning.

It was the second attack on a woman foreign tourist by a taxi driver in recent weeks.

Late last month, a Japan Airlines flight attendant was shot and wounded in downtown Bangkok by a man who also drove a green-yellow taxi. There was no arrest.

Lee Yan Chuan, from China, was attacked yesterday near kilometre 6 on the in-bound motorway.

She told Lat Krabang police from her bed in Sirindhorn Hospital's intensive care unit that the cabbie threatened her and demanded she give him her handbag. She resisted and tried to fight him off.

When she managed to get the car door open, the cabbie kicked her out, ran the car over her and sped away. A passer-by helped Ms Lee get to hospital.

The hospital said her right knee and pelvis were broken.

She had lost a lot of blood and her condition was serious, but she was out of danger.

Police spokesman Pongsapat Pongcharoen said she was able to give a description of her assailant and a sketch of the suspect would be made public soon. However, Ms Lee could not say what make the car was, nor did she remember the licence plate number.

--Bangkok Post 2003-12-16

I have talked to Taxi drivers when in Bangkok, They complain that they are overworked and that too many new Taxis are given licenses. It is my opionion that Thai people by nature are honest, but the influx of drug addiction has created the new crime wave. I don't think it is directed at farang woman particularly, but traveling alone they are weak and vulnerable targets.

when I last week saw the hundreds of taxies waiting in line for a customer at Monchit Bus station in BKK and knowing that these were only a few of the many cabs cruising in Bangkok, I felt sorry for the guys. But the same situation you can view all over the world. The taxi business seems to be one of the last opportunities that promise a living to many people. But the reality is hard and contrarious.

I was lucky to have had an honest and reliable taxi driver the 4 times I had to use one.

No doubt that the criminal subject who hurt that lady should be punished seriously if ever found.

Update:

Victim unsure if taxi attacker ran her down

BANGKOK: Police yesterday released a sketch of a taxi driver wanted for beating and attempting to rob a female passenger, who was then run over as she tried to escape on the Bangkok-Chon Buri motorway.

Police spokesman Maj-General Pongsapat Pongcharoen said Chinese tourist Li Yajuan, 38,who is being treated at Sirinthorn Hospital for her injuries, had seen the sketch and confirmed it was 90-per-cent similar to the driver who tried to rob her early on Monday morning.

Li suffered serious injuries, including a broken pelvis when hit by a taxi after crossing the road after escaping from the cab she had been travelling in.

But she was not sure whether the taxi that ran her over was the one she had escaped from about 10 minutes earlier, said Police Maj-General Chalee Wejratpimol, who questioned Li through an interpreter.

Dr Pitchaya Nakwatchara, the director of the hospital, said Li was recovering but would need to stay in hospital for at least two weeks.

Doctors had carried out several operations to fix many of Li's broken bones, but would have to wait for her wounds to heal before trying to fix her pelvis, he said.

Chalee quoted Li as saying she had hailed the taxi at Sukhumvit Soi 11 at 1.40am on Monday to return to Si Phraya and that she questioned the driver during the ride after seeing he was heading in the wrong direction.

"She asked the driver to stop but he continued for about 100 metres along the motorway before slowing down and stopping in a dimly lit area at about 2.15am," said Chalee.

The driver then tried to snatch Li's handbag and hit her in the face, but she bit his hand and jumped out of the taxi. The driver pursued her, trying to snatch her bag, and punched her face twice more before an approaching vehicle flashed its headlights to warn that the taxi was blocking the way, he said.

"The driver then drove away and the victim crossed the road and tried to flag down passing vehicles for about 10 minutes. But no one would stop. Then a taxi hit her. She could only see that it was green and yellow because its headlights were in her eyes. She lay there until a passing police highway patrol car spotted her," he said.

Li could remember her assailant because she had argued with him throughout the journey, Chalee said.

Pongsapat said Li and her sister had arrived in Thailand as tourists, but their tourist visas had expired. Before the incident, the Immigration Bureau had refused to extend their stay and asked them to leave before December 22.

Government spokesman Chakrapop Penkae said Cabinet discussed the case yesterday, as well as the shooting of a Japanese flight attendant by a taxi driver last month. It wants Land Transport officials to check the background of people applying for taxi licences.

-- The Nation 2003-12-17

After reading the news reports and comments, three things come to my mind.

1. Sure things like this happen in different countries, but Thailand is one country where tourists have always felt safe. The Government MUST take more proactive action(s) to protect tourist. If they don't and the newswires get a hold of these violent actions, slow season will have a whole new meaning.

2. Why would Immigration refuse an extention on her visa.....this is rather strange in my opinion. Is there more to the story concerning this older chinese lady?

3. Not that there is anything wrong with a 38 year old Chinese lady out alone around 2 AM, in the Sukhimvit area, but I also find that a bit interesting.

Just my 2 cents worth

vc

Wow. I travel around Bangkok in taxis, I'm no woman but still slightly worried...

First the two English professors almost hacked two death by their driver, then the Japanese Air Stewardess and now this Chinese lady... how far are these "criminals" going. I for one, avoid all conversation with any of them, I can't tell the good from the bad, and it's usually the supposedely freindly ones that try to scam you into taking you to some jewelery shop or massage parlour....

Anyway, anyone know where I get myself a pocket size cannister-spray for self deffense purposes?

Thanks

"...but the influx of drug addiction has created the new crime wave."

I disagree. I suspect its those who used to make their living selling drugs and the remaining users who have to caugh up 5 to 10 times as much for ya-ba as before who are the perpatrators of this new crime wave. Its the result of a sudden change. A more graceful change would allow these people to adapt more gracefully, even give some drug users a chance to grow out of their dependency.

As for whether the victim being fined for her overstay: I don't see any mechanism in place to allow her to escape that indignity.

RickF. :o

Hehe, here's another BKK Taxi Driver:

That's Bt3,000 for the ride, sir, now get out

Published on Dec 18, 2003

A taxi driver was arrested yesterday after a foreign passenger told police he had been charged Bt3,000 for a ride into town but had then been ejected from the taxi while still at the airport.

Taxi driver Panya sae-Lim, 43, was arrested in his blue and red taxi at Bangkok airport's international terminal 1 after his Sri Lankan passenger, Dayaguna Chaminda, told police Panya had picked him up then told him to get out at the cargo terminal.

Panya allegedly cited traffic congestion for not wanting to drive into town.

He was looking for a new passenger when he was arrested, police said. Lt-Colonel Warat Worapratyakun, who arrested Panya, said the driver had been charged with driving to the airport without a passenger and without a permit. Warat said Panya would lose his driver's licence and face a fine of up to Bt300.

Panya pleaded guilty to the charge and said he made five to six journeys to the airport daily.

Despite his ordeal, Chaminda said he had been to Thailand several times, was happy to be visiting again and that he enjoyed Thai people's hospitality. He said he did not want to pursue the case.

Panya returned the money and apologised for his actions.

This is not good. Now how in the heck can one tell if this particular taxi driver won't attack them???????? The trust in these taxi's are gone.

Looks like the women have no choice now and the same for the men. Time to buddy up for your own protection. In other words have someone go with you when you go to these taxis's. I think the buddy system is the best alternative and it will deter these drivers from getting carried away to the tourists and expats.

Daveyo

After reading the news reports and comments, three things come to my mind.

1. Sure things like this happen in different countries, but Thailand is one country where tourists have always felt safe. The Government MUST take more proactive action(s) to protect tourist. If they don't and the newswires get a hold of these violent actions, slow season will have a whole new meaning.

2. Why would Immigration refuse an extention on her visa.....this is rather strange in my opinion. Is there more to the story concerning this older chinese lady?

3. Not that there is anything wrong with a 38 year old Chinese lady out alone around 2 AM, in the Sukhimvit area, but I also find that a bit interesting.

Just my 2 cents worth

vc

What are you talking about???

Update:

Hunt for taxi driver put on hold

BANGKOK: Investigators have been forced to reassess the case of a Chinese woman who was allegedly assaulted and robbed by a taxi driver on Monday because of inconsistent statements from the victim.

The manhunt for the offending taxi driver will be put on hold until the victim, Li Yuanja, can clearly describe the events that led to the alleged assault, national police chief General Sant Sarutanond said yesterday.

"Li initially said she was assaulted by the driver of a green-and-yellow taxi. In her second statement, she said she was hit not by a taxi, but an unidentified car. She was also uncertain about the facial profile of her assailant," Sant said.

Maj-General Chalee Wetratpimol, an investigator, said he would have to clarify the woman's description of events before he could proceed.

Li was found severely injured by the side of the Bangkok-Chon Buri motorway and rushed to Sirindhorn Hospital.

The incident prompted a government panel to mull the possibility of installing a global positioning system tracking device on all taxis, Deputy Government Spokesman Topong Chaiyasan said.

The panel, led by Deputy Prime Minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, is gathering opinions on whether or not the device would reduce crimes.

The devices would cost Bt10,000 per taxi.

--The Nation

I came across one with a rigged meter last wednesday. Female driver - the third one I ever saw in BKK. The distance indicator on the meter ticked 100 meters while the taxi only moved a short distance.

The short ride from WTC to Pantip ended up as a 4.6km ride. I pointed it out to the driver but she didn't want to adjust the fare. I think I will send a post card to Box 456, Samsen Nai Post Office with the plate number (มง853 or มง813).

Hey Ka, your very lucky to be alert, and of course it being a woman taxi driver. What worries me had that been a man, what might have taken place.

I too encountered one taxi driver who did not even have a meter and tried to charge me a heck of plenty baht. I have taken the very same route enough times to know the regular fare (which was lucky for me) and gave that fare that I knew was the proper fare. Well this taxi driver tried to force an argument with me and I told him as quoted" me not good bufflalo to mess with, took route many times, I know the fare and this is the fare and you no meter, you want me to call police so choose??? Have a good day and got out.

The guy could not argue, and of course security to the building was standing about 40 feet away from me. So I lucked out myself.

Now I also wonder had this happened some other place in the city, I am certain there would have been a big fight with obvious blows inflicted.

However that part never took place. So like I said I got lucky that time around.

This makes me want to buy my own car once I settle in Thailand. Cannot trust these taxi drivers.

Daveyo

This makes me want to buy my own car once I settle in Thailand. Cannot trust these taxi drivers.

For the most part, you can trust the BKK taxis. However, there are a few rotten eggs but compared to other countries the BKK taxies are fairly honest.

I had my own car when I was living in TH (but waited a few years before buing it). I quickly installed a compressor powered 140dB truck horn - you never know when a 10 wheeler with 30 tons of sugar canes is planning to make a U-turn in front of you. The sound of a truck horn makes them stop when you see they're about to drive out in front of you.

BANGKOK: Taxi registration plates should be written in English and a global-positioning system [GPS] set up to keep track of all city cabs, government agencies proposed yesterday in the wake of recent assaults by taxi drivers on foreign visitors to Bangkok.

What a great idea. It's too bad it wasn't put into effect following the August 6th attack by the driver of a green and yellow taxi on myself and my friend. Regular readers of this forum may recall the thread I initiated on that incident. Had some action been taken then, these other tragic attacks could have been avoided.

Marks

The short ride from WTC to Pantip ...

Funnily, something like that happened to me on the way from Suriwong to Pantip. I always watch them turning on the meter when I get into the cab. That guy didn't even turn it on on my second request but asked for a 100 Baht for that way. I got out immediately before he started. The next cab stopped and everything was perfect. On the way to Pantip we had a good chat about the bad guys, and when we arrived at Pantip it was 53 Baht on the meter. I paid 60 Baht including tip and was happy. Sorry, but I don't remember the license plates... But for sure I won't get on a green-yellow taxi :o

My tale isn't so horrible. I parleyed with a taxi driver and we agreed on a fee of 200 baht from Soi Cowboy to the Aiport. We'll this as-ho-e started demanding that I pay tolls for him. I payed the first, but became angry by the second toll stop and said, "No, you pay toll!" We had an argument at the airport, but he was out of his turf there and didn't pursue the issue.

I've also had deals with taxi drivers to bring me places, but, in addition, they would take to places they hoped I would shop at. I humored them, but wouldn't if I had to do it all over again. The prices they quote you are always above the norm and you must go through ridiculous barter with them for every cent. So, a slobbery "tounge out" for the Thai taxi cab driver! :o

Taxi at the train station tried not to turn on the meter earlier this year but when I asked him in thai to turn on the meter, he did. Of course, we hadn't pulled out of the station yet and the policeman was standing right there, and he knew I could speak thai, so perhaps that is why there was no issue. Luckily for me I guess, all the taxis I have had have been very friendly. But again, I speak thai with them so perhaps they figure I am not some tourist to mess with. But I must say it makes me, as a female, hesitant to take taxi alone again.

As a female reading all this is worrying. I'm always getting cabs on my own, esp after going out for a few drinks (at which point none of this stuff crosses my mind).

Outside my building is a cab rank, all the drivers know me and always make sure I get to my destination safely and at the right price - so there are good drivers out there (something positive about cab drivers for a change :o ).

Bottom line is this. It does not matter whether your female or male. YOUR AN OUTSIDER. Speaking a bit of Thai to some driver yes kinda throws them off, but if they continue to speak Thai to you further to test you etc, and you not know the language, they can still nail you.

It has its pluses and minuses.

The best to all of you expats is use the BUDDY SYSTEM. ESPECIALLY YOU GIRLS BY ALL MEANS. With the buddy system, at least you are in a sense on even terms with them.

With me yes I have a wife, and of course she always goes with me in some cab. But there are times she cannot be with me and if I have to go, I try to make sure someone knows exactly where I am going at all times and carry my phone with me. If I have some trouble, my wife who is Thai, she can speak to them in Thai to direct them accordingly. What is even worse I cannot read Thai!!!!!!!!!

I never go alone in some cab at NIGHT TIME. And I am male OK. You don't know what these taxi drivers have under their seats. For the most part, I follow the buddy system at least 90 percent of the time.

Yes these fares can get ridiculous and it does get very expensive as time goes on. I still prefer to have my own car like it or not cause that way I have my peace of mind, and carry maps and a compass that attaches to your car and even a gps system which is available now. Having your own car sure does take a huge load off of your shoulders as for safety against others who are unknown to you.

A truck horn!!!!!!!!! Gawwwwwwwwd I never thought of that, and yes indeed it sure can come in handy to catch others attention for safety no doubt.

The only biggest fear all of us expats have to keep in mind is Drunk Drivers. They darn near killed my wife about 8 years ago, and she was in a Cab when it got hit broadside from another vehicle, and that driver was drunk.

I praise Thaksin for going against booze. I hope he continues to get hard on that issue and ban it permanently no drinking and driving period. Our lives are far too important for some frigin drunk to kill us and that person walks away without a scratch.

And yes KEEP AN EYE ON THOSE METERS AND MAKE SURE THEY USE THEM. If not get out of there.

Daveyoti :o

It is a terrible thing that the Japanese Flight Attendent and this Chinese Lady were both accosted by taxi drivers but the same thing happens in Manila almost on a daily basis to foreigners and I'm sure in London, New York, Los Angeles and perhaps even Sydney.

sorry to say it but you are wrong about london cabbies at least,these guys go thro so many hoops to get their badges and are so regulated that i cant remember the last time a licenced cabbie was done for anything except DUI so get the cabbies licenced in a way that weeds out the phycos and criminals and then you will travel in safty

jack

sorry to say it but you are wrong about london cabbies at least,these guys go thro so many hoops to get their badges and are so regulated that i cant remember the last time a licenced cabbie was done for anything except DUI so get the cabbies licenced in a way that weeds out the phycos and criminals

So what is the Goverment doing about the Taxi service to make it safe for commuters. Should they make the drivers display their licence with photo in large Thai and English letters with registration numbers so that the public is aware who they are driven by? Will there be nw laws governing taxi drivers with harsh punishment to control this madness so that we can travel safely?