Kitesurfing

Vilena

If anyone has any good experience with kitesurfing here in Thailand?

would appreciate any advices on what is the best spot/ when is the best time to go, or any good recommendation on the schools or instructors!

Thanks in advance;-)

(PS yes, I know how to use both "search" function and Google, but all the threads here are a bit old;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You're not too old to do this, but with any sport that puts some strenuous force on your body, it definitely could put some aches and pains in those joints and muscles. The equipment has evolved very quickly and it's much easier to learn ( and safer) these days than it was in the past.

• 1 month later...

You're not too old to do this, but with any sport that puts some strenuous force on your body, it definitely could put some aches and pains in those joints and muscles. The equipment has evolved very quickly and it's much easier to learn ( and safer) these days than it was in the past.

I'm a begginer and am planning my first trip to do kitesurfing in Phuket, can anyone help me with the spots? what is the best /safest place in July? do you recommend Chalong Bay , patong, Rawai Beach?

Thanks a lot

Vane

Can anyone who has ever done this please answer me a few question's.;

1- Am I too old to do this? ( I am 52 and considered fit by my doctor )

2- Is it true that this sport can be bad for some joint's?

Any other advice on this- it look's such fun.

Kite-surfing is an extreme sport. You need a very strong abdomen, legs, and arms. That said, I've seen people 50+ doing it but they're in great shape.

There is some website which shows the wind forecast very accurately for Thailand. Based on that and some historical trade wind data, you would want either Hua Hin or Pattaya(or near there). There's a local place in Hua Hin near the KSA guys where I took lessons(I forgot the name). I don't recommend KSA as they do group lessons and pay their instructors poorly. Might be best to just go to the beach and ask around for a good instructor. Slower winds are good for learning because it's easier to control the kite and there are fewer people around. Maybe 6-12 knots with a 14m kite. Timing is everything.

windfinder

Hi and thanks for the information.

Have you done Kitesurfing in Phuket in July/august? Is there anything spacial I should take into acoount? safety?

I ve read the Following information about Phuket and I wanted to confirm it

The best 2 times for kiteboarding in Phuket are :June, July, August & September

Between 12 & 18 knots (recently we had a week of 25 knots).

November, December, January & February

Between 12 * 18 knots.

Thank you again

Vane

There is some website which shows the wind forecast very accurately for Thailand. Based on that and some historical trade wind data, you would want either Hua Hin or Pattaya(or near there). There's a local place in Hua Hin near the KSA guys where I took lessons(I forgot the name). I don't recommend KSA as they do group lessons and pay their instructors poorly. Might be best to just go to the beach and ask around for a good instructor. Slower winds are good for learning because it's easier to control the kite and there are fewer people around. Maybe 6-12 knots with a 14m kite. Timing is everything.

windfinder

• 4 weeks later...

windfinder

The only truly close to accurate windsite is pay for usage predictwind.com Windguru etc are all a bit average and unable to pick up the sea breeze which is the predominant breeze in Pattaya, etc.

Anyhow, for kiting from Dec - Aug Jomtien is a good spot, and with the tide out during the day, the beach tends to be decently wide with mostly cross on conditions - go to Club Loongchat or Blue Lagoon.

I might have to take the sport up some time; not sure i can be bothered wasting 8 hours in lessons of looping the kite around (although I suspect it probably is needed to learn how to control it) - I expect I have the riding the board bit nailed already as that looks pretty simple, it's the flicking the kite around bit that looks a bit tricky! (oh, and paying for it too 55555555)