Americans In Chiang Mai

iSabai

From visits in the past and now living in Thailand, and from reading this forum, I get the impression that CM has more American expats than other areas of Thailand. Why is that?

I know there's a US consulate there, been there for a long time. But is that the reason, or is there a consulate because there's so many Americans? (Chicken/egg?) Or does that even enter into the picture?

Not looking to take a census here, or looking to start a bashing thread. Maybe I'm wrong and it just appears there are a lot of Americans?

Just curious, and interested in (civil) comments please. smile.gif

Edited by iSabai

You might want to read the original post again. He is not saying that there are more Americans in CM vs. other nationalities. He wonders why there are more Americans in CM than there are Americans in other parts of Thailand. I have no idea why.

You're quite right!

Sorry

David

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun ISabai,

IS: "From visits in the past and now living in Thailand, and from reading this forum, I get the impression that CM has more American expats than other areas of Thailand. Why is that?"

Would have to ask you what on this forum leads you to conclude there are more Americans here ? And: have you looked at, and examined, other TV forums with an eye to figuring out their demography ? If you are American, is it possible that you notice more Americans on your visits here, or now, in living here ?

IS: "I know there's a US consulate there, been there for a long time. But is that the reason, or is there a consulate because there's so many Americans? (Chicken/egg?) Or does that even enter into the picture?"

Not in our picture. British consulate here much longer ?

IS: "Not looking to take a census here, or looking to start a bashing thread. Maybe I'm wrong and it just appears there are a lot of Americans?"

Actually, it would be interesting to know the demography of the various TV regional forums, and of the overall Chiang Mai area population what percentage of farangs are from what countries. Even more interesting to see the Chiang Mai farang long-term expat commuinity demography in terms of nationalities by age cohorts. Don't see any "bashing" in being interested in that, just natural curiousity.

In spite of our best efforts, and religiously avoiding their temples (called 'pubs), we keep noticing too many English, often of the red-faced obstreporous variety :)

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Given the number of Pizza and Burger threads on this forum you would have thought Americans were the only people here :P

Or maybe that just makes them the largest in terms of size/obesity :D

Just returning last month from Britain I was amazed to see just how large many people (particularly women) are becoming and how many Burger and Pizza joints there are. Seems we Brit's have caught up with our American cousins when it comes to getting 'Big'. However; only in the physical sense !

In spite of our best efforts, and religiously avoiding their temples (called 'pubs), we keep noticing too many English, often of the red-faced obstreperous variety :)

Hey Mr. Orang, that's not cricket old chap, some of us are not red faced..... tally ho and all that. wink.gif

In spite of our best efforts, and religiously avoiding their temples (called 'pubs), we keep noticing too many English, often of the red-faced obstreperous variety :)

Hey Mr. Orang, that's not cricket old chap, some of us are not red faced..... tally ho and all that. wink.gif

At least we can fit in the pubs and drink proper beer and not have to have half a dozen burgers and endure the crap conversations, we got a BIG house, we got a BIG car, we got a BIG wife. We are GREAT in baseball, rounders in England, played by women. American football, wft is that all about with the suit of armour, we call it Rugby in UK. You really did well in Vietnam as well!

Edited by pgthompson

I have read that CM is cheaper than many other expat magnets in Thailand - if so, could that be a factor?

Or if we consider the number of fleshpots by community/population - Pattaya or Phuket or Bkk - could that that American expats here, overall, are neo-Victorians (compared, for example, to citizens of Oz), and prefer the quiet life (avoiding Loi Kroh with fastidious steps}?

It cannot be television offerings. Escapees from Bushism or Obamaland? Or perhaps the Americans, many of them, are Canadians? (Hi, Canadians!)

At least we can fit in the pubs and drink proper beer and not have to have half a dozen burgers and endure the crap conversations, we got a BIG house, we got a BIG car, we got a big WIFE. You really did well in Vietnam as well!

Are you referring to me or Orang?

At least we can fit in the pubs and drink proper beer and not have to have half a dozen burgers and endure the crap conversations, we got a BIG house, we got a BIG car, we got a big WIFE. You really did well in Vietnam as well!

Are you referring to me or Orang?

Sorry mate but I thought it was self explanatory, we are the best in baseball - rounders in England that's played by women and wft is American football all about, suit of armour! We call it Rugby in UK

At least we can fit in the pubs and drink proper beer and not have to have half a dozen burgers and endure the crap conversations, we got a BIG house, we got a BIG car, we got a BIG wife. We are GREAT in baseball, rounders in England, played by women. American football, wft is that all about with the suit of armour, we call it Rugby in UK. You really did well in Vietnam as well!

I see we have another one that can't take a joke.:lol:

I see we have another one that can't take a joke.:lol:

American - sense of humour? George Burns, sorry, can't think of any others, maybe Abbott and Costello? Ronald Reagan and George Bush x 2. NOW they were funny!!

Sorry mate but I thought it was self explanatory, we are the best in baseball - rounders in England that's played by women and wft is American football all about, suit of armour! We call it Rugby in UK

Being a Londoner born and bred, can't say I disagree with much you've said

I did score well at Ha Long Bay mind you. smile.gif

One of my female expat lady friends who has lived in both places observed recently that expats in Phuket have more money than brains, but the expats in Chiang Mai have more brains than money. Something to think about re: the question on why so many American expats seem to settle in Chiang Mai.

A friend of mine who lives in Pattaya always complain there are so many loud talking Americans who take possession of the bars.

I wonder how he can hear that through the loud music. You have to speak loud then anyway. But there seem to be many in Pattaya as well. Is there a place where are no Americans?

Edited by Joop50

As this thread really was posed as an honest question, and as I asked that remarks please remain civil (yeah I know, <deleted> was I thinking?), and after 25+ replies, I can see that ain't gonna happen and it will surely go further downhill from here, I will ask that the mods please close this thread.

Thanks to those who attempted to offer a reasonable reply. Thanks to those who added some good natured humor. And to those that just couldn't resist the predictably dumb remarks... well, like I said, <deleted> was I thinking!

As this thread really was posed as an honest question, and as I asked that remarks please remain civil (yeah I know, <deleted> was I thinking?), and after 25+ replies, I can see that ain't gonna happen and it will surely go further downhill from here, I will ask that the mods please close this thread.

Thanks to those who attempted to offer a reasonable reply. Thanks to those who added some good natured humor. And to those that just couldn't resist the predictably dumb remarks... well, like I said, <deleted> was I thinking!

:thumbsup: