Marriage Papers & Visa Steps - Us Citizen Doing Marriage To Thai In Thailand

Hi,

I married my Thai wife via wedding ceremony at her house in her Amphur. The house is registered in her name as is the land. Lots of photos, perhaps way too many.

Obviously that's the unofficial part in the eyes of the governments of Thailand and the United States, -now we have to register our marriage with the Amphur.

To do this, we know I have to visit Bangkok and do the following (for Brits, -here's a nice link on how to get your Affirmation of Freedom to Marry in 24 hours) :

1. Make an notarial appointment (link is here) at the US Embassy Notarial Division for 3 documents and follow the procedures listed in their Marriage In Thailand page:

a. Affidavit of Freedom To Marry which can be found

b. Affidavit of Income from the US (
)

c. Due to being divorced in the US, I also have to fill out a Divorce Affidavit. (
)

I fill these out, pay the $50 for each notarial seal. Question #1: How long does the Notarial paperwork take to be signed/stamped by the Embassy staff?

I then drop off these documents to a translator such as one of the firms listed here, wait, and then pick up my translated copies of these documents.

I then proceed to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, specifically to:

Legalization Division

Department of Consular Affairs

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

3rd Floor, 123 Chaeng Wattana Road

Tung Song Hong, Laksi District, Bangkok

Tel: 02-575-1057-8, Fax: 02-575-1054

I then return home to the Amphur in which I reside, and go to the local office and Register ourselves as married.

I provide my signed and translated and certified Freedom to Marry affidavit, as well as the Divorce Affidavit, as well as the translated Divorce certificate my ex-wife sent me a PDF copy of.

This part it seems there's a bit of official, as well as ceremonial action going on, I've been told to bring a camera, etc.

Question #2: Is there a cost for this, how much is it? Is it like a "second wedding ceremony", how long will it take the Amphur to provide our Certificate Of Marriage (is that what it's called)?

So that should take care of the OFFICIAL MARRIAGE PART right? Now, for the Non-O Visa...

And for the Visa, by the time all this is completed I should have about 60 days left on my Non-ED Visa extension.

We live extremely close to Laos, -we are literally right across the river and very close to the Freedom Bridge border crossing.

So obviously I am considering trying to obtain a Non-O visa based on Marriage to a Thai as coverd in Thaivisa's post on the subject.

I fill out a T.M.7 Form, downloaded from the Immigration Bureau's page as .doc and then I fill it out, and save as PDF.

My plan is to exit at Nong Khai at Freedom bridge, go to Vientaine, and request a single entry Non-O Visa. Is this correct?

Is this considered applying for a Non-O Visa or is it applying for the actual marriage visa?

My understanding is that the Thai Embassy in Vientiane DPR Laos is issuing singles, but not multiple entry Non-O visas. Like I said, I literally live right across from the crossing to Vientiane.

Is it upon my expiration of the initial visa, that I get the Extension based on Marriage at the localNong Khai Immigration Office?

(caveat being to avoid Mr. Happy, a well-known and much-derided staff member).

What's the step-by-step process for this? I'd like to have a clear outline, and get it such that I can localize the data, e.g. what's the norm in Nong Khai, -get advice from other US nationals on this...

saanya

Being a Brit I have no idea how long it takes at the US Embassy. British Embassy pick up next day. Hopefully an American will chip in.

The registration at the amphur is just that. Sit down and sign the register. No ceremony. You will need a couple of witnesses but the amphur may supply these, if so it is polite to buy them lunch.

The registration fee is only a few baht. I forget exactly. You should get the Marriage Certificate straight away. I did.

As you said you then apply for a single entry Non Imm O Visa at a Thai Consulate.

Apply for the 12 month extension within the final 30 days.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

A US citizen downloads the affidavit and fill it in and swear it is true, it is signed and you are on your way.

When going to the amphur, make sure to get a copy of the entry into the wedding register, (khor rhor 3 form), besides the nice looking wedding certificate. You need this document to get an extension of stay from immigration.

Not sure if you can ask for an extension of stay based on marriage on an ED-visa, but it might be possible. I would ask your wife to call immirgation and see if they are willing to do this, so you don't have to go abroad and get a non-O visa.

If you do need to go abroad to get a non-O visa, you apply for a non-immigrant visa for reason of being married to a Thai national. You supply the wedding certificate (copy), copy of wife's ID card and household registration (signed by your wife) and maybe a very simple note asking for a visa for you. Bringing evidence of some money in the bank might also be useful.

Notary service at the embassy is done on the spot. The only wait is if there are people ahead of you. You can be in and out in 20 minutes if lucky.

What Joe said. You can make an appointment with citizen services on-line. Show up on time, walk past the motley crew in the waiting area. Show the lady your printed appointment paper. Bam, in-and-out.

Too easy.

The TM.7 is used for extension of stay - not for the visa. At Embassy in Laos you will fill out a visa request form to obtain the non immigrant O visa.

I suspect the income document from US Embassy is for later use at Immigration for extension of stay? It is not required for marriage registration.

Just some tips! Of course you only need the income affidavit for your visa. All the notarization is very quick in and out in less then a hour if you make a online appointment. Then take it to a translation office. The ones the US embassy recommends are expensive. When walking back towards the bts on the embassy side not the consulate side there are several place. I used one that was up one flight of stairs. Cost 250 baht to translate a page. I think M.O.F. charges 400 or 500 baht a page. The translation service will take it to the M.O.F. and have it stamped for you. They will also ems it to wherever you live so you dont have to wait. They charge 500baht for the service. A bargain if you dont live in bkk. Basically you can all your paperwork done in about two hours. Then just wait for the mail to arrive...

Just some tips! Of course you only need the income affidavit for your visa. All the notarization is very quick in and out in less then a hour if you make a online appointment. Then take it to a translation office. The ones the US embassy recommends are expensive. When walking back towards the bts on the embassy side not the consulate side there are several place. I used one that was up one flight of stairs. Cost 250 baht to translate a page. I think M.O.F. charges 400 or 500 baht a page. The translation service will take it to the M.O.F. and have it stamped for you. They will also ems it to wherever you live so you dont have to wait. They charge 500baht for the service. A bargain if you dont live in bkk. Basically you can all your paperwork done in about two hours. Then just wait for the mail to arrive...

This sounds cool, but I am confused about this line:

"I think M.O.F. charges 400 or 500 baht a page. The translation service will take it to the M.O.F. and have it stamped for you. "

-is the M.O.F. you are referring to the Ministry Of Foreign Affairs?

-that's a useful service though, I might look into it, I am just confused about perhaps a typo in the sentence, -or is it that

MOF charges 400-500 baht per stamp/page

Translation service charges 250 baht per page translated 500 for the routing to MOF & then send to me by EMS

This sounds cool, but I am confused about this line:

"I think M.O.F. charges 400 or 500 baht a page. The translation service will take it to the M.O.F. and have it stamped for you. "

-is the M.O.F. you are referring to the Ministry Of Foreign Affairs?

-that's a useful service though, I might look into it, I am just confused about perhaps a typo in the sentence, -or is it that

MOF charges 400-500 baht per stamp/page

Translation service charges 250 baht per page translated 500 for the routing to MOF & then send to me by EMS

Ok sorry . The translation service charges 250 baht. The Ministry of Foreign affairs charges 400 or 500 to put their stamp on it. The translation service charges a flat rate of 500 to take it to the ministry for the stamp and then post it to you.

Lets say you need two documents embassy 6000 baht translation 500 baht M.O.F. 800-1000 Translation service to do your courier service 500 baht....

Hope this helps. A taxi alone would probably cost almost 300 baht r/t...

• 1 month later...

Ummmm......disagree with your claim about monthly income requirement. My understanding is that the 40K is based on combined income of both husband and wife. In my case, my Thai wife has a greater income than I, so together, we will qualify. If I'm wrong about this, it will be a huge heart loss......and I'd appreciate a private message about it.

Being a Brit I have no idea how long it takes at the US Embassy. British Embassy pick up next day. Hopefully an American will chip in.

The registration at the amphur is just that. Sit down and sign the register. No ceremony. You will need a couple of witnesses but the amphur may supply these, if so it is polite to buy them lunch.

The registration fee is only a few baht. I forget exactly. You should get the Marriage Certificate straight away. I did.

As you said you then apply for a single entry Non Imm O Visa at a Thai Consulate.

Apply for the 12 month extension within the final 30 days.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Oh! I thought it the 400K savings AND combined income of 44K. Wow, is this ever a slippery slope! Well, I am relieved to hear that it's one or the other, because I have the 400K in savings.

Another slippery item is the getting the marriage certificate at the local Amphur. My fiance was told by some Chaiyaphum government person that we shoud do it all in Bangkok. My fiance thinks this is because of her being a goverement employee and there being extenuating reasons, etc. It's more complex for her to marry a foreigner than a ngo woman.

Getting the certificate translated into english and having them notarized......is that required in the marriage visa application process? I don't recall it.

The money must be yours alone and this has been the case since Police Order 777/2551 was issued. Only for a short period before that was issued did Immigration allow combined income. Not anymore.

Edited by themuse1969

1. Go to the embassy and get the marriage affadavid

2. have it translated into Thai at an agency

3 Have it legalized by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Consular Section at Chaeng wattana road

4.Now you can go to any amphur together with your wife and her papers as well to get married. (If you don't ahve two wittnesses the amphur usually will provide them)

You can marry at any amphur, but are advised to do so at one wher a lot of foreigners live, as they will be familiar with the procedure.

The translation office can also take care of the legalization at the Minsitry for you (for a fee of course).

Good luck