Retirement In Chiang Mai

WinnieTheKhwai

Winnie,

To echo many of the posters here, I think the two main things you should tackle in your retirement are:

1. Brushing up on your Thai

2. Integrating more with the Thai people

I integrated a couple times with Thai people and that resulted in two kids. There's got to be a limit on the amount of integration you're required to go through as a foreigner.

I've done the same, but time has come to integrate again. Any ideas of whom to integrate with? My ex suggested the maid, but she's older than me, so no! (well, she LOOKS older than me)

Edited by ianf

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winnie,

To echo many of the posters here, I think the two main things you should tackle in your retirement are:

1. Brushing up on your Thai

2. Integrating more with the Thai people

I integrated a couple times with Thai people and that resulted in two kids. There's got to be a limit on the amount of integration you're required to go through as a foreigner.

I've done the same, but time has come to integrate again. Any ideas of whom to integrate with? My ex suggested the maid, but she's older than me, so no! (well, she LOOKS older than me)

One suggestion by text: How about a kwai? It's great to have friends in Chiang Mai who read this board, eh?

Yeah.. I think a lot of that behavior (making vids, pictures) is related to being a fairly new arrival in a new and different place, but with lots of friends and family back 'home'. So then for a couple years people are amazed by all kinds of common things, and share that with those they left behind.

Thing is though, after living in Thailand longer than most Thaise I meet (come retirement age), there won't be a whole lot of overseas people I'd want to share pictures of wall geckos with, or do a Youtube upload everytime I see a family of 6 plus their dog on a Honda Click.

LOL @ the part about pictures of wall geckos and the family of 8. Sure, I agree. And also, not everyone is into making endless videos or taking countless photos. But sometimes something can strike you. I can't begin to think of how many times I went somewhere, saw something, and thought "Why didn't I bring the camera along?" LOL! One thing about YT vids related to Thailand, at least some of the better ones, is that there are a lot of overseas people who watch these vids and see views that maybe they've never seen before and maybe never will, but still find it interesting because it's different from what they're otherwise used to seeing and doing. It's really interesting that everyday, ordinary things I see or take for granted, someone else might see as something unique. The point though was that there's such a wide variety of things to do just about anywhere, especially when you're retired. Some things can indeed get boring, but then that's a good time to try something different. Everybody can come up with all kinds of different ideas of things that are enjoyable. Some people like sightseeing, and some people like tinkering around at home or talking with friends and neighbors. I like going to the talat or night market sometimes, just to wander around and look at people and things. Wouldn't want to do it every day though but it's good exercise.

It's really interesting that everyday, ordinary things I see or take for granted, someone else might see as something unique. The point though was that there's such a wide variety of things to do just about anywhere, especially when you're retired. Some things can indeed get boring, but then that's a good time to try something different. Everybody can come up with all kinds of different ideas of things that are enjoyable. Some people like sightseeing, and some people like tinkering around at home or talking with friends and neighbors. I like going to the talat or night market sometimes, just to wander around and look at people and things. Wouldn't want to do it every day though but it's good exercise.

I have to admit that even after years and years I still see things worth taking a picture of, or commenting or even ranting on. So we'll leave this one in as a potential activity: social and cultural commentator and live-blogger.

There's only one real guideline for retiring, "It works for me."

But sadly there are many people here for whom nothing seems to work. They are the ones you see 'drunk in the bars in the morning' (we could make a song about that!).

The ones still on Eastern Pacific time? wink.gif

Don't know if you're so inclined WTK, but one of the things I wish I had brought with me here was my guitar. Something I tinkered with for years but never had the time to really work on properly.

Learning or re-learning a musical instrument is a good time killer and can be quite rewarding. Although it can tend to be a good neighbor killer too. whistling.gif

Don't know if you're so inclined WTK, but one of the things I wish I had brought with me here was my guitar. Something I tinkered with for years but never had the time to really work on properly.

Learning or re-learning a musical instrument is a good time killer and can be quite rewarding. Although it can tend to be a good neighbor killer too. whistling.gif

Yes I thought about that. I'd probably make it something traditionally Thai... A North Eastern Khaen flute for example..

l_a7d9a95bac4144a9a5868b6fc677cfc9.jpg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

It is what you make it.

If you enjoy walking around and having a cup of coffee or a beer with friends it is good.

If you enjoy reading internet games and TV it is good.

If you enjoy the opportunity to go on a holiday or little trip any time it is good.

Only you can make it happen or not happen.

What is sad is when a person has to depend on a job to not only bring home the pay check but to make his life good.:(

Bingo! Jayjay nailed it. Outside interests beside the job is important LONG before retirement age. There aren't enough hours in the day if you have other interests too numerous to mention. But, maybe I'm just jaded because I have TOO MANY INTERESTS and I don't live in Thailand full time. I'm just sad because I'm running out of time.

Bingo! Jayjay nailed it. Outside interests beside the job is important LONG before retirement age. There aren't enough hours in the day if you have other interests too numerous to mention. But, maybe I'm just jaded because I have TOO MANY INTERESTS

What.. no pictures? ;)

Anyway, many interests: Nong and Dao and Nok and Puy and Fern and Noi and ... ;)

Edited by CheGuava

It is what you make it.

If you enjoy walking around and having a cup of coffee or a beer with friends it is good.

If you enjoy reading internet games and TV it is good.

If you enjoy the opportunity to go on a holiday or little trip any time it is good.

Only you can make it happen or not happen.

What is sad is when a person has to depend on a job to not only bring home the pay check but to make his life good.:(

Bingo! Jayjay nailed it. Outside interests beside the job is important LONG before retirement age. There aren't enough hours in the day if you have other interests too numerous to mention. But, maybe I'm just jaded because I have TOO MANY INTERESTS and I don't live in Thailand full time. I'm just sad because I'm running out of time.

lets look at a positive here on TV .. imagine when a person has a job that brings home the pay check and at the same time makes his life and other's life good too!!

some people have work that pays out big not only in cash but they love what they do .!!

Tell you there is more? You started in a bar in the morning .So yes there is much more than being in a bar at 8:00am ,who would even think of am bar run ?

Everyone retired is in a bar?

Life, retired or not, is what you make of it.

First step ... step out of your A.M. bar mentality !!

I retired 7 months ago and did not let me feet hit the ground before I moved here wife in tow. Yes sometimes you have to dig to find things to do but the jest of it life for me here is much better than it would be anywhere else . When I get the where I feel in just sitting doing nothing I will jump on my bike and ride 30 or 40 km come back and feel refreshed . If Im too tired to ride my bike I ll jump on my motor bike and head someplace I have not been yet . No regrets what so ever . If I was not here soaking up the warm weather and sun shine I would be back in the USA working my tail off and shoveling the snow out of the driveway. Being here is a no brainer ....

Tell you there is more? You started in a bar in the morning .So yes there is much more than being in a bar at 8:00am ,who would even think of am bar run ?

Everyone retired is in a bar?

No, I started around 10am in a coffee shop. However I couldn't help but notice the number of retirees already in bars. (Some drinking alcohol, others having tea or coffee)

Where does one find 40 baht large Leo in Chiang Mai? Winnie--if you could please point me???

Beats me; I don't know this for sure because on the few occasions I drink beer it's something more high-end, but there are several places down the sois (say, Moon Muang Soi 2) that sell small bottles of the cheap brands (Chang, Leo) for 40 baht I believe. Big ones: I don't know, a big one is more beer then I would ever hope to drink on a day so I don't know.. 65 perhaps..? Someone fill me in pls on the World of Cheap Beer.

When I first retired, I moved to France before the U.S. dollar went to the antarctic. What I loved in Fr. were western musical events in abundance, particularly classical (there are a few others of us here). Thank the skies for music schools here. I'm glad too of the various cinema offerings - live I mean, a surprise in their breadth.

But both there and in a remote part of the U.S. where I also lived in retirement for some years, voluntary activities were not so constrained. In either country there were organizations which encouraged voluntary participation on your own schedule - Little Brothers (and Friends) of the Elderly, for example. No fears about visas. I built houses with Habitat - but if it was 38 degrees, I stayed home and read.

Yes, I've heard of this possibility and that group and how only complaints lead to complications and the gray and....

But there is a technical objection, in law, if not a real one, to many voluntary activities here. Don't like that hanging over my head, nor the attitude behind it. But the physical efforts associated with them filled in my other hobbies and voluntary activities nicely.

I do know that it is important to "connect" with people - here, I mean friends and acquaintances; every sickologist says so. So being aggressive in joining groups of focused activities is also a good thing for me. Fly fishing is not hot, but there are other groups hereabouts. I see any number of fellow male retirees chugging around with Thai women who wear what appear to be wedding rings - but not in the bars where I might have yogurt in the morning. Might mean something, or the fellows could be just escaping from home.

I do know one thing. Most retirees are here because it is cheap. Never mind the complaints or exceptions or bitter remarks about bitter or protective booze taxes. It is cheap to live here, and with any care, cheaper yet, and with great care, very cheap indeed (no golf and v. little aircon, however).

Edited by CMX

Several off topic and derogatory remarks have been removed from view.

In using Thai Visa I agree:

1) To respect fellow members.

4) Not to flame fellow members.

Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.

Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Other than the long walk I had this morning, I've been sitting on the bed banging away on the computer in hopes of finishing my book before I head back to Canada in April. I only pop in and out of thaivisa as a mental break. I've got a writers meeting this evening and I'll probably go to the bar later for my nightly pool game and small bottle of Chang. I don't know why ANYONE would take a piss at someone else's life style. That is entirely up to them. I still say it helps to have a side interest besides your career while still actually employed. It certainly helps a lot when you retire. I DO know that the less you do the less you want to do. My mother always said that if you want something done then ask a busy person. A lazy person never has time to do anything.

Always fancied doing a bit of rock climbing/caving,Bungy Jumping,sky diving etc (been years since my last jump) :unsure:

My real plan however would be to build a short runway on my wee bit of land and run refugees..and others back and forward over the border in a super little micro light...nothing morally illegal ..of course...good heavens no...just for fun...like the old days .

Being small and made of wood we could easily avoid the radar heights.

Already got my own small private mountain bar so no worry about missing last orders.

Failing that there always the garden... :( ..init

My mother always said that if you want something done then ask a busy person. A lazy person never has time to do anything.

I heard if you want something done quickly, give it to a lazy man. He will get it done asap so he can get back to loafing. sleepy.gif

open an account at Kim-Eng with 150,000. Trade stocks during the day, or play the US Market, which opens at 8:30 or 9:30 pm depending on the season. Buy some condos and renovate/rent them out. I don't think you would get hassled about a WP for working on your own place(s).

My mother always said that if you want something done then ask a busy person. A lazy person never has time to do anything.

I heard if you want something done quickly, give it to a lazy man. He will get it done asap so he can get back to loafing. sleepy.gif

Ian is of course referring to his own life. whistling.gif

Retirement can be boring but I tend to split it up - I live in a house weekdays and a studio room in the city weekends - also I travel 3/4 times a years - often outside Thailand. It's lovely after those stressful years meeting deadlines all the time - to do 'nothing' is an art too! don't think too much :) when you're older you will crave the stillness.