PAD Not Welcome At Surin Border: Local Leader

webfact

PAD not welcome at border: local leader

The Friday's visit by the People's Alliance for Democracy at the border province Surin might bring more harm than good, a local leader said on Tuesday.

"If the PAD wants to come to boost the military morale, then it should just meet the soldiers because villagers shun its visit," Weerayut Duangkaew of Kataralak district said.

A number of villagers do not welcome the PAD at Kataralak, Weerayut said, blaming the PAD for instigating the border clashes.

Villagers know their history and do not need outsiders to lecture them about their hometown, he said.

He was reacting to the Monday's remarks of PAD leader Chamlong Srimuang. Chamlong said the PAD will form a procession from Bangkok to Kantaralak district to distribute relief supplies for displaced villagers due to the border clashes.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-08

Maybe the people from the bordering villages could do a week long house swap with the PAD leaders. The PAD leaders could be as vocal as they like there. Plus they could fight like the brave soldiers they are. If someone has to die, it might as well be the people who want to fight.

Listen to local people if you want to gain some insight what's going on at the border. They are the ones who suffer from all this nationalistic BS.

The PAD - devolved since its inception as a force FOR democracy into a bunch of nationalistic fanatics - have outstayed their welcome both in Bangkok AND in the affected border districts. Good to know their star is waning.

It's about time to send their geriatric leaders to a remote nursing home. "Grumpy old men" tend to destroy more than they can "fix" with their outdated points-of-view and self-righteous attitudes. I am not talking about the likes of Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. Those were funny "grumpy old men". The actual lot are just miserable, hateful and completely out of touch with reality.

Edited by Misterwhisper

I think PAD and the so called "nationalists" set up a smoke screen hoping to foster war hysteria and hate against Cambodia in order to foster the forgetting about real social issues facing Thailand, especially the people of the North East. It seems to be not working -- I am glad. The village I live in is close to the border and no one wants what is happening now. They are angry at the government, at the army, at PAD....at the whole situation. Not only does it disrupt peoples lives, but people are in danger of getting killed, their property destroyed. And many of our sons are in the Army--sent to die for what? Old Men's games to keep power and money!!

No problems between Isan people and Cambodians (Khmer).....most of us here are Khmer in our blood anyway - what is happening is a game to distract us from real life issues, like having the right to vote--the right for us to have Democracy and our civil rights.

Lek

I think PAD and the so called "nationalists" set up a smoke screen hoping to foster war hysteria and hate against Cambodia in order to foster the forgetting about real social issues facing Thailand, especially the people of the North East. It seems to be not working -- I am glad. The village I live in is close to the border and no one wants what is happening now. They are angry at the government, at the army, at PAD....at the whole situation. Not only does it disrupt peoples lives, but people are in danger of getting killed, their property destroyed. And many of our sons are in the Army--sent to die for what? Old Men's games to keep power and money!!

No problems between Isan people and Cambodians (Khmer).....most of us here are Khmer in our blood anyway - what is happening is a game to distract us from real life issues, like having the right to vote--the right for us to have Democracy and our civil rights.

Lek

PAD do face a dialemma. After the abject failure of their 'new politics' party at local elections they are trying desparately to play the nationalism card in order to undermine the government. The trouble is that Abhisit has shall we say done enough to convince the consensus that he is standing up for Thailand and this leaves PAD again without a means of differentiating themselves from government policies, hence Sondhi's half-witted remark that Thailand should capture Ankhor Wat as a negotiating tactic. I pray the Thai people are wise enough not to fall for this ploy and the reaction of Thais living on the border is both revealing and in a way reassuring.

Lek

PAD do face a dialemma. After the abject failure of their 'new politics' party at local elections they are trying desparately to play the nationalism card in order to undermine the government. The trouble is that Abhisit has shall we say done enough to convince the consensus that he is standing up for Thailand and this leaves PAD again without a means of differentiating themselves from government policies, hence Sondhi's half-witted remark that Thailand should capture Ankhor Wat as a negotiating tactic. I pray the Thai people are wise enough not to fall for this ploy and the reaction of Thais living on the border is both revealing and in a way reassuring.

The problem with Sondhi's remark is the last time they said things like this the Thai embassy was burnt down and I am sure that is what Sondhi is hoping to cause again. He never really say anything half witted - he is a calculated trouble maker.

Lek

You dont have the right to vote??, I thought all Thai citizens had the right to sell their vote to whoever they wanted?

Lets see. we have the PAD group, the Army, various businessmen, Various government ministries, Monks traveling via RR vehicle, the locals, etc and all want to have a say in what and how to handle the situation. And that is just on the Thai side of the border. Wonder when the missionaries are are going to arrive with their input?

Maybe the people from the bordering villages could do a week long house swap with the PAD leaders. The PAD leaders could be as vocal as they like there. Plus they could fight like the brave soldiers they are. If someone has to die, it might as well be the people who want to fight.

xackly!!!

:wai:

The problem with Sondhi's remark is the last time they said things like this the Thai embassy was burnt down and I am sure that is what Sondhi is hoping to cause again. He never really say anything half witted - he is a calculated trouble maker.

Meanwhile, back in the real world that's based in reality:

Cambodian rioters burn Thai embassy

By Ker Munthit in Phnom Penh

The Independent - Thursday, 30 January 2003

Thailand said yesterday it was withdrawing its ambassador from Cambodia and would evacuate its citizens from Phnom Penh after a nationalist mob set fire to the Thai embassy in the city and attacked Thai businesses.

Thailand said yesterday it was withdrawing its ambassador from Cambodia and would evacuate its citizens from Phnom Penh after a nationalist mob set fire to the Thai embassy in the city and attacked Thai businesses.

Flames engulfed much of the embassy building as the mob ran amok in the compound, making bonfires of furniture and motorcycles, witnesses said.

The Thai Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, said in a television broadcast he would send military aircraft to evacuate an estimated 400 Thais from the Cambodian capital. Police, who used armoured vehicles and live ammunition to contain the unrest, said there were no serious injuries during the clashes.

The riots were sparked by remarks reportedly made by a Thai actress that the Angkor Wat temple, Cambodia's top cultural icon, belonged to Thailand. The actress, Suwanna "Kob" Konying, has denied making the comments.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/cambodian-rioters-burn-thai-embassy-607061.html

Border Villgers: PAD Visit Could Worsen Border Dispute

Villagers at the Thai-Cambodian border in Si Sa Ket province are urging the People's Alliance for Democracy not to visit the area, out of concern that the move could worsen tension between the two countries.

Residents from three sub-districts gathered at the Kantharalak District Office in Sa Sa Ket province to express their disapproval of the People's Alliance for Democracy or PAD's plan to visit the area, although the group aims to deliver supplies for the people affected by the clashes at the Thai-Cambodian border.

The residents explained that they are worried the PAD's visit could worsen the situation in the area.

They advised the group to make donation via a public agency in Si Sa Ket province instead of visiting the area.

The residents' gathering ended after the Deputy Governor of Si Sa Ket province, Charn-na Iiem saeng, informed them that the PAD has already scrapped its plan to visit the area, and its donation will be given via public agencies instead.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-02-10

footer_n.gif

Kantharalak villagers march against PAD’s visit

SI SA KET, 10 February 2011 (NNT) – About 50 Kantharalak villagers have strongly voiced opposition to the planned demonstration of the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) in the district situated in Si Sa Ket province on the Thai-Cambodian border.

Mr Wisit Duangkaew, who led a rally against the PAD’s plan, said Kantharalak villagers want peace and do not want the PAD in the area for fear of another chaos, reasoning that the villagers once brawled with PAD supporters in a confrontation in the district.

The PAD has planned to send on 11 February 2011 its representatives and trucks transporting food to soldiers and villagers affected by recent border clashes.

Meanwhile, Mr Chatree Kaengraeng, another Kantharalak villager, said Cambodia might be discontented and open fire to the Thai side again if the PAD came in the areas.

Mr Chatree indicated that only local villagers, not the PAD, would receive negative effects if there were more skirmishes at the border. He hence pleaded that the PAD cancel its planned visit.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-02-10 footer_n.gif

Lets see. we have the PAD group, the Army, various businessmen, Various government ministries, Monks traveling via RR vehicle, the locals, etc and all want to have a say in what and how to handle the situation. And that is just on the Thai side of the border. Wonder when the missionaries are are going to arrive with their input?

Done!

The monk showed up in his Rolls Royce earlier in the week....

PAD confirms to visit Si Sa Ket on 11 Feb

BANGKOK, 10 February 2011 (NNT) – The People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) has insisted on visiting Kantharalak district in the border province of Si Sa Ket to give moral support to troops and local villagers affected by the Thai-Cambodian border skirmishes.

PAD key figure Major General Chamlong Srimuang has confirmed that the PAD on Friday will visit Kantharalak district to boost the morale of Thai troops and residents along the border and hand them over one million baht in cash donated by the group's supporters in the past two days.

As for reports that local villagers are against the group visiting the area, Major General Chamlong said that it was just a political ploy cooked up by the government. He claimed that military personnel were all very happy upon hearing that the group would make a morale-boosting visit to the district.

A group of about 50 Kantharalak villagers on Wednesday gathered to protest the planned visit of the PAD, reasoning that it might trigger resentment on the Cambodian side, and local villagers would suffer from another clashes brought on by the visit.

Meanwhile, PAD Spokesperson Prapan Koonmee has stressed that the PAD will stay put although the government has already enforced the Internal Security Act (ISA), saying that the group has been assembling peacefully, unarmed, and in compliance with the constitution.

As for the move of the PAD to seek a temporary injunction against the ISA activation, Mr Prapan said the group would have to look at the details of the cabinet's endorsement of the security law first before deciding whether to file a lawsuit with the court as earlier announced.

nntlogo.jpg

BANGKOK, 10 February 2011 (NNT) – The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) has insisted on visiting Kantharalak district in the border province of Si Sa Ket to give moral support to troops and local villagers affected by the Thai-Cambodian border skirmishes.

PAD key figure Major General Chamlong Srimuang has confirmed that the PAD on Friday will visit Kantharalak district to boost the morale of Thai troops and residents along the border and hand them over one million baht in cash donated by the group's supporters in the past two days.

As for reports that local villagers are against the group visiting the area, Major General Chamlong said that it was just a political ploy cooked up by the government. He claimed that military personnel were all very happy upon hearing that the group would make a morale-boosting visit to the district.

A group of about 50 Kantharalak villagers on Wednesday gathered to protest the planned visit of the PAD, reasoning that it might trigger resentment on the Cambodian side, and local villagers would suffer from another clashes brought on by the visit.

Meanwhile, PAD Spokesperson Prapan Koonmee has stressed that the PAD will stay put although the government has already enforced the Internal Security Act (ISA), saying that the group has been assembling peacefully, unarmed, and in compliance with the constitution.

As for the move of the PAD to seek a temporary injunction against the ISA activation, Mr Prapan said the group would have to look at the details of the cabinet's endorsement of the security law first before deciding whether to file a lawsuit with the court as earlier announced.

nntlogo.jpg

I thought Thaksin was clueless. These guys are just as bad. Must be the water.

The PAD have got a nerve, demanding tougher action against Cambodia and then attempting to try and bring aid to the very people this 'tougher action' has directly affected.

I didn't get any sort of a sense of nationalistic fervour, or anti Cambodian sentiment from the people who lived in the Ban Phum Saron area. My Thai is not fluent but the impression I got is that they all just wanted it to be over so they could safely return to their homes. One of the first things that struck me at Kantharalak refugee camp on Friday was how many Cambodian looking faces there were there. I think with the border so close there is probably a lot of Cambodian blood in these Thai communities.

I suspect the PAD may have completely misjudged the mood, as well as the aid situation which, at least at the main refugee camp in Kantharalak, is now good. On Friday there were approx 4,000 people there with no shelter or blankets. Now there are more like approx 1,000 -2,000 people who have tents, blankets, everything.

I didn't get any sort of a sense of nationalistic fervour, or anti Cambodian sentiment from the people who lived in the Ban Phum Saron area. My Thai is not fluent but the impression I got is that they all just wanted it to be over so they could safely return to their homes. One of the first things that struck me at Kantharalak refugee camp on Friday was how many Cambodian looking faces there were there.

excerpt from:

Locals divided over border clashes

Kantharalak, Si Sa Ket

Not far away, another male villager who joined the chat but asked not to be named, said the only solution was sending off F-16 fighter jets.

"If you want things to be over quickly, just dispatch the F-16s," he said.

"If we use heavy weapons, then it will be over in no time."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/02/10/national/Locals-divided-over-border-clashes-30148353.html

I didn't get any sort of a sense of nationalistic fervour, or anti Cambodian sentiment from the people who lived in the Ban Phum Saron area. My Thai is not fluent but the impression I got is that they all just wanted it to be over so they could safely return to their homes. One of the first things that struck me at Kantharalak refugee camp on Friday was how many Cambodian looking faces there were there.

excerpt from:

Kantharalak, Si Sa Ket

Not far away, another male villager who joined the chat but asked not to be named, said the only solution was sending off F-16 fighter jets.

"If you want things to be over quickly, just dispatch the F-16s," he said.

"If we use heavy weapons, then it will be over in no time."

http://www.nationmul...s-30148353.html

Thanks for posting that, interesting.

There's an excellent blog by an English teacher called Nick who lives in Kantharalak and he says that feeling against Cambodia is running high. I was really focussing on driving around taking photos whereas he actually lives and works in Kantharalak so his understanding is obviously better than mine. You can find it by googling morpheus429

BANGKOK, 10 February 2011 (NNT) – The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) has insisted on visiting Kantharalak district in the border province of Si Sa Ket to give moral support to troops and local villagers affected by the Thai-Cambodian border skirmishes.

nntlogo.jpg

Seems to me that if the troops were fighting for Thai nationalism they would not need moral support.

The people that need it don't want them there. So who is going to get the 1,000,000 Baht.

Seems to me that PA :jap :D feels they have to bribe the soldiers.

There's an excellent blog by an English teacher called Nick who lives in Kantharalak and he says that feeling against Cambodia is running high. I was really focussing on driving around taking photos whereas he actually lives and works in Kantharalak so his understanding is obviously better than mine. You can find it by googling morpheus429

I only read part of the article. I stopped at this paragraph

"While I realise the source of the basic enmity is kind of obvious, there is something unexpected about the extremity and universality of the attitude change. I believe it stems from the fierce nationalism which pervades Thailand, which is far more integral and important in Thai society than in most Western nations, save possibly the USA. I have mentioned this national pride before; it can be seen in every room in Thailand and in every street, on the TV and on the radio, at ceremonies and at festivals. A part of this, and a part which becomes very apparent if you speak to a Thai for any length of time about Thailand, is that they are very, very proud of their history, and in particular the fact that their sovereignty and independence have been successfully defended for hundreds of years."

And that false pride is at the heart of a lot of there problems.

My Thai wife falls into that category. She insists that if it is not Thai it is npt good when it comews to earing. (A real problem when traveling)

When I try to point out the equipment she is using to cook it I get a no talk response.

I know just a little point but it is the way they think in so many situations.:( And now is the time to try and be logical but false pride does not allow that.

Almost forgot his opinion was taken from interviews with seven people One of them was a reporter from Bangkok.

Edited by jayjay0

From Nicholas' blog:

Second, and linked to the first point, everyone except the farang journalist was certain of two things: the Cambodians were the aggressors, and the Cambodians were, to a man, evil bastards.

Sounds like more than a few might harbor sentiments not so completely antagonistic to PAD, or at least as not clear-cut as one reading the OP and the thread title might be led to believe. That is also corroborated by the follow-up article titled:

and linked above.

Edited by Buchholz