Buying Protien Shakes

PomPui

I have recently started to work out after a long period of not working out, well more like 20 years of not doing any real exercise :rolleyes:

I have been told that I should eat after doing my training but I really can't bring myself to eat straight after a working out. So I thought of getting some protein shakes, I have heard this type of thing is expensive here in Thailand . So I was wondering if someone had some advice for me.

Cheers

PomPui

Protein powder here is more than gold. What I've seen is about 250 - 300% higher than in the States. I even looked at various milk powders - for infants - and amazingly they contain some nasty stuff! Couldn't just make whey dehydtared milk for kids, had to add loads of chemicals...

Best I've come up with is the yogurt drinks. Let me know if you learn different....

Protein powder here is more than gold. What I've seen is about 250 - 300% higher than in the States. I even looked at various milk powders - for infants - and amazingly they contain some nasty stuff! Couldn't just make whey dehydtared milk for kids, had to add loads of chemicals...

Best I've come up with is the yogurt drinks. Let me know if you learn different....

Yoghurt drinks? Do you have some brand names?

I have a blender so I guess I could easily make my own.

Yoghurt drinks? Do you have some brand names?

Can't remember (see thread on Old Timer's now running). But it's available evverywhere, incl. 7-11's. Comes in various fruit flavors and has colored screw caps to match flavor. Tastes pretty good. Comes in two or three sizes. I'll look in the fridge when I get home and post the name - if I remember. Add some solid yogurt in the blender with fruit and ice and you're set...

Edited by happyrobert

• 1 month later...

Yes you better eat after the work out, your muscles want some food and a protein is a good way to feed them without consuming all the extra calories of regular food. Also after the work out you should consume some quick carbs that will deliver the protein to the muscles.

What I can tell from my work outs, don't work out on full stomach, you will have a lot less energy and motivation for the workout and it can even lead to the injury in some cases. Instead plan your meal for after the work out. If you work really hard, you WILL be hungry!

Yes you better eat after the work out, your muscles want some food and a protein is a good way to feed them without consuming all the extra calories of regular food. Also after the work out you should consume some quick carbs that will deliver the protein to the muscles.

What I can tell from my work outs, don't work out on full stomach, you will have a lot less energy and motivation for the workout and it can even lead to the injury in some cases. Instead plan your meal for after the work out. If you work really hard, you WILL be hungry!

I dont agree, i am often not hungry at all after a good workout.

And doing 4 x 8 bench press , 4 x 8 deadlifts , 4 x 8 squat , 4 x 8 weighted dips , 4 x 8 biceps curls is a pretty decent workout. Especially if you do it with weights that bring the sets close to failure.

I dont agree, i am often not hungry at all after a good workout.

And doing 4 x 8 bench press , 4 x 8 deadlifts , 4 x 8 squat , 4 x 8 weighted dips , 4 x 8 biceps curls is a pretty decent workout. Especially if you do it with weights that bring the sets close to failure.

What is the last time of your full meal before you work out?

What I said is true to me and I agree it may not be true for other people. I am always hungrier after the work out rather than before it, but I also should say I am not talkign about eating immediately after the work out. I am getting real hungry about 30-60 min after I am out of gym.

What is the last time of your full meal before you work out?

What I said is true to me and I agree it may not be true for other people. I am always hungrier after the work out rather than before it, but I also should say I am not talkign about eating immediately after the work out. I am getting real hungry about 30-60 min after I am out of gym.

I try to have a meal an hour til 1 1/2 hour before working out. I usually feel great after a workout (a little tired maybe) but usually not hungry. I could take a shake if i wanted too.

Im quite sure i workout hard enough. Im the kind of guy who goes all the way during training.Though im going to read up about periodisation. But first going to start on the 5 x 5 of bill star / mark rippetoe. That is something new for me. I always did splits but this seems good too. It goes a little against my nature but its good to try new things.

• 2 weeks later...

Thos yogurt drinks are 30% plus pure white sugar or corn syrup. Buy some plain yogurt, and then get some blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, a banana, etc from foodland and make yourself a real drink. Foodland also sells soy flour for pretty cheap, in the gran section of the store, you can add a little of that if you want some protein. That dutchmill stuff is posion.

• 4 weeks later...