Bar Charging Satangs

NALAK

i was in a go go yesterday afternoon in soi bakauw, go in regular as opens at 4pm with happy hour. bill came yesterday at 80 baht 25 satang. thought they were having a laugh until wiatress showed me the bill. why oh why add on 25 satang. never known it before in 9 years of living here. another roose to get change as tips or what. never mind another go go few metres away 15 baht per bar cheaper. and no satangs

Shock horror NALAK.....you stopped by for just ONE beer!...and it cost 80 Baht!....and 65 Baht at the competitor!! In Pattaya!!!

Luckily its only 60 Baht in Samui....B)

well if you had read the post correctly it was 80baht 25 satang, the point being why the 25 satang i have never known a bar doing that before, i only had one beer as not much to see, went to the other bar and was pleasantly suprised to see it 65 baht. so go go in samui now 60 baht which one, san mig, in fact tell me a bar that sells san mig all night for 60 baht.

Shock horror NALAK.....you stopped by for just ONE beer!...and it cost 80 Baht!....and 65 Baht at the competitor!! In Pattaya!!!

well if you had read the post correctly it was 80baht 25 satang, the point being why the 25 satang i have never known a bar doing that before, i only had one beer as not much to see, went to the other bar and was pleasantly suprised to see it 65 baht. so go go in samui now 60 baht which one, san mig, in fact tell me a bar that sells san mig all night for 60 baht.

Couldn't resist .....however Frog and Gecko 60 Baht all beers Thursday nights for starters. Easy enough to find the same in Bangrak....:whistling:

I don't visit the gogo places I'm afraid. ;)

They should do away with those Satangs, just good for making holes in your pockets!!

Wait a minute, what would we do for Loi Krathong without those pesky Satangs :whistling:

You use Satangs, bet all the local kids know you as Cheap Charlie.:lol:

Sounds like the bar is using a computerised POS system as if they charge B75 for a beer, and then add 7% VAT, lo and behold, B80.25 !!!!

Very silly pricing, or just a slightly dodgy practice of quoting prices as + VAT on the menus ....

Edited by sedge

the added on Satangs serve a purpose. it gives a handful of bored and frustrated farangs a reason to bitch about Thailand in a public forum.

:whistling:

I don't think I'm bored or frustrated but the bar certainly would be at getting no tip full stop.

Adding 25 satang to a bill means they hope to get 19 baht 25 satang. A con pure and simple.

At 80 baht for a beer is huge profit margin anyway. Now what's 10% of 80.25 baht?

You never said whether you got your 19 Baht 75 Satang change.

A few years ago I sat in a bar listening to two antediluvian farangs whining how the got their twenty Baht change in two ten coins. They saw it as the girl trying to force them into leaving a tip. I see it rather diffenetly, they are just offering folks the choice of leaving twenty Baht tip, ten Baht or nothing depending how low down the Richter scale of cheap charlie-ness they are.

So maybe this place was extending the range from 19.25 down to 0.25 thus providing a finer scale judgement on the difference between the length of a man's arms and the depth of his pockets.

Anyway if you don't like being charged the odd 25 Satang just drink in multiples of four.

Proble solved. B)

well if you had read the post correctly it was 80baht 25 satang, the point being why the 25 satang i have never known a bar doing that before,

You obviously don't get out very much. Quite a few bars e.g. O'Reilleys on Silom Road calculate their bills to the nearest satang. It used to be 80.25 baht after VAT for a happy hour Heineken. This used to piss me off because they always rounded up to 81 baht and gave me a handfull of shrapnel in change. Then I realised that instead of leaving a 20 baht tip I would leave a 19.75 baht tip. And everybody was happy.

Don't fight it, just go with the flow. Not sure what the exact price is now, but I still can get one happy pint and leave a tip from a 100 baht note.

well if you had read the post correctly it was 80baht 25 satang, the point being why the 25 satang i have never known a bar doing that before,

You obviously don't get out very much. Quite a few bars e.g. O'Reilleys on Silom Road calculate their bills to the nearest satang. It used to be 80.25 baht after VAT for a happy hour Heineken. This used to piss me off because they always rounded up to 81 baht and gave me a handfull of shrapnel in change. Then I realised that instead of leaving a 20 baht tip I would leave a 19.75 baht tip. And everybody was happy.

Don't fight it, just go with the flow. Not sure what the exact price is now, but I still can get one happy pint and leave a tip from a 100 baht note.

80.25 Baht during Happy Hour!!! Excuse me I think I'm going to have a seizure! :cheesy: :cheesy:

This is not a money issue but one of stupidity.

In that bar, I would give exact change and let them worry about counting it at the end of their shift.

Give her a 1000 note along with 25 satang. Then watch her head implode.

Just wondering why you would be happy leaving a 24.6% tip for a pint of Heineken? The service would have to be out of this world to justify that.

I think places will take them if the bill has satangs in it if paid exactly. But I also never carry them, too much bother. I like one baht coins though for the baht buses. Its a little passive aggressive fun to pay the 10 baht fare with lots of coins.

Edited by Jingthing

Couldn't resist .....however Frog and Gecko 60 Baht all beers Thursday nights for starters. Easy enough to find the same in Bangrak....:whistling:

so no where have you made a comment on satangs apeearing on a bar bill in Pattaya, just tried to promote Samui. my local charges 40 baht all day everyday here, no satangs. has it stopped raining yet, friend came back last week because of the rain, said tourist leaving because of it. must be longest rainy season ever.

still those cheap beer prices will make up for the 10-12000 baht return airfares.

80.25 Baht during Happy Hour!!! Excuse me I think I'm going to have a seizure! :cheesy: :cheesy:

Give her a 1000 note along with 25 satang. Then watch her head implode.

I have actually been laughing out loud, two great replies... Thanks guys you've made my morning...

Since when has the Frog and Gecko been a go go bar....and where is a go go bar in Banrak......like comparing apples and oranges really.

Since when has the Frog and Gecko been a go go bar....and where is a go go bar in Banrak......like comparing apples and oranges really.

Read the post again....he wasn't asking for a gogo bar....but anyway I suppose 80.25 Baht is a fair price in a gogo....was only pulling his chain anyway....have a lovely w/end both of you in your bar of choice!

:D