Cost Of Mobile Broadband Dongle

colcol

Dongles are available with OK (for Thailand) speeds. I bought one with AIS on Samui for around 2500 Baht giving a set amount of time each month....its easy enough to buy more time but also expensive. No option for a straight pay as you go...at least not when I bought it last year.

Your best bet is to find a free wifi at a bar or restaurant if you want cheap.....

Edited by smokie36

Get a dongle here for around 1300 baht and stick a 49 baht AIS sim in it. 3G and EDGE, not sure whether they have any 3Gin HH ? You can get a monthly package deal for 30 hours 100 baht, 250 hours 500 bat or unlimited for 1000. If you don't want a package they charge 1 baht a minute. All just pay as you go. Speeds fine for most users and good reception all around Thailand. :D

It seems that my simple instructions are beyond the grasp of some. Oh for but a simple click of a link could they enrich themselves....

Anyway, follow my advice.

The SIM that you need is here The NetSIM GO for 59 baht.

The most important part is the specification mentioned in my first reply; UMTS 900. Without it, you will not be able to receive the 3G signal and therefore will only be able to surf via EDGE.

An example with the correct specification can be seen here: 1289136439_131490065_1-Air-Card-IFOX-3G-910-1---1289136439.jpg

Of course if you already have a suitable mobile device(phone or USB modem) you will just need the NetSIM Go. As having to buy an AirCard/USB modem somewhat obviates the cost issue.

So check the specifications of your existing equipment.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

many thanks for excellent replies and information. since we visit thailand at least once every year en route to or from oz, I am happy to invest in a thai dongle. the donges I have were bought in sydney and I assume are locked to networks there.

is the price of TB1300 for a dongle achievable in a small town like hua hin?

Get a dongle here for around 1300 baht and stick a 49 baht AIS sim in it. 3G and EDGE, not sure whether they have any 3Gin HH ? You can get a monthly package deal for 30 hours 100 baht, 250 hours 500 bat or unlimited for 1000. If you don't want a package they charge 1 baht a minute. All just pay as you go. Speeds fine for most users and good reception all around Thailand. :D

That's not the deal I was offered last summer at the AIS store in Tesco. Wait till I get back to Samui!! :realangry:

EDIT: Thinking about it I believe I got maybe the 30 hour a month deal for 6 months so 200 Baht a month....not quite so bad as I first hought....time to shop around it seems.

OP I tried using an AIS card in my Vodafone dongle from the UK but you are right these don't work abroad. You'll need to buy a new one.

Edited by smokie36

many thanks for excellent replies and information. since we visit thailand at least once every year en route to or from oz, I am happy to invest in a thai dongle. the donges I have were bought in sydney and I assume are locked to networks there.

is the price of TB1300 for a dongle achievable in a small town like hua hin?

Not always necessary to purchase a new modem. Can cost anything from nothing to 300 baht to unlock your existing modem.

Which brand and model number?

That's not the deal I was offered last summer at the AIS store in Tesco. Wait till I get back to Samui!! :realangry:

EDIT: Thinking about it I believe I got maybe the 30 hour a month deal for 6 months so 200 Baht a month....not quite so bad as I first hought....time to shop around it seems.

OP I tried using an AIS card in my Vodafone dongle from the UK but you are right these don't work abroad. You'll need to buy a new one.

No. See my post above.

TrueMove may have 3G in Samui in a few months.

No. See my post above.

I'd no idea these can be unlocked. How much does it cost for usage with the NetSimGo?

On the 3G issue yeah we've been hearing this for some time already. Fingers crossed it will arrive soon.

No. See my post above.

I'd no idea these can be unlocked. How much does it cost for usage with the NetSimGo?

On the 3G issue yeah we've been hearing this for some time already. Fingers crossed it will arrive soon.

??

Don't understand your question.

What is the full make and model of your modem?

Unlocking it needn't cost anything, though it is unlikely to be compatible with the TRUEMOVE 3G service. All are compatible with the TOT 3G, as that is on the standard band for 3G.

Some Vodafone models are Dual Band UMTS/HSPDA 900/2100(AIS/TOT) and there may be one or two that are UMTS/HSPDA 850/2100(TRUEMOVE/TOT). In the main they are likely to be single band UMTS/HSPDA 2100MHz.

Actually TRUEMOVE did have 3G on Samui for a while, but CAT complained. Perhaps now TRUE have purchased the Hutch network something may change.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

thanks again for replies. re possibility of unlocking australian dongle this is sold by Crazy John in sydney model is U6T900Cj. the dongle also has on it N13505 CE 0682 made in china.

I have a second dongle from sydney on the voaphone net huawei Model K3520 HSDPA USB Stick.

thanks again for replies. re possibility of unlocking australian dongle this is sold by Crazy John in sydney model is U6T900Cj. the dongle also has on it N13505 CE 0682 made in china.

I have a second dongle from sydney on the voaphone net huawei Model K3520 HSDPA USB Stick.

Found these by looking...Also second the idea to look into tethering your current mobile phone as a 2G (GSM:GPRS/EDGE) modem. I'm guessing the best you'll do is EDGE with AIS/One-2-Call or DTAC/Happy. There was some discussion about Truemove 3G in Hia Hin, it was launched ~ 18 months ago but no re-confirmation of current availability and/or coverage. AFAIK, TOT does not have 3G coverage in Hua Hin

http://www.crazyjohns.com.au/faq-broadband/

??

Unlocking it needn't cost anything, though it is unlikely to be compatible with the TRUEMOVE 3G service. All are compatible with the TOT 3G, as that is on the standard band for 3G.

Some Vodafone models are Dual Band UMTS/HSPDA 900/2100(AIS/TOT) and there may be one or two that are UMTS/HSPDA 850/2100(TRUEMOVE/TOT). In the main they are likely to be single band UMTS/HSPDA 2100MHz.

Actually TRUEMOVE did have 3G on Samui for a while, but CAT complained. Perhaps now TRUE have purchased the Hutch network something may change.

K3565 with Vodafone in the UK...in Thailand I use an AIS dongle Huawei E153. Any info appreciated.....!

??

K3565 with Vodafone in the UK...in Thailand I use an AIS dongle Huawei E153. Any info appreciated.....!

Is it a K3565-H or Z....or neither?

The E153 is dual band UMTS 900/2100MHz, compatible with the AIS 3G network as well as TOT's 3G network.

Neither of use on Samui other then for EDGE. The K3565 can be unlocked for free in a couple of ways... though not really of any benefit to you other than having a spare dongle.

The Crazy John model may be a Huawei ZTE-3565/E160X or E....and may or may not be compatible with the AIS service. :)

The K3520 specification indicates that it may be compatible with the AIS service.

Once you unlock the K3520, you will need to replace the Vodafone dashboard with a generic version. Easily done.

Can talk you through it if you choose to go through with the unlocking. It's simple enough..

>i am spending a week in hua hin later this year and the hotel charges an arm and a leg for wifi.

Have you considered changing to a hotel with free wi-fi?

I stayed at Dusit and Intercontinental last year and they offered excellent wi-fi speeds inc in price. I'm sure there must be hundreds more.

Edited by Digitalbanana

The CJ-U6T-900 isn't a Huawei. Not sure about the unlocking of that particular model.

Had a bit more time to look into it...

If you've had the modem for six months or more, perhaps you can attempt to unlock it via CJ's website. It costs AU$70 to unlock within the first six months from activation, though it may not cost anything if you've had the modem for six months or more..

So try it first via the website link above.

Looks like a Basecom HS-USB 9000. The specification shows HSPDA 900/2100MHz and as such is compatible with the AIS 3G network in HuaHin.

In this case you will only need to purchase the SIM and to enter to connection details manually. i.e AIS's APN, dial number and username and password if necessary.

??

The E153 is dual band UMTS 900/2100MHz, compatible with the AIS 3G network as well as TOT's 3G network.

Neither of use on Samui other then for EDGE. The K3565 can be unlocked for free in a couple of ways... though not really of any benefit to you other than having a spare dongle.

Just says K3565 Rev 2.

If its possible to change either of these dongles for something which will give faster download speeds I'm all ears....although I guess nothing will happen on Samui until we get 3G (if ever!!).

Thanks for your help. :jap:

??

Just says K3565 Rev 2.

If its possible to change either of these dongles for something which will give faster download speeds I'm all ears....although I guess nothing will happen on Samui until we get 3G (if ever!!).

Thanks for your help. :jap:

If TRUEMOVE 3G will use 850MHz on Samui, neither will be any good to you as far as 3G access is concerned.

You'll need a modem capable of reading the UMTS 850MHz frequency. Such as the Huawei E160.

thanks for all info. I have now bought an unlocked IPad for use on my travels. I am assuming that I can buy a pre-paid mini SIM for an IPad in Hua Hin????????

Erm....I hope it's an iPad with 3G. Even then no 3G for you in HuaHin, as the iPad's specification does not match.

No problem in getting the SIM cut down to size if necessary. Many mobile telephone shops will be able to do this for you. Perhaps 50 baht.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Couldn't edit, so...

Wi-Fi + 3G model

UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)

No 900MHz in there, so no AIS 3G.

It is compatible with TrueMove 3G and TOT 3G, but they probably don't have coverage in Hua Hin.

So likely only EDGE for you in HuaHin. With Happy(DTAC), Daily Unlimited is 52 baht or you can buy the Happy Internet Micro SIM for between 69 and 99 baht. That comes with ten hours of access.

Look here and here

No problem in getting any SIM cut down to size if necessary. Many mobile telephone shops will be able to do this for you. Perhaps 50 baht.