Sending A Package To Thailand

greytown

Why do you assume that it has anything specifically to do with Thai Customs, more likely is a FEDEX requirement to insure correct delivery

Have you had this experience with Fedex? Certainly Fedex never required this when shipping to / from other countries I shipped to in the past.

When I receive packages from abroad I know that I will need to show my passport.

Why would Thais be any different? One needs to provide proof of identity. Is there something wrong with this? It would be the same in the West - in fact even more stringent rules would apply.

Like I said receive packages regularly and have never had to show anything.. I guess maybe it's a matter of my mail man knowing his clientele but never had to even before he got that familiar which dates back a few years so maybe it's some sort of new security policy for shippers since the UPS scare a few months ago and maybe the originating country or something raising flags :blink: ..

Thanks both. Fedex never ask forms of ID from the recipient when delivering packages (in western countries I've been). Only a signature upon delivery. Maybe because the package is sent to her job address and not her home they want confirmation of ID? Still wouldn't happen in the US. The package is a bottle of perfume shipped from a US online retailer.

Edited by greytown

Anyone else care to share their experience with shipping into Thailand?

I've always sent packages by regular post and have never had a problem.

Never heard of a signature being required to clear customs. What's in the box and what's on the customs form?

I've had a few things shipped by FedEx and other couriers.

Sometimes ID has been requested, other times they see a farang and assume I'm the right one :) There doesn't seem to be any consistency.

One thing that's not been mentioned yet is duty, it's pretty certain that customs will be requesting duty and VAT whilst FedEx will want storage and 'handling' fees :(

Incidentally, I thought perfume was on the FedEx 'do not ship' list, maybe things have changed.

I now hear they want 2800 THB in order to release a package worth $22 USD / 677 THB. So this is the famous customs BS that they pull is it? 400% duty. I told my GF to refuse delivery. So now one of these fuc_kers gets a free gift to give their GF.

I now hear they want 2800 THB in order to release a package worth $22 USD / 677 THB. So this is the famous customs BS that they pull is it? 400% duty. I told my GF to refuse delivery. So now one of these fuc_kers gets a free gift to give their GF.

This issue has been covered before. I have even posted links to Thai custom and tax authorities where information, rates, fees and other costs related to importing goods into Thailand are covered. I have shipped goods to Thailand from overseas for years, and I have NEVER experienced any foul play. What I HAVE experienced is ridiculously high taxes on imported goods, but that's a different matter.

I have to point out that there are items that are subject to heavy - if not extreme - taxation in Thailand. A nice example would be the famous BMW that is almost double the price in Thailand compared to Europe (unless you're a finance whiz-kid and employs a bilingu...trilingu...multilingual gardener). Please also note that the value of an item is not the same as the purchase price of an item.

I feel sad for your girlfriend, though.

Never use Fedex...they suck and will try to take you for all your worth.

Whats the matter Dave? Did you fail to read the waybill and the applicable rules, regulations and procedures clearly declared on the FEDEX website? Is it tFEDEX's problem if you did not? I use FEDEX for my shipments. Yes, they are expensive, but I have never had a lost shipment with FEDEX. Governments download many of their surveillance, tracking and duty collection activities to the shippers. It's not their fault when there is duty to collect.

In respect to ids, FEDEX and other international shippers are plagued by claims that the goods were delivered to the wrong adderss or person.It is therefore good business sense to ask for identification on valuable shipments or when there is a question of doubt. If I'm shipping something valuable, I hope the shipping company knows who took delivery.

Never use Fedex...they suck and will try to take you for all your worth.

Whats the matter Dave? Did you fail to read the waybill and the applicable rules, regulations and procedures clearly declared on the FEDEX website? Is it tFEDEX's problem if you did not? I use FEDEX for my shipments. Yes, they are expensive, but I have never had a lost shipment with FEDEX. Governments download many of their surveillance, tracking and duty collection activities to the shippers. It's not their fault when there is duty to collect.

In respect to ids, FEDEX and other international shippers are plagued by claims that the goods were delivered to the wrong adderss or person.It is therefore good business sense to ask for identification on valuable shipments or when there is a question of doubt. If I'm shipping something valuable, I hope the shipping company knows who took delivery.

I shipped a box of 100 plain green T-shirts to a customer using Fedex; shipping cost around 20,000. Fedex somehow managed to get them stuck at custom and claimed they were "Counterfeit" (these were literally plain green t-shirts, so apparently someone has copyrighted green). Fedex then shipped them back to Thailand (we had not even been informed there was a problem yet), and then asked for 13,000 for the return shipping, and something like 20,000 for "Thai Import Tax"...

After about 4months of calling every Fedex phone number we could find they finally agreed to refund the shipping costs.

Will never use them again. We had to refund our customer, lost a lot of money, and customer has never used us again because they were on the hook for shirts that never showed up.

Edited by dave111223

I have shipped and received hundreds of packages using Fedex, EMS and standard post. I am yet to lose one.

I have been caught for import tax on some items, but that is a lottery and I have no problem when I get caught, but its extremely rare.

And a few times I have been caught and the import tax is ridiculously high, for example, 20,000 baht fees for a 5,000 gemstone - but that's only because they had no clue how to value it and just put a number on it. It was up to me to show what I actually paid for the item and then they charged me appropriately. It was not a hassle, no under the table payments and smiles all around at the mistake.

So, I recommend you send proof of what it cost to your GF and she will have to pay the appropriate fees on the perfume. Should be fairly straightforward.