Laos Via Nong Khai

I'm planning to make my next visa run to Vientienne (Laos) next month. My Thai girlfriend (who has a Thai passport) will come with me and also wants to bring her mother.

The problem is that the mother doesn't have a passport and really only wants to go there for a day or two to buy some silk from the morning market.

Does anyone know the entry requirements for Thais. I've heard that they can get into Laos on some sort of 3 day pass.

All comments/advice welcomed.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, 3-day pass on arrival, available at the Visa/Tourist Agents where buses/taxis drop you off on arrival at the Thai side of the Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai.

Only a Thai ID card is needed, and a passport-sized photograph. I thought it was only 100B but can't remember if it was 100 or 200 to be honest. Did this last week.

If you only want a 3 day pass for Thai citizen with ID card.

As you are driving into Nong Khai on highway from Khon Kaen you can see a large govt. style building on the left. The building has a lot of open greenery around it and a see-through fence. Drive in one of the entrances and ask one of the guards or where you go for boarder passes to Laos. Or drive around looking for where most of the cars/vans are parked with people waiting.

You need:

1. ID Card

2. 2 Photos (You can get a set of 6 photos there for 80 baht)

3. To fill in the forms they give you

4. 50 baht

They start processing passes at 7.30 am, but the official signer is usually late ?8.00am? Takes about 15 mins depending on how many people are there.

The pass doesn't allow you to leave the Vientiane area.

When you go through the boarder on the bus (20 baht), you need to pay 40 baht entry fee into Laos after you have your boarder pass stamped.

When you leave Laos you have to pay another 20 Baht (40?) exit fee before you get on the bus (20 Baht/6000 kip as of 31/05/2004) back to the Thai side.

If you want to use a Thai passport (for longer stays)

You will need to go through the same process as other foreigners.

I.E. Get a visa (embassy or boarder) at normal prices