125 Kwacker..?

justaphase

Someone told me yesterday they have a 125 version of that funky 250 Kawasaki super-motad.... for about 70,000..?

True, or bar-talk bulls#it?

My old Sonic's getting on now, 6 years and 60,000km.. so this 125 Kwak seems the ideal replacement...:rolleyes:

Hmm.. thanks guys.. looks a bit small now.. :( Stupidly, i thought it would the same but with a smaller engine. Im a dumbass.

The 250's got 10cm more seat height (Im 6'2).. and 20mm fatter back tyre... but trying to justify an extra 60k, the gf will never have it..

Unless i buy it for her..:rolleyes:

Buy a Lifan LF200GY-7 (Cross 200) for 46,000 THB, it will outperform a unmodified Kawasaki KLX250 in top speed. It has about the same seat height and with 2 years warranty you can not do wrong...

The engine.. is it a bored out 150cc pushrod type.....? :unsure:

Looks a bit dated to me.. like the old russian thingys..

Buy a Lifan LF200GY-7 (Cross 200) for 46,000 THB, it will outperform a unmodified Kawasaki KLX250 in top speed. It has about the same seat height and with 2 years warranty you can not do wrong...

Lifan... Where can you buy one? Where can you get them serviced? Where do you get spare parts?

Do they rust out after a year like most other Chinese brands?

True the stock KLX 250 is restricted, but all you have to do is clip a wire to derestrict.

P_klx250.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Go visit the bike shop across the road from Sukhumvit Soi 101. The shop is not that big, but they use the footpath as part of their showroom. :) They have KSRs, KLXs, KickAss (or is that MadAss), and probably a few others on display. I see them every morning coming to work. The size difference between the KSRs and the 125 Kawa is very noticeable. This shop also sells Lifan and would be able to order the 200 if interested. Worth a visit just to compare sizes side by side (bikes!).

Lifan has about 200 dealers in Thailand, from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, they relatively new in Thailand – started selling motorcycles about 3 months ago. The Lifan motorcycles sold in Thailand are 100% manufactured (not assembled) in Thailand.

Parts are widely available, the Lifan LF200GY-7 is a motorcycle which is sold with minor modifications for the last 3 years in almost all countries in the world. From the USA to Germany, from Australia to the middle of Africa.

With buying a Lifan LF200GY-7 you cannot do wrong, sure it's not the same technological advanced engine as a Kawasaki KLX250... But then, do you want an advanced engine... it's easy to tune a carburetor motorcycle and increase performance without spending a lot of money. For a fuel-injection motorcycle, like the KLX250 you quickly have to spend US$ 330 for a Power Commandor or about the same for a 300cc bore-up (which makes it illegal and police can confiscate your bike).

Sure you can cute the red wire and unlock the hidden power in the Kawasaki KLX250, but cutting the wire also means that you loose the factory warranty.

Anyway the Kawasaki KLX250 cost 3 times more, is it 3 times more fun, and is it 3 times more powerful... No it's not...

Anyway as second alternative Sym also sells the Mbike SuperMotard 200 in Thailand for 72,000 THB, which is also a very nice alternative for the Kawasaki D-Tracker 250...

the Lifan LF200GY-7 is a motorcycle which is sold with minor modifications for the last 3 years in almost all countries in the world. From the USA to Germany, from Australia to the middle of Africa.

With buying a Lifan LF200GY-7 you cannot do wrong,...

There is no such bike as an LF200 GY-7. You mean a LF200 GY-5 (thankfully renamed the Cross 200). The LF250 GY-7 is still in EPA testing or what? Do you know Richard?

LF200 GY-5 (Now available)

right-side-sm.jpg

LF250 GY-7 (Still EPA testing?)

2_lifan_lf250gy-7-02-1.jpg

The only picture I can find of a GY-7 is at your site Richard.

Lifan... Where can you buy one? Where can you get them serviced? Where do you get spare parts?

Richard keeps saying there are 200 dealers, but the below link has about 20. I'm guessing the 200 number includes dealers for their generators, ATV's, parts etc. Lifan makes a lot of stuff.

Lifan Dealers Thailand

Here is a thread of a couple guys that bought one already. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/420555-lifan-gy200-a5/page__st__25

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Lifan sees dealers different than Agents, Lifan has a signed deal, and Lifan finances stock for this agents. Lifan has also dealers, this are companies which have no signed business deals with Lifan.

Lifan Thailand previously had the around 200 dealers also shown online, but the dealer list was targeted by other motorcycle manufacturers by calling and mail...

Lifan has stopped publishing the dealer list because people where inquiring for a Lifan and were offered something else... For other motorcycle manufacturers it would be useless to try to convince the current 20 online sales agents to buy and sell another product... (Financing is a very good marketing tool in Thailand, and only big companies can offer that to dealers).

---------------------------

And as indicated by ScubaBuddha, the Lifan Cross 200 is the LF200GY-5... the LF200GY-7 is not available in Thailand. Likely within a few months the LF250GY-7 Motard will become available in Thailand...(exact date is not available).

(The Lifan LF250GY-7 was officially a secret, but we posted it on our website... and after that nobody saw the need to keep it secret..)

Edited by Richard-BKK

the LF200GY-7 is not available in Thailand.

I have never heard of a LF200 GY-7. Are you saying there is such a bike? What is it? A Cross 200 motard?

More pics of the prototype LF250 GY-7. (Saturn Storm)

DealerExpo10-103.jpg

DealerExpo10-102.jpg

DealerExpo10-099.jpg

DealerExpo10-101.jpg

DealerExpo10-096.jpg

DealerExpo10-098.jpg

"Lifan has been a long time player in the North American market and had to survive a somewhat turbulent past. Despite earlier problems with unauthorized distribution and a sagging market, Lifan hasn't given up just yet. Those following the Lifan line of enduro bikes will be interested to hear about Lifan's new prototype 250 GY-7.

Lifan's 250 GY-7, currently named the 250 "Saturn Storm" brings us many of the same feature of the GY-5 but with a water-cooled 17hp mill and a host of other upgrades. To be clear, the model depicted at the show and in these photographs is pre-production and will likely have some slight variations in color or equipment. While bike is currently awaiting final EPA certification, they hope to have the Lifan GY-7 available for sale by the end of Spring/Summer 2010. We'll definitely be watching out for more updates to this model."

Source: MyChinaMoto.com

Lifan sees dealers different than Agents, Lifan has a signed deal, and Lifan finances stock for this agents. Lifan has also dealers, this are companies which have no signed business deals with Lifan.

Lifan Thailand previously had the around 200 dealers also shown online, but the dealer list was targeted by other motorcycle manufacturers by calling and mail...

Lifan has stopped publishing the dealer list because people where inquiring for a Lifan and were offered something else... For other motorcycle manufacturers it would be useless to try to convince the current 20 online sales agents to buy and sell another product... (Financing is a very good marketing tool in Thailand, and only big companies can offer that to dealers).

Um... so they have 200 dealers or 20 dealers or what? You say Lifan stopped publishing their dealer list?! Well how in the hell are prospective buyers supposed to find a dealer then? Sounds pretty fishy Richard... I'd like to go take a look at their dirt bike but have no idea where all these "dealers" are hiding....

How to find a Lifan dealer is pretty easy... if you not find a agent in your area... You call Lifan and they give you an address and phone number... Works for many motorcycle manufacturers in Thailand so why not for Lifan ...right?

The Lifan LF250GY-7 Saturn Storm is a enduro/trail machine, and likely will not been introduced in Thailand. Thailand will likely first get the Motard version.

Thats the one they are listing at 17 hp tho ?? 17hp.. And I thought the KLX was weak..

What about the apollo RX machine ?? Wasnt that another 'couple of months' from launch back last summer ??

I want a motard / dirtbike.. And its looking like a d-tracker / KLX and a load of moneys pent on mods.. Or a DRZ400 with all the book issues. If there was a cheap option (even to have separate motard / 2 stroke dirt) I am all ears

The Lifan LF250GY-7 Saturn Storm is a enduro/trail machine, and likely will not been introduced in Thailand. Thailand will likely first get the Motard version.

Thats the one they are listing at 17 hp tho ?? 17hp.. And I thought the KLX was weak..

What about the apollo RX machine ?? Wasnt that another 'couple of months' from launch back last summer ??

I want a motard / dirtbike.. And its looking like a d-tracker / KLX and a load of moneys pent on mods.. Or a DRZ400 with all the book issues. If there was a cheap option (even to have separate motard / 2 stroke dirt) I am all ears

Depending on the quality of the dealer in Phuket, I'm sure you can find more information about the Apollo Orion RX 250. The Apollo bikes will being distributed by the same company who does the GPX motocross bikes. You're nearest dealer should be 076-203316 (or mobile 083-3898496). Anyway I cannot tell you when they exactly come available in Thailand. On my facebook page I have a whole collection of pictures of the Apollo Orion RX 250 (facebook)

If you don't want to wait and find the Kawasaki D-tracker 250 to expensive and the D-Tracker 125 not powerful enough (understandable with 10 hp) you can always go for the Mbike Super Motard 200, which is currently available in Thailand, costs 72,000 THB, and is from Sym Thailand. The Mbike Super Motard 200 comes with 3-years warranty...

Its not the D-Tracker is too expensive, its more a case of its just not enough (as standard) for the off road side, and hence if theres a cheap option I might double up with a true off road (seen a real clean RMX250 plateless) and a motard.

Right now my thinking is leaning to a D-Tracker / KLX with both motard and off road wheels.. and performance mods (even the 352 big bore possibly).. By the time all the bases get covered tho its getting up into DRZ prices and I wonder if the added omph of that bike, its standard trim reliability, etc would not make up for the added weight.

Cost is less important than getting the right result, even if that result is 2 bikes for different tasks.. I grew up on 2 smoke dirtbikes and a dirtbike to me needs to be able to hoist the front end on the power, my few goes on d-trackers didnt feel anything like that. I also need / want a popping round town bike which is less drama than the fireblade. Hence the idea of 2 wheel sets.

Will be testing a KLX for a few days off road in the next week to help me make up my mind. BTW not on Phuket any more, any dealer info for Chiang Mai.

You can contact Modern Bike in Bangkok, they also do the import of 125cc motocross bikes, very much fun, but you probably will like something bigger. Anyway Modern Bike is the one who is working on importing the Apollo Orion RX 250.

For some time I had no contact with them but the last email address I have, and I believe it's still working is modern.bike(at)hotmail.com, they are a Thai company so not sure they will actual reply on emails so hereby also the phone number 02-7526264.

I think the D-tracker/KLX 125 is overpriced for its size. If they had fitted a 125 engine to a full-size frame it would have been better in my opinion (like the Yamaha WR125/WR125X). If you're 6' or taller the bike is definitely not for you, unless you want to look goofy on road. There are better alternatives...

I think the D-tracker/KLX 125 is overpriced for its size. If they had fitted a 125 engine to a full-size frame it would have been better in my opinion (like the Yamaha WR125/WR125X). If you're 6' or taller the bike is definitely not for you, unless you want to look goofy on road. There are better alternatives...

The KLX125 is woeful in power, literally no better than a wave or similar. It couldnt pull a larger frame IMO. The 140 can be tuned a little tho. If the 140 engine had made it into the same size frame it may have been a seller for the KSR and up crowd.

Edited by LivinLOS

The KLX125 is woeful in power, literally no better than a wave or similar. It couldnt pull a larger frame IMO. The 140 can be tuned a little tho. If the 140 engine had made it into the same size frame it may have been a seller for the KSR and up crowd.

If I recall correctly, Kawasaki released a street legal KLX140L in Malaysia to cater to riders who want something bigger than a KSR. Methinks, it would have been a runaway hit here in Thailand (but it would probably also take the market share from the KSRs).

The story is that in other ASEAN countries available Kawasaki KLX150 doesn't pass the Thai exhaust emission test, what is a dam_n shame.

Yeah I think I saw one on Bali too but wasnt sure if it was main dealer sold or just a illegal one used on road.

As stated I would imagine it would have sold like hot cakes compared to the 125 which is roundly dissed. Maybe it would have eaten some ksr sales but the 110 / 150 / 250 range in KLX and D-Tracker trims would have been far better for Kwaker.

The story is that in other ASEAN countries available Kawasaki KLX150 doesn't pass the Thai exhaust emission test, what is a dam_n shame.

Hey! We actually agree on something! :lol:

How about the Kawasaki KLR650!

2008-kawasaki-klr-650-6_460x0w.jpg

Built right here in Thailand and would be cheaper than the Versys, but Kawasaki can't sell it in Thailand because it won't pass Thai emissions... :bah:

Thank goodness the authorities are taking clean air so seriously in the Land of Smiles SMOG? :rolleyes:

2576620225_e08490a700.jpg