Thai Alcohol Tax Rised To 4,000 Percent!

george

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't drink it anyway !!        :o

Neither do I, but Thai(s) sure do. This isnt going to go over quite well me thinks. :D

It's sad really, what with the fuel and now the spirits ( which is also fuel for most isaan famers ) :D

===================================================

It will never cease to amaze me how different people take different positions on he same subject . . . . That's why this is such an interesting portal.

In any event; Mike has a view which I totally share; prohibition is the root of a lot of evils; - haven't the Toxinmaniacs learned anything in school ? ? ? Oh, sorry; I forgot; they probably "purchased" those pieces of paper which "real" people have to work and sweat so hard for, in the "real" world.

So now things become a lot less blurry: First the ridiculously early Bar closures; now the increase in some mass-consumables - all this will greatly improve Thai tourism . . . . . . duuuh

I saw this once before in another Asian country. They did this just before an IPO was issued on a beer brewers offer and joining of that local stock exchange.

Beer consumption jumped 15% in two weeks. While the price of beer droped a little the overall effect was obvious.

I asked a Thai friend and he said that a 95b bottle of Lao Kao may wind up costing 153b and the locals were really concerned that it may cause other more serious problems.

:o

Higher excises on liquors approved

Four types of distilled liquors are subject to the change - special blend, brandy, whisky and others. So far, they had been subjected to a range of 3550 per cent of market price or Bt240 per litre of alcohol content. The new rate is 4050 per cent or Bt400 per litre, whichever is higher.

--The Nation 2005-09-07

There is something wrong with the arithmetic here.

Did they mean 340 baht a litre instead of 240?

Either way, alcohol looks awfuly cheap at 10baht a litre?

A few weeks ago some researchers in the Netherlands came to the conclusion that all the efforts made to sensitize people about the abuse of alcohol had had absolutely no effect. Maybe hitting people where it hurts them most - in their wallet - is the only way to change their habits. After all, what we're doing in Europe with tobacco is not that much different from what Thailand is doing now...

(Yes yes I am aware of the negative side effects too, I am just trying to add another view to the matter :o )

From the BKK Post :

Utid Tamwatin, the Excise Department director-general, said the new structure did not affect tax rates on white spirits, given the government's policy to encourage rural community producers.

Does that mean Vodka stays the same price .............. ?

Sorry but "White Spirit" is a direct translation of " Lao Kao" so does not include Vodka. :D

I hope that this will not mean an increase in my costs for bootleg Lao Kao, I'm already paying 10 Baht per bottle! :o

Four types of distilled liquors are subject to the change - special blend, brandy, whisky and others. So far, they had been subjected to a range of 3550 per cent of market price or Bt240 per litre of alcohol content. The new rate is 4050 per cent or Bt400 per litre, whichever is higher.

--The Nation 2005-09-07

There is something wrong with the arithmetic here.

Did they mean 340 baht a litre instead of 240?

Either way, alcohol looks awfuly cheap at 10baht a litre?

There's definitely something wrong with your maths, how do you arrive at 10 Baht?

So it takes a few baht more to get a buzz on. I don't see the big deal about this.

The people who would be hardest hit by the increased costs are the ones who should probably not be spending their money on booze anyway.

And ironically they are the ones most likely to have voted in this government. Som nam na.

mekhong.jpg

PHANG-NGA: -- The Cabinet resolved today (Tuesday) to slap a higher excise tax on high-alcohol content distilled liquors, while maintaining the excise taxes on other categories of alcoholic drinks including beer and wines.

The higher taxes will take effect immediately.

"The government's focus (in restructuring the alcohol excise tax structure) is to curb alcohol consumption. This change is enough to achieve the goal in slashing consumption and raising tax income," said PM's Office deputy spokesman Chalermchai Mahagitsiri said.

--The Nation 2005-09-07

What a sobering thought! Probably just Thai Mafia trying to force more Thais to buy Black Cat or 100 Pipers.

post-13653-1126089079_thumb.jpg

mekhong.jpg

PHANG-NGA: -- The Cabinet resolved today (Tuesday) to slap a higher excise tax on high-alcohol content distilled liquors, while maintaining the excise taxes on other categories of alcoholic drinks including beer and wines.

"The government's focus (in restructuring the alcohol excise tax structure) is to curb alcohol consumption. This change is enough to achieve the goal in slashing consumption and raising tax income," said PM's Office deputy spokesman Chalermchai Mahagitsiri said.

--The Nation 2005-09-07

Good reason to make a trip (visa run or whatever?), to the Philippines, and stock up. Rum, 40 proof is 35.35 Pesos for a fifth (750 ml). Vodka & Gin, 45 proof, 49.95 Pesos, or so. Course, the supposedly "aged" ones and the imported ones are more, but it's all ethanol in the end, so why pay more? After 4 or 5 drinks it's difficult to tell the difference anyway!

mekhong.jpg

--The Nation 2005-09-07

well I got to say that this is somewhat good news for the alcoholics. Lets face it, more than 70 percent of the people here are drunk 24-7. What is even worse, they drive in this condition too.

Too bad that they did not tax it another 4,000 percent on top of this. Then we will see fewer drunks and more people sober folks.

just my two cents.

Perhaps someone should notify the Kennedys to let them know that they can run moonshine over here now. yuk, yuk, yuk.

Sorry, non-yanks... the Kennedys made an enormous amount of money running whiskey during the US prohibition. You know, kinda like G W selling coke because he couldn't possibly have enough playing-around money from W Sr.

We know it all, but:

After the tax hike, would anyone know how much a 0.7L Sam Song at 7-11 is now? It was 146 baht.

The problem with habitual drunks is that they will keep repeating themselves :o

The problem with habitual drunks is that they will keep repeating themselves :D

The problem with habitual drunks is that they will keep repeating themselves :D

Edited by loong

hi'

CHEERS :D

some coruption on the way and some crackdowns on illegal alcohol, and for sure more alcohol accident related in hospitals ... :D

it's incredible how stupid they can be sometime :o, no prohibition ever worked out, just brought some more problems.

francois

ps; time to get very rich to do what you want :D

What is current tax on wine?? Anybody knows?

Too bloody much whatever it is.. :o

totster :D

Do Thais drink much wine? My girlfriend sampled some of the sweeter white wine I bought in Loei and made the funniest, cringed face I think I've ever seen. I convinced her to sample a bit more just to see the look again.

They seem to have a thing for SPY Wine :D

totster :D

Yep Spy cheap and sweet