EGYPTIAN PRESIDENT MUBARAK TO RESIGN TONIGHT - AL ARABIYA TV

News_Editor

Here is another possibility nobody has yet commented on:

More here: http://www.investors...lly-Do-Want.htm

To someone, asking WHO these people from The Pew Research Center are, a reader wrote this in his comment:

"....A nonpartisan fact tank that provides information on the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world through public opinion polling. The IBD (Investors Business Daily - LP) will use only the data that defends their argument at the time. Time and time again, they leave out critical data that would destroy their own argument. I wonder if anyone besides myself picks up on this?"

We better not pay too much attention to this "major survey conducted last year" by this Pew Center Research, which is published by the IBD without asking any questions.

The comments and images on television by the millions of protesters in Egypt say more than enough, contrary to this so called major survey. <_<

LaoPo

Anyone who expect a 'progress' that brings the country more closer to something what they think will be a more 'western style' of society must be a dreamer.

Huh???? :blink: :blink:

Hosni Mubarak richest man in world: Report

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2011 at 1454 hrs IST

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak is likely the richest man in the world with an estimated fortune worth about 70 billion dollars. According to the Guardian, Mubarak has money stashed in several Swiss and other foreign bank accounts, and has shadowy real-estate holdings in Manhattan, London and Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.

The 70 billion dollars would put the 82-year-old comfortably ahead of Mexican business magnate Carlos Slim Helu, who is worth about 53.5 billion dollars, and Microsoft founder Bill Gates, the richest American with 53 billion dollars.

According to Princeton Political Science professor Amaney Jamal, Mubarak's three-decade rule in Egypt had kept him in a perfect spot to get a piece of any government action.

continues:

http://www.financial...ews/pct/747529/

LaoPo

Is Hosni Mubarak the world's richest man?

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak may be the world's richest man with an estimated fortune of $70 billion dollars, according to reports.

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak is likely the world's richest man, with an estimated fortune of $70 billion dollars. Media reported Monday that Mubarak's family fortune could be as high as $70 billion, much of it in Swiss banks or tied up in real estate in New York, Los Angeles and London.

The $70 billion dollars would put the 82-year-old comfortably ahead of Mexican business magnate Carlos Slim Helu, worth about $53.5 billion dollars, and Microsoft founder Bill Gates, the richest American with $53 billion.

According to Princeton political science professor Amaney Jamal, quoted by ABC, Mubarak's three-decade rule in Egypt had kept him in a perfect spot to get a piece of any government action.

Mubarak, his wife and two sons were able to also accumulate wealth through a number of business partnerships with foreigners, Christopher Davidson, professor of Middle East Politics at Durham University in England, told ABC. Egyptian law requires that foreigners give a local business partner a 51 percent stake in most ventures.

Meanwhile, Egyptian press reported that investigators were looking into the hidden wealth of Mubarak's allies, which ranged from the $3 billion of party insider Ahmed Ezz to the $1.2 billion of former interior minister Habib Ibrahim El-Adly.

Continues:

http://www.globalpos...man-billionaire

LaoPo

Mubarak family fortune could reach $70bn, say experts

Egyptian president has cash in British and Swiss banks plus UK and US property

Gamal-and-Hosni-Mubarak-007.jpg

Gamal and Hosni Mubarak are reported to have built up huge fortunes, including properties in London. Photograph: Cris Bouroncle/AFP/Getty Images

President Hosni Mubarak's family fortune could be as much as $70bn (£43.5bn) according to analysis by Middle East experts, with much of his wealth in British and Swiss banks or tied up in real estate in London, New York, Los Angeles and along expensive tracts of the Red Sea coast.

After 30 years as president and many more as a senior military official, Mubarak has had access to investment deals that have generated hundreds of millions of pounds in profits. Most of those gains have been taken offshore and deposited in secret bank accounts or invested in upmarket homes and hotels.

According to a report last year in the Arabic newspaper Al Khabar, Mubarak has properties in Manhattan and exclusive Beverly Hills addresses on Rodeo Drive.

His sons, Gamal and Alaa, are also billionaires. A protest outside Gamal's ostentatious home at 28 Wilton Place in Belgravia, central London, highlighted the family's appetite for western trophy assets.

Continues:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/04/hosni-mubarak-family-fortune

LaoPo

Standing to inherit a $70 billion fortune, WHY would Gamal Mubarak want to stay in Egypt in the first place? No offense to Egypt intended, it just isn't among the top 50 countries I would think a young billionaire would want to call home regardless of nationality.

Standing to inherit a $70 billion fortune, WHY would Gamal Mubarak want to stay in Egypt in the first place? No offense to Egypt intended, it just isn't among the top 50 countries I would think a young billionaire would want to call home regardless of nationality.

I understood he (+wife and other family) left for London some 10 days ago and has very good contacts in the financial world. He also worked for Bank of America in Egypt and London in investment banking so he knows his way around wher and how to invest and stash money.

I believe the family also has a private investment company but he knows better than me...

I suppose he's been busy since, taking care of finances for himself, family and Dad, knowing that Switzerland and Europe have frozen all assets of Ben Ali of Tunisia...;)

Apart from that, Tunisia has filed an International Arrest Warrant for Ben Ali but he's thought to be in Saudi Arabia and I doubt if they will arrest him there; plane with 1,5 tonnes of Gold and such....:whistling:

But If the stories about $70 Bn are true, one must be VERY busy, arranging how to steer all that money and arrange the massive real estate and investment portfolio; big job!

LaoPo

This is why both of his sons and their families did a runner (to London) just after these protests started.

Editorial: What Egyptians Really Want

I believe pretty much nothing on that list, these demonstrations are happening due to harsh treatments and inequalities being handed down to the people for far too long and they are fed up with it.

There has been some rhetoric on certain US TV channels about the 'muslim brotherhood' orchestrating these demonstrations with a view to taking over the running of the country which couldn't be further from the truth as far as I'm concerned.

Regardless of what I think, if the people of Egypt get rid of their current dictatorial regime and decide to implement a full Saudi style Sharia law system then that's completely up to them.

Anyone who expect a 'progress' that brings the country more closer to something what they think will be a more 'western style' of society must be a dreamer.

Well you can count me in on that list. Nothing new is ever achieved without prior dreams and aspirations.

BREAKING NEWS from CNN Television

Vice President now defacto President of Egypt.

Edit:

Egyptian Ambassador to the US:

"MUBARAK HAS NO POWER"

LaoPo

My take on this is that Mubarak has been planning this all along which is why he appointed Suleiman as VP in the first place. He's installed a long time loyal proxy in an attempt to placate the people. The thing is this Suleiman guy is well known as the head of the intelligence services which have played a large role in beating the people into submission over the years.

If the current situation persists I can imagine a scenario where Suleiman gathers his orders from Mubarak on everything he does, just like he's been doing for most of his working life.

Well you can count me in on that list. Nothing new is ever achieved without prior dreams and aspirations.

But it isn't much about 'western' democracy and 'western' values as some may assume. nevertheless there will be some kind of progress.

There has been some rhetoric on certain US TV channels about the 'muslim brotherhood' orchestrating these demonstrations with a view to taking over the running of the country which couldn't be further from the truth as far as I'm concerned.

For those that think we can learn something from history, the Bolsheviks led by Lenin weren't the ones who overthrew the Tsar back in the Russian Revolution of Feburary 1917. They took control from the Provisional Gov't the following October.

It's a good bet that whoever ends up in power in Egypt had little to do with the first small protests last month. They will either co-opt it or steal power from those who end up with it because whoever that is will be much weaker than Mubarak.

Edited by koheesti

I believe pretty much nothing on that list, these demonstrations are happening due to harsh treatments and inequalities being handed down to the people for far too long and they are fed up with it.

Regardless of what I think, if the people of Egypt get rid of their current dictatorial regime and decide to implement a full Saudi style Sharia law system then that's completely up to them.

Many of us in Iran in early 1978 had the same attitude you profess. Unfortunately we were wrong.

One year later Iran was an Islamic Republic and the world hasn't been the same since.

Be wary of what you wish for.

PS: I don't receive 'certain US TV channels'.

Many of us in Iran in early 1978 had the same attitude you profess. Unfortunately we were wrong.

One year later Iran was an Islamic Republic and the world hasn't been the same since.

Fox News which is the travesty of a news channel whom I'm referring to. They've been covering this from a very distorted angle right from the beginning.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/02/10/muslim-brotherhood-win/

Interestingly enough they also put a lot of faith into the Pew Research 'poll' mentioned earlier in the thread.

Too bad that they will likely end up with worse than they have now, plus bye bye Internet. :(

You're right, it's my opinion too. The muslim brotherhood could well take power in all these middle-east countries ...

Fox News which is the travesty of a news channel whom I'm referring to. They've been covering this from a very distorted angle right from the beginning.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/02/10/muslim-brotherhood-win/

Interestingly enough they also put a lot of faith into the Pew Research 'poll' mentioned earlier in the thread.

Unfortunately I do not receive Fox News and haven't had the pleasure of watching it with any regularity in nearly six years. I only get CNN International and BBC, watching only CNN when required. I know the Muslim Brotherhood from my 30 years working and living in the Middle East.

I tend to surf the internet and make my own decisions, rather than relying on a news feed for my opinions.

Here is another possibility nobody has yet commented on:

Posted 07:20 PM ET

Islamofascism: Romantics in Western media expect "democracy" to flower from the anti-Mubarak rioting in Cairo. But polling shows Egyptians actually seek strict Islamic rule.

According to a major survey conducted last year by the Pew Research Center, adults in Egypt don't crave Western-style democracy, as pundits have blithely trumpeted throughout coverage of the unrest.

Far from it, the vast majority of them want a larger role for Islam in government. This includes making barbaric punishments, such as stoning adulterers and executing apostates, the law of their country. With the ouster of their secular, pro-American leader, they may get their wish.

Among highlights from the Pew poll:

• 49% of Egyptians say Islam plays only a "small role" in public affairs under President Hosni Mubarak, while 95% prefer the religion play a "large role in politics."

• 84% favor the death penalty for people who leave the Muslim faith.

• 82% support stoning adulterers.

• 77% think thieves should have their hands cut off.

• 54% support a law segregating women from men in the workplace.

• 54% believe suicide bombings that kill civilians can be justified.

• Nearly half support the terrorist group Hamas.

More here: http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article/562840/201102101920/What-Egyptians-Really-Do-Want.htm

Obama has in my oppinion seriously miscalculated by turning against Mubarak. There are echoes here to when Jimmy Carter cut the Shah of Iran loose only to have the mad Mullahs take over. The phrase better the devil you know springs to mind and if Obama thinks the carrot/stick of U.S funding will result in a pro-U.S Egypt I think he's sadly deluded.

BREAKING NEWS from The New York Times

Mubarak Reportedly Leaves Cairo

Published: February 11, 2011

By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK, ANTHONY SHADID and ALAN COWELL

CAIRO —The Egyptian military appeared to assert its leadership Friday amid growing indications that President Hosni Mubarak was yielding all power. A Western official said that Mr. Mubarak had left the capital, though that could not be independently confirmed.

The Associated Press, citing a local official, said that Mr. Mubarak had flown to the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheik, about 250 miles from Cairo, where he maintains a residence. State TV said he would be making another statement later on Friday.

Angry protesters, who had swarmed by the thousands into the streets here Friday morning, were hardly mollified by the news of Mr. Mubarak's exit and an accompanying statement by the Supreme Council of the Egyptian Armed Forces over state television and radio indicating that the military, not Mr. Mubarak, was in effective control of the country. They said they would not believe he was gone until he had formally relinquished his title as president, and until his handpicked successor, Vice President Omar Suleiman, had been ousted as well.

It was unclear whether the military was backing Mr. Suleiman, though the military's statement does allude to the delegation of power to him. Mr. Suleiman himself has not made a statement. The military also did not indicate whether it intended to take meaningful steps toward democracy or embark on a new military dictatorship.

Continues here:

http://www.nytimes.c...?_r=1&hp&emc=na

LaoPo

Egypt's Mubarak steps down, vice president says

watson.egypt.palace.cnn.640x360.jpg1px.gif

Protesters head for presidential palace

By the CNN Wire StaffFebruary 11, 2011 -- Updated 1616 GMT (0016 HKT)

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• Vice President Omar Suleiman says armed forces will run the country
  • He makes the announcement on state television
  • A source says Mubarak has left Cairo

http://edition.cnn.c...dex.html?hpt=T1 with VIDEO

LaoPo

February 11, 2011

Mubarak Steps Down, Ceding Power to Military

By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK, ANTHONY SHADID and ALAN COWELL

CAIRO — President Hosni Mubarak of Egypt turned over all power to the military, and left the Egyptian capital for his resort home in Sharm el-Sheik, Vice President Omar Suleiman announced on state television on Friday.

The announcement, delivered during evening prayers in Cairo, set off a frenzy of celebration, with protesters shouting "Egypt is free!"

The Egyptian military issued a communiqué pledging to carry out a variety of constitutional reforms in a statement notable for its commanding tone. The military's statement alluded to the delegation of power to Mr. Suleiman and it suggested that the military would supervise implementation of the reforms.

NYT: http://www.nytimes.c....html?hp&emc=na

LaoPo

Mubarak's Assets Frozen by Swiss Government

ZURICH, Feb 11 (Reuters) - Switzerland has frozen assets that may belong to Hosni Mubarak, who stepped down as president of Egypt on Friday after 30 years of rule, the foreign ministry said. "I can confirm that Switzerland has frozen possible assets of the former Egyptian president with immediate effect," spokesman Lars Knuchel said soon after Mubarak bowed to 18 days of mass protests. "As a result of this measure any assets are frozen for three years."

He did not say how much money was involved or where it was.

Assets belonging to Mubarak's associates would also be targeted so as to limit the chance of state funds being plundered, the ministry said. Mubarak and his associates would be prevented from selling or otherwise disposing of property, notably real estate.

http://www.huffingto...d_n_822003.html

LaoPo

UPDATE 1-Swiss freeze possible Mubarak assets

* Any assets of Mubarak, associates frozen immediately

* Freeze applies for three years - foreign ministry

By Catherine Bosley and Oliver Hirt

ZURICH, Feb 11 (Reuters) - Switzerland has frozen assets that may belong to Hosni Mubarak, who stepped down as president of Egypt on Friday after 30 years of rule, the foreign ministry said.

"I can confirm that Switzerland has frozen possible assets of the former Egyptian president with immediate effect," spokesman Lars Knuchel said soon after Mubarak bowed to 18 days of mass protests. "As a result of this measure any assets are frozen for three years."

He did not say how much money was involved or where it was.

http://www.reuters.c...E71A23820110211

LaoPo