Bakeries In Phan...

extexthai

Was wondering if anyone knows if there is a bakery in Phan? I live in Phayao....and there definitely is none here. I understand that the Lotus in Phan, carries a lot more and sometimes, different Farrang oriented items than the Lotus in Phayao. I have driven by many times on the way to CR, but have never stopped and checked it out....but I certainly will the next trip up. Thanks in advance....ett

I would think that if you have a 7-11 near you then they carry a small selection of cakes,croissants , chocolate bread and the normal square crap that they sell, other than that , buy here taker home and freeze what you need until you need it .

The wife and I usually hit Tourist Inn with a phone call the previous night before, but was looking for something a wee bit closer if possible. And those so called, pastry items available at the 7-11 really doesn't do anything for the palette, if you know what I mean. We were making frequent trips up to CR when we were in the house building mode, but now that it is complete, we seldom get up that way. But thanks for that insight, I appreciate it mucho. ett

• 11 months later...

You show see some bakeries opposite the Vyeng market in Phayao. Just near the shops where the Taxi Stand is. They have some freshly baked Cakes,Breads and Crosiants.

What about getting an oven and get the wife kneading some dough.

Some nice apple tarts and wheaten bread are not hard to make.

Lots of good ingredient shops here in Chiang Rai and if you need a few receipes, my wife will be glad to share them.

Edited by dindong

Yes, Dingdong, an oven is in the future....sometime this year. I roughed out an opening under the counter in the outside kitchen when we built the house. I just haven't got to that place on the "list". But it is coming up soon. I want one before next November, as I plan to bake a turkey for a Thanksgiving dinner. Am looking for a reliable electric one. I have heard too many negative things about the gas fired ones. Bread, cakes and cookies (especially vanilla wafers like the ones stateside) and the occasional meat loaf and lasagna dish. I grew up on a wonderful desert that the southern part of the US is renowned for....it is called, banana pudding and is made with these small cookies called vanilla wafers. I have heard that they are available in Chiang Mai, but just under the current cost of gold. So I will have to make my own for this. Bon Appitiet or something like that. ett