New Lifan 250 Models

kvic

About the debate on China-made Lifan.....

When Malaysia started manufacturing its own national cars, many said there could not be quality. Some even said if you scratched on the body, you would see the words "Milo", "Nestle", "XXX Curry Chicken" etc. Today, almost 50% of the cars in Malaysia are either Protons or Peroduas. I drove a Proton for 13 years without major problems before I sold it and bought a Honda Civic. I don't think I dare saying my RM$113K Honda Civic is giving me fewer problems than the RM$55K Proton.

I have had too much bad experience with China-made electrical household items. On the other hand, I can reasonably trust the quality of China-made electonic items such as MP3 players, cellphones and so on. Whether I can trust the China goods, it depends on what sort of products they are.

Currently I am very keen to get the Lifan LF250-B. I would have bought it if not because of the registration hassles. My brother in-law tried to persuade me into buying a 15 years old Honda Steed (B$75,000). I refused. I would rather get a new Lifan.

China's rockets have been to space too many times than I can remember. So far no explosion after launching. Oh, yeah... I think they can make a decent bike.

Edited by LawrenceLam

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've yet to even see a Lifan on the streets

Means nothing. You don't see any Triumphs on the street either.

If you DID see a Lifan on the streets, does that mean it's OK now?

I see one on the streets, and I know the satisfied owner.

and there's lots of reports here in Thailand of some pretty big (yet basic) issues.

Ah, no. There are a few reports by couple of owners over what turned out be trivial issues, all now fixed, and the owners are now happy. No Lifan buyer has an regrets.

I live in Thailand so am curious about the ones available here.

You aren't curious. You made up your mind when you heard "Chinese" and saw a few trivial problems.

Are you seriously suggesting that these bikes are as reliable as the japanese ones. Or are you just saying that because they are cheaper buyers have to put up with some faults? Because 3000km isn't a feat in my eyes.

I'm suggesting they might be. As others here have said, the jury's still out; but, so far so good. The basic tech is Yamaha tech.

It's true the cheaper price helps in mitigating the pain of maintenance--pain felt with ownership of any bike. There's no "have to" that applies to Lifan any more than with any other bike, so far. To take some random examples relating your beloved Japanese bikes and the shops that supposedly maintain them (I don't have time to dig further, but we probably can find problems/complaints w/ most bikes):

"The fuel tank lock on my 650R was impossible to open after the bike had been parked outdoors for 3 weeks due to corrugation."

"I had a CBR 125 for a while in the UK and the gearbox was terrible. Apparently a very common problem on them, even the older ones. "

"Now I find that he sold me Indonesian bias-ply Dunlops."

And I remind you of the Honda V4 problem (major problem) and the Phantom cam chain tensioner problem--EVEN THOUGH "100's of thousands have bought Japanese bikes."

While you're wasting time sneering at Lifan, Lifan owners are happily out riding. I'd buy one in a minute, but I still got a lot of life left in my lowly Phantom.

While you're wasting time sneering at Lifan, Lifan owners are happily out riding. I'd buy one in a minute, but I still got a lot of life left in my lowly Phantom.

I'm not sneering at anyone, I considered a Lifan but haven't heard any good things, and no I dont count "I had this problem and then this problem and then it was back at the dealers for 6 weeks but now I've managed to reach 3,000kms, fingers crossed" as good.

The guy 2 doors down from me has a triumph.

I'm not sneering at anyone, I considered a Lifan but haven't heard any good things, and no I dont count "I had this problem and then this problem and then it was back at the dealers for 6 weeks but now I've managed to reach 3,000kms, fingers crossed" as good.

The guy 2 doors down from me has a triumph.

I think you make a good point. I have a B-250 with 3000K now and my jury is still out on it. Fine riding bike, good power curve for a 250 and great on fuel. It is no "NINJA" corner bike, but no cruiser is. No issues and as with all new bikes expect some little growing pains. Don't let the cheap price throw you, maybe a market strat. Very solid Yamaha Clone, even the frame is beefier. Back home in Canada, we don't have long riding seasons, but have NEVER owned a "no pain" breakin bike yet. Part of the joy of riding is doing a little self preservation wrenching and jsut giving it a quick shine, which the Lifan has, lots of shine.

• 4 weeks later...

Update

I was in to the dealership to change the oil in my Ryuka. The told me my Lifan was done. A full three weeks before the said. He told me it was my carberatuer. Evidently a new Lifan came in so the robbed parts off that. Anyway I quickly made arrangements to get a ride back. ( harder than you ma think everyone is harvesting rice.) I picked it up sounded great. I drove it through town perfect. I got on highway or road 24 and opened up. Got up to the 110 mark and after about two kilos noticed my speedometer doing a little dance then soon after I started losing power and then running on one cylinder. I turn around and drive back to town. I have to stop to turn on the road into Det Udom. So when I take off again it seems to be running well. I take it back to the shop. I use my very little Thai to tell him it is not running well again and ask him to try it. He comes back says it runs fine. I call my girlfriend to translate the problem. He then proceeds to tell her that I need to bring it back in 5 days he will send it to the main dealer. I say ok and leave I make it back to 24 before it loses power and will only go about 40k. So I turn around a leave it. And have someone come pick me up. Evidently he told my uncle in law that he has now replaced everything he don't know what is wrong. Now supposedly going to be another month. Will give another update.

are u sure its not a tiger boxer ?/ :D

Why? Is that what yours did?

in a word ,YES

every time they "fixed it" a few miles later something else broke ,fell off or started leaking oil again (which nobody could apparently fix,at the dealership service place or even the factory )

(serviced about 6 times in 2 months )

i got so fcuked off bringing it to the service centre i nearly took a sledgehammer to it but my wife and cold beer calmed me down enough to walk away from it ,those people should not be allowed to sell/service motorbikes

Wana could you provide me an update on the Lifan I am thinking about purchasing one.

Thanks

Moe

Update

I was in to the dealership to change the oil in my Ryuka. The told me my Lifan was done. A full three weeks before the said. He told me it was my carberatuer. Evidently a new Lifan came in so the robbed parts off that. Anyway I quickly made arrangements to get a ride back. ( harder than you ma think everyone is harvesting rice.) I picked it up sounded great. I drove it through town perfect. I got on highway or road 24 and opened up. Got up to the 110 mark and after about two kilos noticed my speedometer doing a little dance then soon after I started losing power and then running on one cylinder. I turn around and drive back to town. I have to stop to turn on the road into Det Udom. So when I take off again it seems to be running well. I take it back to the shop. I use my very little Thai to tell him it is not running well again and ask him to try it. He comes back says it runs fine. I call my girlfriend to translate the problem. He then proceeds to tell her that I need to bring it back in 5 days he will send it to the main dealer. I say ok and leave I make it back to 24 before it loses power and will only go about 40k. So I turn around a leave it. And have someone come pick me up. Evidently he told my uncle in law that he has now replaced everything he don't know what is wrong. Now supposedly going to be another month. Will give another update.

are u sure its not a tiger boxer ?/ :D

Why? Is that what yours did?

in a word ,YES

every time they "fixed it" a few miles later something else broke ,fell off or started leaking oil again (which nobody could apparently fix,at the dealership service place or even the factory )

(serviced about 6 times in 2 months )

i got so fcuked off bringing it to the service centre i nearly took a sledgehammer to it but my wife and cold beer calmed me down enough to walk away from it ,those people should not be allowed to sell/service motorbikes

Wana could you provide me an update on the Lifan I am thinking about purchasing one.

Thanks

Moe

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Bikers,

Just to let you know I have both the Lifan 250-B and the 200 dirt bike.

I would have had them longer than six months now and have had no problems. I think I will change tyres on the cruiser when I eventually wear these ones down as I picked up a nail quite easily. I also ahd a tube split near the valve on the 200.

I ahve no problems and do regular runs on the cruiser to Baan Chang from Pattaya. I guess the only problem Ihave is that I find both bikes a bit underpowered but then I also find my 250 CBR to be underpowered.

For the record I left both bikes sit for 6 weeks when I was away working and have come back and although slow to start both started no problems at all.

One thing I will say about the cruiser is that when the petrol guage on the cruiser flashes that your are on empty you really are on empty. I have ran out of petrol twice. I have also dropped the cruiser three times so it is in the shop now but all is running well.

Hello Bikers,

Just to let you know I have both the Lifan 250-B and the 200 dirt bike.

I would have had them longer than six months now and have had no problems. I think I will change tyres on the cruiser when I eventually wear these ones down as I picked up a nail quite easily. I also ahd a tube split near the valve on the 200.

I ahve no problems and do regular runs on the cruiser to Baan Chang from Pattaya. I guess the only problem Ihave is that I find both bikes a bit underpowered but then I also find my 250 CBR to be underpowered.

For the record I left both bikes sit for 6 weeks when I was away working and have come back and although slow to start both started no problems at all.

One thing I will say about the cruiser is that when the petrol guage on the cruiser flashes that your are on empty you really are on empty. I have ran out of petrol twice. I have also dropped the cruiser three times so it is in the shop now but all is running well.

Is your tank on the reserve setting?

On my LF 250 Cruiser I have not seen a petrol empty light. I drive 300-350 kms and get fuel before I even need reserve. I keep meaning to run it dry before the reserve is required, and then to run it dry to see exactly how my beast behaves, but keep forgetting to take a fuel container on jaunts.

Modest country riding gets me 34.8 kms pr. liter.

• 1 month later...

I have been riding my new Lifan 250 for a month. Here is something to share.

1. Basically I am quite happy with the bike although there are some minor problems.

2. I spent B$4,000 changing the whole exhaust pipes. I find the original pipes a bit dull. I don't like the fact that the upper pipe is for decorative purposes only (all exhaust is diverted to the lower pipe). I replaced it with something more VROOMMMM.

3. I found the rear wheel swaying. The China-made bearing crushed. I changed to Kawasaki-made bearing at B$360.

4. After sending my bike for a wash, the bike was under hot sun for a full day. And I found heavy condensation in the speedometer. I guess it was because they used high pressure water jet to wash the bike. No problem when I washed it with a water hose.

5. The most annoying thing is.... It is very difficult to get into free gear. Sometimes it is already in free gear but the green light does not light up.

6. Power and smoothness are up to my expectation.

Good to hear such reports and that you are happy with your bike. Would be nice to see a picture of the new pipe :)

3. I found the rear wheel swaying. The China-made bearing crushed. I changed to Kawasaki-made bearing at B$360.

There was a problem with the front wheel bearing on a Cross200 reported a few days ago. If you had problems after just one month and the other guy after less than 10,000km then there may really is a problem with the bearings. OK, not a big thing to replace them, but this should not happen.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Basically I am quite happy with the bike although there are some minor problems.

2. I spent B$4,000 changing the whole exhaust pipes. I find the original pipes a bit dull. I don't like the fact that the upper pipe is for decorative purposes only (all exhaust is diverted to the lower pipe). I replaced it with something more VROOMMMM.

4. After sending my bike for a wash, the bike was under hot sun for a full day. And I found heavy condensation in the speedometer. I guess it was because they used high pressure water jet to wash the bike. No problem when I washed it with a water hose.

5. The most annoying thing is.... It is very difficult to get into free gear. Sometimes it is already in free gear but the green light does not light up.

Hello Lawrence,

Thank you for your post. Are you in Pattaya by chance.

What type of exhaust did you put on it and does it sound better. A picture would be great.

I have also ahd baring problems and they were replaced last service.

I also frequently get condensation in the speedometer.

I mentioend that when my bioke fuel guage starts flashing on empty you can be literall a few hundred meters from running out. He said something about the tank not being set to reserve. Do you know anything about this?

One small detail, I was told that the wheels Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda and even Lifan is using in Thailand comes from http://www.uam.co.th/webuam/productsRIMs.html

About point number 5: you can get that adjusted I had a similar problem and it is ok now.

Any resale experience from any owners? Lose 50% the first year of ownership?

you will be lucky if you can even find a buyer ,chinese bikes are not exactly sought after in thailand

even the most money conscious thai always pays the premium for honda or yamaha etc

most likely it will be a farang that will buy a bike like that

All the Thai people in my area have come past and made comment on the bike and they are quite surprised when I say it is a Chinese company. I also quickly show them the made in Thailand sticker on the bike.

The local British bargin hunter caught a rumor that I might be heading back to Oz on short notice so sent his wife round to make a starting offer of 50K. Purchase price 80K so not so bad. He keeps telling me he wants to buy it even though I have told him sorry it is not for sale.

Canuckamuck,

Thanks for the advice. I will get the technician to fix it. Good to hear it can be solved. Is it the mechanical or electrical part?

========================================

Richard-BKK,

Not sure what you were asking.

For me I only had the problem in the mechanical portion and they adjusted it. My nuetral light always worked so I can't comment on that.

• 3 weeks later...

The pair of exhaust pipes cost me B4,500. Stainless steel straight pipes. I removed the silencers as the pipes were not loud enough.

I am traveling on bus now. Will post photo once I am back.

why do you need a louder bike?, does takeing out the silencers improve performance?

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest problem with my Lifan 250 was the neutral gear green light. Most of the time when the gear was in neutral position, the green light did not lit.

I purchased my bike at Siamchai Hat Yai. I brought my bike there two weeks ago. After trying for an hour, they failed to fix it. The boss then told me to go back there again in a week while they ordered the spare part.

Today, I left my bike there. In less than two hours, they called me asking me to collect the bike. It was FIXED!!! So far so good.

Who says Lifan cannot provide good service? I think it also depends on the seller. I am very happy with Siamchai.

My wife said the boss and staff there were very friendly. I agreed.

Edited by LawrenceLam

I brought my bike back to Siamchai for 1,000km 1st service. I told the supervisor I would like to replace the China-made front wheel bearing with a Japan-made. I replaced the rear bearing earlier as it was crushed. There are other negative reports on the poor quality bearings.

The supervisor said Lifan's rep admitted there was something wrong with their first batch bearing. They sent some new bearings to Siamchai. The old and new bearings look exactly the same but with different model numbers.

Siamchai advised me to use the new Lifan bearing as they would replace it for me free. I accepted.

Together with lubricant replacement, they only charged me B$200.

Another thumb-up for Siamchai, Hat Yai.

Glad you got your neutral indicator fixed, but I wouldn't expect any shop to be unable to fix something like that. I got some minor repairs done by Lifan as well, but they missed the bad bearing thing 5 times, and then when I had a failure they charged me for the new one. Now according to you, they have known about the bad bearings and it should have been the first thing they checked. There should have been a recall for the bearings, but instead they let the owners find out on the highway that the bearings are faulty.

It is good you are happy with your bike, I am also still happy with mine, but I hesitate to give any credit to the service department. They have a long way to go.

• Like 1

I brought my bike back to Siamchai for 1,000km 1st service. I told the supervisor I would like to replace the China-made front wheel bearing with a Japan-made. I replaced the rear bearing earlier as it was crushed. There are other negative reports on the poor quality bearings.

The supervisor said Lifan's rep admitted there was something wrong with their first batch bearing. They sent some new bearings to Siamchai. The old and new bearings look exactly the same but with different model numbers.

Siamchai advised me to use the new Lifan bearing as they would replace it for me free. I accepted.

Together with lubricant replacement, they only charged me B$200.

Another thumb-up for Siamchai, Hat Yai.

Could you give the old and new model numbers? Friend of mine has a Lifan and may want to make the change. But so far no evidence of defect has been noticed.

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody,

Seriously considering getting the Lifan V250B custom cruiser, I have had a Phantom from new and a Boss before that. Couple of questions (i) Fuel, what is the consensus 91 Benzine or 95 Gasahol. (ii) The dealer won't let me have a test ride so I have only sat on the bike. I am 6'1" and find the low seat position and footpegs uncomfortable, easy fix I know with a bit of modification to the seat and footplates.

I've read through the thread and figure that the majority of you are happy with whatever Lifan you have bought. A couple of glitches here and there but that is to be expected.

Before anyone asks, no the Phantom is not for sale ha ha, as my gal loves to ride it and we plan on doing some tours.

Happy and safe rides

Chris