Koh Lanta - Help Needed

Amapola

People here give much help each other, advising, sharing experiences. Which I personally appreciate a lot, it has helped many times so far during my travel around the Kingdom.

Guys but this time I want to ask you for real-real help.

I`m staying on Koh Lanta, at a rented house on the hills. A stray dog has recently had puppies (actually first time I met them this Saturday, after screams when one was attacked by wild male dogs). The dog turned out to be starving. So during these few days I`m feeding her and 3 puppies, she is staying under one of the houses within the "resort".

Today a bad accident happened - a local girl ran over a puppy while parking. And she just left him there without even checking whether he is dead or alive. Unfortunately I found him later, he was still alive. Great thanks to the staff from Lanta animal welfare - they put down the puppy to sleep (meanwhile the thai people came up with a pair of tongs and garbage sack intending to bury him...being still ALIVE).

The thing is - after a long journey I`m going home end of next week and it can`t be shifted. The Animal welfare are planning to get the dog sterilized as soon as the vet arrives. But 2 puppies are still left... I realize that there are many on the whole island and we can`t help all. But we can start somewhere. These two have gone through hard times...and they deserve a nice person ready to adopt them with his mind and heart.

I`ll attach photos tomorrow. Please PM me if you want to have a look at puppies, or have an idea how to help.

P.S. I can transport them to Krabi or somewhere...

Edited by Amapola

Amapola, may I first just say your heart is in the right place.

You mentioned you are already working with an animal welfare group there in Lanta, is that Junie at Time For Lime?

Stray dogs are a problem all over Thailand, again, your heart is in the right place, and it's admirable that you are making an effort for these animals, you definitely are better than the people who have a dog for four or five years, decide to leave the country and dump the animal either at the nearest temple or abandon it, this happens often.

A big problem animal-wise too is the Muslim contingent on Lanta, they will actually intentionally harm these animals.

Do you have a budget to make some fliers? Take a cute photo and post about? Otherwise I would check in with Junie (if you haven't already) and ask her the best way to proceed. Cheers, GOM

You mentioned you are already working with an animal welfare group there in Lanta, is that Junie at Time For Lime?

Stray dogs are a problem all over Thailand, again, your heart is in the right place, and it's admirable that you are making an effort for these animals, you definitely are better than the people who have a dog for four or five years, decide to leave the country and dump the animal either at the nearest temple or abandon it, this happens often.an c

A big problem animal-wise too is the Muslim contingent on Lanta, they will actually intentionally harm these animals.

Do you have a budget to make some fliers? Take a cute photo and post about? Otherwise I would check in with Junie (if you haven't already) and ask her the best way to proceed. Cheers, GOM

Unfortunately I don`t know the girl`s name - the red haired...) well I just don`t know whether there are expats living on the island - I mean whether fliers will make sense... I can compile a flier with a picture and text, but I`m tight on budget.

thank you that you reacted!!

Stray dogs are a problem all over Thailand, again, your heart is in the right place, and it's admirable that you are making an effort for these animals, you definitely are better than the people who have a dog for four or five years, decide to leave the country and dump the animal either at the nearest temple or abandon it, this happens often.an c

Unfortunately I don`t know the girl`s name - the red haired...) well I just don`t know whether there are expats living on the island - I mean whether fliers will make sense... I can compile a flier with a picture and text, but I`m tight on budget.

thank you that you reacted!!

Junie at Time For Lime runs an animal shelter on Lanta.

Definitely not a girl, I'd say she's closer to 50 years old (sorry Junie if you see this, just guessing!) and last I saw her she had brown hair.

Sure, understood on the budget, but if you have not contacted Junie yet, do, she'll have good input for you.

Best of luck to you. Cheers, GOM