Teacher License. Help.

a99az

What to do? As a teacher at a government school I must acquire a teachers license by the end of this year, to be able to remain at my school. The school wants me to stay, they have pleaded for me to get my teaching license. I would apply, but don't want to pay best part of this years salary back to them for something that is of little or no use to man or beast out side of Thailand. Is there a way to get a teaching license from another country, on line would be good. Any advice would be most welcome as I am sure there are many in the same boat. unsure.gif

Yes I have already started making plans for a move, so if you know of a school who would like an English teacher, ring my bell.

Edited by a99az

Do you mean an education degree?:blink:

Regarding the TL, surely you must be on a waiver now. To renew it all you need to do is take one of the TCT exams, observe a class & jump through a hoop. :ermm:

I started teaching again last year (May) after being away in Spain for two years. I was given a two year waiver when the school got my W/P.

I did my TEFL Jan 2010 and took this job thinking that all I had to do now was the culture joke. That is OK couple of days and not to expensive.

What is the TCT exam? Cant believe it's that simple.

The TCT gives exams which are good toward completing an education degree (here in Thailand); sort of an 'upgrade'. To take the tests, you need to have a Bachelor's Degree. Do you have a Bachelor's degree or is a TEFL your only qualification?

The TCT gives exams which are good toward completing an education degree (here in Thailand); sort of an 'upgrade'. To take the tests, you need to have a Bachelor's Degree. Do you have a Bachelor's degree or is a TEFL your only qualification?

Yes I have a Bachelor's and a TEFL. Where do you do the TCT?

Do you mean an education degree?:blink:

Regarding the TL, surely you must be on a waiver now. To renew it all you need to do is take one of the TCT exams, observe a class & jump through a hoop. :ermm:

I started teaching again last year (May) after being away in Spain for two years. I was given a two year waiver when the school got my W/P.

I did my TEFL Jan 2010 and took this job thinking that all I had to do now was the culture joke. That is OK couple of days and not to expensive.

What is the TCT exam? Cant believe it's that simple.

It isn't, although by all reports one is & three aren't. <_<

The TCT exams are the exams that Thai teachers have to pass in order to be awarded a teaching 'degree'.<_<

In order to have your waiver renewed, you need to engage in three out of ten CPD activities. The exams are 1000B each & you just need to take one, not pass it, in order to tick one box. Take the culture culture course & sleep for an hour at the back of someone's class then you're sorted; kind of.:ermm:

To take the tests, you need to have a Bachelor's Degree.

Just to contribute, you merely have to say you have a Bachelor's Degree. You don't have to actually have one, no one is checking, no one Thai seems actually care be honest about it all. I could also say some Thai's don't care(and/or have the ability to know) if you can speak English either. The more I type, the more I realize it's all about the money at least in the Government schools. If the parents could be convinced Filipinos speak and can teach proper English, I think all you farangs would be back in your homelands.

Whether or not someone checks is not really an issue. I believe you fill out a form giving the details of your degree--at least one application I saw requested it. Lying on the form and signing it might just come back to haunt you in the end.

Previous posters have said they had to take one test (I don't know how many parts there are to an exam). You didn't need to pass; just take it.

If anyone has different information, please feel free to post it here.

About two or three years ago, our Administrative Assistant who handles the paperwork on TL, Visas and WP, was told by the Teacher's Council that they would give 3 waivers, good for two years each.

Again, if posters have different information or experience, please let us know.

That situation may now have changed.

In order to have your waiver renewed, you need to engage in three out of ten CPD activities.

Never read/heard about "three". Is this rumor or fact? Thanks.

Probably both.:lol:

From the ajarn.net forum, paperwork section, first sticky:

Teacher's License Renewal Requirements

A teacher renewing his/her license must include three of the following activities. Completion of these activities must take place between the issue date of your teacher's license and the expiration date. The activities cannot overlap in any way.

01. Earn a certificate related to teaching or education.

02. Have taken short Culture Course and have certificate from the Ministry of Education.

03. Pass a short education course related to your work.

04. Achieve a promotion in your work position that has been approved by the appropriate government agencies.

05. Be a guest speaker in an educational format that promotes education.

06. Write a journal, article, or book related to education.

07. Create an original project that can be used for learning or helping in education.

08. Complete research that helps directly helps or relates directly to education.

09. Win an award from the Ministry of Education, or from a school, university, college or institution.

10. Participate in an educational related conference or seminar and show proof of registration or other evidence of having attended.

11. Visit another school. Observe teaching approaches and report on your experience.

12. Create a project or an activity that promotes learning.

:ph34r:

Edited by ELCata

^^ But isn't that for renewal when you already have your licence rather than when you're on a waiver?

All the teacher s in my school have just sat one or more of the exams. They were told that one exam was enough to keep the visa train running.

I have to respectfully disagree. My TL is valid for 5 years.

In that time I have to tick 3 of those boxes in the list in your previous post. Having said that- the list you posted is not identical to the one I've seen (in terms of wording) so maybe there is a difference.

Edited by Slip

^^ But isn't that for renewal when you already have your licence rather than when you're on a waiver?

From the wording it would seem so, but AFAIK the TL proper is for life, so I think it refers to renewal of the 2 year waiver.:huh:

Nope. As Slip wrote, a teacher license is valid for 5 years.

Me thinks I could have a solution, in the form of a job offer out side Thailand. Paying 3500 USD pm plus family flights full med's school for the girls modern A/C house no power or water bills. Just sad I have to take off from here just now, I wonder how many others will be leaving for pastures green. whistling.gif

Sounds nice a99az, can I ask the country?

I've been eyeing o/seas possibilities for quite a while now, but I still realise that it's all just pipe dreams- I just don't think I can bring myself to leave.

[LOL- edited out those pesky meeces]

Edited by Slip

Could someone possibly spell "teaching licence waiver" for me in Thai?

My school still denies that I have one, which makes me worried. None of us seem to have a licence or waiver, though we all have valid work permits. Strange, but some of us are worried about changing jobs now.

Thanks.

Hey a99az,

Teacher's License. . . Getting Teacher's License in Thailand is very easy. . . In your case you're already teaching in Thailand and I'm sure you already have a Work Permit . . All you need to do is to attend three consecutive days of Thai Culture Semminars and they will provide the certificate upon completion of the seminnar. . . Give your certificate to your school as well as an ID picture. . . The school will prepare your documents needed and pay 500 for your license. . . The Teachers Association of Thailand will conduct an investigation of all the documents as well as your diploma if its real . . . This certificate will just valid for 5 years and it is renewable. . . Lucky for you. specially if you're a Native English Speaker . . Me even I had my License 2 years ago I couldn't find job because I am not a Native English Speaker. . , Goodluck

All you need to do is to attend three consecutive days of Thai Culture Semminars and they will provide the certificate upon completion of the seminnar. . .

The Language, Ethics, Culture course has now been put on hold by the TCT, pending review.

The last courses completed on the 20th February.

The TCT are now completely reviewing the policies regarding licensing of foreign teachers.

Jing jing.

Renewed recently, no TL, no waiver, no TEFL, no degree(presented), no criminal background check, went alone. The office was quite busy. WP renewed as well, office not busy, no questions, nobody cared about all this "stuff".

Conclusion: I'm hired help, nothing more, such as a "teacher" or civil service employee. You are hired by the Thai government because they make money off you. We, which includes me, need to stop thinking we actually matter to anyone except the students. As a native speaker from the west who keeps her hands to herself, I think we can make a difference.

I don't know anything about private schools. Maybe that where all this hassle coming from?

Edited by BruceMangosteen

Renewed recently, no TL, no waiver, no TEFL, no degree(presented), no criminal background check, went alone. The office was quite busy. WP renewed as well, office not busy, no questions, nobody cared about all this "stuff".

Conclusion: I'm hired help, nothing more, such as a "teacher" or civil service employee. You are hired by the Thai government because they make money off you. We, which includes me, need to stop thinking we actually matter to anyone except the students. As a native speaker from the west who keeps her hands to herself, I think we can make a difference.

I don't know anything about private schools. Maybe that where all this hassle coming from?

What province are you working in? In Bangkok, they seem to be taking this all very seriously.

Helpful information for some.

Hard to believe this is within Bangkok........Please name the office you went to?

Edited by Phatcharanan