Buying Bike With Us Credit Card

KRS1

Has anyone ever paid for a bike in full with a US or foreign credit card? I have a few 0% apr cards that i may want to utilize to get extra miles along with 5% cashback.

Thanks!

Edited by KRS1

I asked about this in two places and was told that they must add 3% (not a problem in your case, perhaps), as that's what they are charged.

This was obviously, no serious survey, and might depend upon negotiations. In my cases, I asked only after the price was determined including other factors such as green book, ins., etc.

I asked about this in two places and was told that they must add 3% (not a problem in your case, perhaps), as that's what they are charged.

This was obviously, no serious survey, and might depend upon negotiations. In my cases, I asked only after the price was determined including other factors such as green book, ins., etc.

A friend of mine bought his ER6n on his UK credit card, when he first enquired he was told there would be no surcharge however when he went to make the purchase they pulled the 3% surcharge story, when he refused to buy they dropped the surcharge, processed the payment on his card and he left with a new bike.

Just make sure you let the bank know before hand. Sometimes banks will shut down a card that is used overseas And suddenly has a huge charge against it.

Happened to me twice untill I called the bank and told them to stop it!

Greg

Thanks for reminding me !

A year and a half ago, I paid for my new Nuovo with my North American MasterCard. There was an additional fee from the dealer for using it as they have to pay commissions on credit card use. I accepted that as it was a good money management process for me, and another way of getting the appropriate money from my North American bank account into Thailand without usual bank transfer fees. I was also able to delay the payment for an extra month due to billing and payment dates.

I would say get another credit card, American Express credit cards are not well accepted. Sure in tourist spots you will have no problem, but places were the average tourist doesn't come...(motorcycle shop) they often don't accept Amex cards.

In Thailand it seems that most shops accept Visa and Master card.

Good point, i'll get some money orders from the post office before i go back to thailand and deposit them into my US account before leaving, then transfer into thai account.

I have a Paypal MC but the interest is retarded.

I went to my bank and asked how big payment I could put on my card (if I bought a new bike), and I was told it was up to the dealership where I bought the bike, not the bank. That was not a credit-card, but visa, but I think it is the same with credit, as long as you don't go over credit-limit and give heads up to the bank.

Its pretty normal when buying from any shop in Thailand for them to add 3%. Exception is the big superstores.

Most UK credit card companies expect you to inform them you are in a foreign country, otherwise they will shut your card down, and if you are going to make a large purchase you may want to forewarn them too.

In my opinion good way to to buy large capital purchases as you don't need to bring the money in beforehand.

I buy all my pickup diesel on creditcards; always throws the attendant when I tell them I need to enter a pin!

Its pretty normal when buying from any shop in Thailand for them to add 3%. Exception is the big superstores.

Most UK credit card companies expect you to inform them you are in a foreign country, otherwise they will shut your card down, and if you are going to make a large purchase you may want to forewarn them too.

In my opinion good way to to buy large capital purchases as you don't need to bring the money in beforehand.

I buy all my pickup diesel on creditcards; always throws the attendant when I tell them I need to enter a pin!

Now, if I can find a good used bike that takes credit cards I'll be golden.

I went to my bank and asked how big payment I could put on my card (if I bought a new bike), and I was told it was up to the dealership where I bought the bike, not the bank. That was not a credit-card, but visa, but I think it is the same with credit, as long as you don't go over credit-limit and give heads up to the bank.

I believe BoT (Bank of Thailand) still does not allow more than 150.000 baht per transaction on foreign cards. But you can do more than one in a day.:)

and its gonna take a long time to find a bike dealer accepting AmEx in LOS. Visa and Mastercard in some delaerships

>>Its pretty normal when buying from any shop in Thailand for them to add 3%. Exception is the big superstores.

Just as a tangent to this thread, aren't all merchants that sign up with Visa M/C supposed to agree to their Terms and Conditions of accepting CC's of which one is to not add a service charge?

I once got 8000 UK pounds on a single credit card transaction to buy my first pickup here. That was about 13 years ago, before things got modern here (and easy). What amazed me was the bank (SCB) did not think it was unusual, and they counted it out in cash which was around 500,000 baht. So we go to the dealership with bags of money and collect the pickup!

My current pickup was bought along the lines of how you do things in the west. I transferred the money from abroad to my Thai bank, notifying what the money was for. Then my Thai bank raised a bank cheque and I took this to the dealer. Just goes to show how things have improved here.

I once got 8000 UK pounds on a single credit card transaction to buy my first pickup here. That was about 13 years ago, before things got modern here (and easy). What amazed me was the bank (SCB) did not think it was unusual, and they counted it out in cash which was around 500,000 baht. So we go to the dealership with bags of money and collect the pickup!

Really, that's odd...Did they credit your card as a 'purchase' or a cash advance? Seems like a high amount for it to be a cash advance, i also thought the limits to a cash advance were only around 25% of available credit for a purchase.

Unless of course you have a high credit limit, then i understand and bow down to you.