Contact Lenses Blamed For Eye Infection Outbreak In Bangkok

webfact

The NYT article quoted above said none of the major U.S. based contact lens manufacturers are producing these lenses....so presumably they're mostly being made and sold in Asia...

I wear hard contact lenses, and they're almost impossible to find (and replace) in Thailand... I don't know about the other poster's comment about yearly Big Eye lenses.... But I'm almost certain the Big Eye style of lens is a soft lens...not a hard RGP one.

UPDATE

Nationwide raid on sellers of 'Big Eye' lenses ordered

The authorities have ordered a nationwide raid on shops and websites selling "Big Eye" contact lenses illegally, with violators subject a total of five years in prisons and/or a maximum fine of Bt500,000.

The Public Health Ministry ordered the inspection in response to reports about users of "Big Eye" contact lenses sustaining eye injuries and severe infections. The first inspection was conducted on Wednesday at a shopping centre in Bangkok, where more than 10,000 pairs of the lenses were seized.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-18

The authorities have ordered a nationwide raid on shops and websites selling "Big Eye" contact lenses illegally, with violators subject a total of five years in prisons and/or a maximum fine of Bt500,000.

With all the things going on in Thailand they could be going after this simply seems a retarded response to 4 people getting what amounts to a serious case of pink eye in a 2 week period. I'm not saying if these things are dangerous they shouldn't do something but putting it in perspective with other criminal activity...

If the product is so bad, why is ONE company still allowed to import it?

And, as pointed out above, is it really that bad? 4 infections out of thousands of sales?

And maybe not even the fault of the lenses. People use their fingers to put lenses in their eyes. Maybe, just possibly, their fingers were dirty??

Smells fishy.

Edited by whybother

And, as pointed out above, is it really that bad? 4 infections out of thousands of sales?

And maybe not even the fault of the lenses. People use their fingers to put lenses in their eyes. Maybe, just possibly, their fingers were dirty??

Smells fishy.

Lol --- I forgot about the 1 company. I really wish reporters here asked questions instead of simply releasing what are like press releases from authorities.

And I think it is probably AT least tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands sold to Thais alone

Folks, the kind of eye infections described in the original report are NOT, as one of you put it, like a bad case of pink eye.

The kind described was a serious bacterial infection that could lead to vision impairment and/or blindness...depending on how far it progresses before receiving proper treatment.

Also, the original report cited four cases from one hospital. I highly doubt those are the only cases to have occurred... I don't believe eye infections here are treated like some other conditions where there is some kind of mandatory, centralized reporting to health authorities....

So in reality, we don't have any clue how many other cases there may have been where people went to their local hospital, received treatment and nothing more was heard or said about it. I have no basis to know how many there have been, but it's equally groundless to assume there have only been four cases.

Lastly, there certainly could have been two different contributing causes here...and again...we just don't know... One would be some kind of defective, contaminated lenses that caused the problem for the specific people that got them. The other, of course, could have been proper lenses that were worn too long or not handled/cleaned/disinfected in a proper manner.

Lol --- I forgot about the 1 company. I really wish reporters here asked questions instead of simply releasing what are like press releases from authorities.

And I think it is probably AT least tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands sold to Thais alone

Actually, I found this:

"The FDA revoked all import licences for the lens last October before calling for new applications. Only one company has since obtained a licence."

Still lots of questions ....

Smells fishy.

Seems a bit stupid to report this rediculous number of eye infection cases, could be a worldwide disaster, an unstoppable infection.:lol: Most Thai people do not take care of what they have. period. motor bikes,house painting, clothes, KIDS, money when they have it, or their health, so a contact lense would be easily replaced, if not cared for, and with not cleaning properly, hence/infections. Most would not clean with the recomended sterile cleaners, it would be under the tap. thattle do. I am not Thai bashing-sorry its reality, everyday experience, living amongst, seeing. and really Knowing. living in Bkk apartments does not always give people the info they need here. I am aware that not all do live in Bkk apartments, was just an example.

Folks, the kind of eye infections described in the original report are NOT, as one of you put it, like a bad case of pink eye.

The kind described was a serious bacterial infection that could lead to vision impairment and/or blindness...depending on how far it progresses before receiving proper treatment.

Also, the original report cited four cases from one hospital. I highly doubt those are the only cases to have occurred... I don't believe eye infections here are treated like some other conditions where there is some kind of mandatory, centralized reporting to health authorities....

So in reality, we don't have any clue how many other cases there may have been where people went to their local hospital, received treatment and nothing more was heard or said about it. I have no basis to know how many there have been, but it's equally groundless to assume there have only been four cases.

Lastly, there certainly could have been two different contributing causes here...and again...we just don't know... One would be some kind of defective, contaminated lenses that caused the problem for the specific people that got them. The other, of course, could have been proper lenses that were worn too long or not handled/cleaned/disinfected in a proper manner.

If there is no central reporting than and authorities then it would seem just as ridiculous to label only 4 cases known in two week as an outbreak. As for the comparisson to a bad case of Pink Eye .. it was sarcasm but you should be aware Pink Eye is also caused by bacteria and a bad case of pink eye can result in scaring and blindness. Since this is a bacteria issue and it has not reached "outbreak" proportions anywhere in the world I think it would be a safe bet at this point to lean towards "user error" as the problem if we were to speculate. But when you sell a product to kids that has the potential to cause health issues if not used properly these kinds of things can be expected.

I am all for making sure products that have the potential to cause harm, such as badly made contacts, have some kind of standards set in terms of product quality and user instructions but the bottom line is that "something is fishy" here .... as another poster put it,

But when you sell a product to kids that has the potential to cause health issues if not used properly these kinds of things can be expected.

I am all for making sure products that have the potential to cause harm, such as badly made contacts, have some kind of standards set in terms of product quality and user instructions but the bottom line is that "something is fishy" here .... as another poster put it,

I was one of the first people here to note the "all except one" supplier issue above, so I don't doubt the ability of the Thai authorities to go about their business in a conflicted, economic self interest kind of way.

That said, it's not enough to say "these kinds of things can be expected" when you sell a medical product (contact lenses) to kids... What you ought to be saying is, why is Thailand allowing a medical product to be sold to kids without proper medical dispensing and supervision?

Something a person wears on the surface of their eye isn't quite the same thing as picking out your favorite color of eye shadow or lipstick from the local store.

If there is no central reporting than and authorities then it would seem just as ridiculous to label only 4 cases known in two week as an outbreak. As for the comparisson to a bad case of Pink Eye .. it was sarcasm but you should be aware Pink Eye is also caused by bacteria and a bad case of pink eye can result in scaring and blindness. Since this is a bacteria issue and it has not reached "outbreak" proportions anywhere in the world I think it would be a safe bet at this point to lean towards "user error" as the problem if we were to speculate. But when you sell a product to kids that has the potential to cause health issues if not used properly these kinds of things can be expected.

My personal comment will read-insufficient cleanliness, hence bacterial infection, contagious passed by rubbing one eye with the bacteria on the finger and passing it onto the other eye---or person to person. It can dammage -period if unchecked. and is a common bact/infection here and worldwide easily treatable with drops. This thread is going to tell its own story of importance by the number of posters responding. a few cases--tut-tut

I was one of the first people here to note the "all except one" supplier issue above, so I don't doubt the ability of the Thai authorities to go about their business in a conflicted, economic self interest kind of way.

That said, it's not enough to say "these kinds of things can be expected" when you sell a medical product (contact lenses) to kids... What you ought to be saying is, why is Thailand allowing a medical product to be sold to kids without proper medical dispensing and supervision?

Something a person wears on the surface of their eye isn't quite the same thing as picking out your favorite color of eye shadow or lipstick from the local store.

I can go into any shop that sells glasses with a trained optometrist and get a packet of contact lenses "without proper medical dispensing and supervision".

Either this product is faulty and shouldn't be dispensed anywhere, or it is user error.

In the US you cannot buy contacts without a prescription. So each and every time you go to buy contacts you need to have a prescription from the doctor regardless of the time frame and the fact that your eyes have not changed.

Anybody have any opinion or knowledge if this is over kill in order to make doctors more money or is this something that came about because of real concern over the dangers of wearing contacts or some other issue?

I can go into any shop that sells glasses with a trained optometrist and get a packet of contact lenses "without proper medical dispensing and supervision".

Either this product is faulty and shouldn't be dispensed anywhere, or it is user error.

You're making a flawed argument... Part of what ought to come with the purchase of contact lenses from an optometrist shop is guidance on how to properly use and maintain them, in addition to potential fitting issues.

Someone who already has a prescription from a doctor for lenses may not need that instruction every time because they've already received it. But some teenager who's never worn contact lenses and never seen an optometrist to receive them most certainly does.

It's a flaw in the Thai system that allows people to purchase and use these kinds of lenses...without ever having any prescription or proper fitting and guidance from an eye professional.

In the US you cannot buy contacts without a prescription. So each and every time you go to buy contacts you need to have a prescription from the doctor regardless of the time frame and the fact that your eyes have not changed.

Anybody have any opinion or knowledge if this is over kill in order to make doctors more money or is this something that came about because of real concern over the dangers of wearing contacts or some other issue?

Nisa, I don't believe what you say in the first pgh is exactly correct, in terms of a new appointment being required each time... My contacts are specialized, so I can't purchase replacements of them from any online supplier... I can only get them thru my optometrist... I know.. because I've searched high and low.

But as I've looked into the subject in the past, lots of online retailers will sell lenses as long as the person provides a copy of their lens prescription dated any time in the past 3 months...and I suspect there may be longer times than that as well... So it doesn't require going and paying for a doctor's appointment every time.

The important thing a person should do...every time they see their eye doctor... is to get a printed copy of their prescription...if it isn't already listed on the lens case... so they can use that in the case replacement or additional lenses are needed...

I gather, in the past, a lot of doctors didn't want to provide that, as a way of keeping themselves in a cut of the replacement business. But I gather a law was passed somewhere along the line that now requires eye doctors to provide their patients with the actual prescriptions.

Separately, if Thai kids are having eye problems and perhaps it is because they're not handling and maintaining the lenses properly, I think it's pretty reasonable to believe that at least part of the reason for that is that they've never been required to see an eye doctor or be professionally instructed on the proper use/handling of the lenses, prior to beginning to wear them.

JC, I am curious ... are there different size eyes in terms of fitting contacts? One of the things I hear about the dangers of these novelty contacts is that "one size doesn't fit all"

You mentioned your needing special contacts and I am sure some people may also need special contact because of the shape or size of their eyes but am wondering if it is standard to specify a size when prescribing or buying contacts.

Just to be clear .. does a standard prescription mention size or shape or do they just talk about strength?

You're making a flawed argument... Part of what ought to come with the purchase of contact lenses from an optometrist shop is guidance on how to properly use and maintain them, in addition to potential fitting issues.

Someone who already has a prescription from a doctor for lenses may not need that instruction every time because they've already received it. But some teenager who's never worn contact lenses and never seen an optometrist to receive them most certainly does.

It's a flaw in the Thai system that allows people to purchase and use these kinds of lenses...without ever having any prescription or proper fitting and guidance from an eye professional.

"What ought to come with ..." doesn't change the fact that I can get the contact lenses without it and without any suggestion that I should have it. I can even get the same contact lenses at stalls (set up by an optometrist shop, but no optometrist in sight).

If an optometrist can make an assumption that I have received proper instruction (or even that the lenses are for me), why can't anyone else?

In fact, all over the world now, you can get glasses without prescription, in the same way as you get soft contact lenses. These glasses are with standard measurements, so as long as you have an idea what you need, you can get what you want. And most of the time, it's just trial and error anyway.

For the Big-eyes, is there a problem with the product or with the application of the product?

JC, I am curious ... are there different size eyes in terms of fitting contacts? One of the things I hear about the dangers of these novelty contacts is that "one size doesn't fit all"

You mentioned your needing special contacts and I am sure some people may also need special contact because of the shape or size of their eyes but am wondering if it is standard to specify a size when prescribing or buying contacts.

Just to be clear .. does a standard prescription mention size or shape or do they just talk about strength?

Nisa, I wear RGP hard contact lenses, and have for years... I've never worn soft lenses, so I can't speak to those..

For hard lenses, very definitely the prescribing includes the size of the lense, and the curvature, in addition to the power optical strength. People's eyes come in all different shapes and sizes...

Nisa, I wear RGP hard contact lenses, and have for years... I've never worn soft lenses, so I can't speak to those..

For hard lenses, very definitely the prescribing includes the size of the lense, and the curvature, in addition to the power optical strength. People's eyes come in all different shapes and sizes...

I would love to know if what is being sold is soft or hard and/or hear if the same (eye size varies) is true for soft lenses. Clearly (in my mind) this would be a big issue as I highly doubt the people ordering these things know the size of their eyes and/or there is an option to even choose size. I'm no brain surgeon here but, especially with hard lenses, I would think you are asking for problems (like scratched & irritated eyes) if you are not wearing the right size.

I would love to know if what is being sold is soft or hard and/or hear if the same (eye size varies) is true for soft lenses. Clearly (in my mind) this would be a big issue as I highly doubt the people ordering these things know the size of their eyes and/or there is an option to even choose size. I'm no brain surgeon here but, especially with hard lenses, I would think you are asking for problems (like scratched & irritated eyes) if you are not wearing the right size.

Here is a blurb on them (not "Big-eyes" specifically).

http://www.mywomenstuff.com/2008/05/06/whats-with-the-big-eye-contact-lens/

I'm pretty sure they would be soft lenses.

Here is a blurb on them (not "Big-eyes" specifically).

http://www.mywomenst...e-contact-lens/

I'm pretty sure they would be soft lenses.

Wow, I understand one culture thinking another culture has more attractive features but choosing to look like an Alien????

bigeye.jpg

The before picture appears to have incredibly small (Photoshop?) eyes and after surely looks better but the big picture looks like what people describe in alien encounters .. either that or somebody who took too many amphetamines.

The link WhyBother provided pretty clearly shows they are soft lenses, as I suspected.

And the Acuview brand cited made by Johnson and Johnson is listed as being "1 Day" wear per pair...

http://www.acuvuedef.../HowItWorks.htm

Another part of the same website says... "New pair of disposable contact lens daily for optimum eye health."

For this variety, it appears one size is supposed to fit all...at least all Asians...

With the average asian Horizontal Visible Iris Diameter being 11.2mm*, the outer diameter of 1-DAY ACUVUE® DEFINE™ was designed to be 12.5mm thus enlarging the eyes.

I wonder how many Thai teens/20s are following that regime...or even being told that's what they should do.

In looking further, there appear to be also two week and month long varieties of circle lenses...though not sure if those are being made by reputable manufacturers...

Some of the monthly variety apparently are made by an outfit in Singapore called FreshKon... And they say their products are available in 60 countries...including Thailand... But the USA is noticeably absent from that list.

Interestingly, this is a Q and A on the FreshKon FAQ web page:

Will I need a prescription to wear cosmetic lenses even if I have perfect eyesight?
  1. Yes, you still need to be fitted for the lenses even if you do not need vision correction as contact lenses are classified as medical devices. Even if you do not require vision correction, it is important that your eye-care practitioner verifies proper fit and defines a wearing schedule to maintain your good vision and overall eye health.

DAILY CLEANING REGIMEN

• After removing the lens from the eye, place it on the palm of your hand and apply a few drops of FreshKon CLEAR i Multi Purpose Solution onto the lens
  • Rub the lens gently with your index finger against the palm for about 20 seconds on both faces
  • Rinse the lens thoroughly with FreshKon CLEAR i Multi Purpose Solution Solution
  • Soak the clean lens in the case with FreshKon CLEAR i Multi Purpose Solution for your next use

Edited by jfchandler

Geo Medical Co. from Korea appears to be another of the major players in this field... and in looking at their web site, they don't appear to list any particular duration for the wear of their circle lenses...

Caring for Lens and Lens Case

For the continued safe and comfortable use of your lenses, it is important to follow the instructions given to you by your Eye Care Practitioner. Failure to follow the correct lens care regime may result in the development of serious eye problems.

Cleaning and rinsing are essential to remove mucus, secretions, and deposits which may have accumulated during use. Do this immediately after removing your lenses and prior to disinfection.

Harmful germs can only be removed by cleaning, rinsing and disinfecting.

sub3_1_arrow.gif Use fresh, unexpired lens care solutions.

sub3_1_arrow.gif Never use solutions recommended for conventional hard lenses only.

sub3_1_arrow.gif Never put your lenses in your mouth or use anything other than the recommended solutions for lubricating or wetting your lenses.

sub3_1_arrow.gif Never rinse them in tap water, since this can contain many impurities that can contaminate or damage your lenses and may lead to eye infection or injury.

sub3_1_arrow.gif Put each lens into the correct chamber of the lens storage system and make sure they are completely immersed in the storage solution when they are not being worn. If lenses left our for long periods, they may dry out and become brittle.

sub3_1_arrow.gif Seek the advice of your Eye Care Practitioner if your lenses are to be stored for extended periods.

Since lens cases can be a source of bacteria, after use they should be emptied, cleaned and rinsed with recommended sterile solutions and allowed to air dry.

sub3_1_arrow.gif Your lens case should also be replaced regulary, as advised by the lens case manufacturer or your Eye Care Practitioner.

sub3_1_arrow.gif Never use tap water ro rinse your lens case.

Edited by jfchandler

Just by chance I was chatting to a Swedish opthalmologist friend recently about lenses.

He says Sweden banned coloured lenses long ago.

The reason is the colour is printed on, and reduces the permeability of the lens, reducing adequate gas transfer which keeps things working as one would like.