Things To Buy Before Going Back Home?

welovesundaysatspace

I'm finding stuff cheaper here than Blighty now. Netbook was at least 100 quid cheaper. Victorinox Swisstool was much cheaper, like 40 quid cheaper. Either cheaper or on a par with blighty prices which appear to be rocketing.

My Camera was cheaper here than online in the UK....

So some electronics are cheaper (not sure about all of them though - Best to look around then compare with online prices from your home country.

DVD's are always good to take back.

I find tailored suits here quite rubbish so Ii buy off the rack (That's a personal choice anyway) - the shirts however are always quite decent - A stack of shirts could last quite a while !

Sauces... i.e. curry pastes etc (if you want to cook Thai food when you are back in your home country).

IMO: Nothing is really significantly cheaper than back home anymore except for eating out which you can't take with you.

Home deco.

I get mine at JJ, mainly artwork, clocks, pottery. Avoid those shops at the front half. I buy stuff from those shops near to JJ air-con shopping mall. Also bought a Thai style pendulum clock, encased in wood, in the JJ shopping mall.

Bought some old Burmese deco items at Siam Night Bazaar (opp. mouth of Sukhumvit 101/1).

Not a Brit so don't know what is available there but in addition to cheaper, how about useful things?

Clear lucite canisters with pinch top releases are great, not expensive and if you buy them in graduated sizes, you can stack them inside each other and save room in the luggage. Most kitchen departments in Central Chain have them as would Robinsons I am sure.

While in the kitchen department, look for a can opener that works with squeeze handle, like shears, they are the best can opener I have ever found and of good quality for which you will pay 300 or a tad more for.

Everything that is manufactured here is pretty much cheaper than most other places, not all. So it depends where you're from.

Electronics is generally more expensive in Thailand compared to most places, not all.

Everything that Thailand imports, stay away from. Generally very expensive.

Handycraft, Teak & Rose wood furniture is cheaper here (need to negotiate for a good price)

I'm finding stuff cheaper here than Blighty now. Netbook was at least 100 quid cheaper. Victorinox Swisstool was much cheaper, like 40 quid cheaper. Either cheaper or on a par with blighty prices which appear to be rocketing.

Probably becuase they just increased VAT to 20% in UK.

Where did you buy the Victorinox Swisstool? I haven't seen them around and could do with a new one and one as a gift for the bro-in-law.

Probably becuase they just increased VAT to 20% in UK.

Where did you buy the Victorinox Swisstool? I haven't seen them around and could do with a new one and one as a gift for the bro-in-law.

PP I am sure you are a decent feller and all that, but your avatar gets on my f...ing tits. Just thought I would mention it.

But one thing to buy here comes to my mind: medicines. Even the imported ones much cheaper than in the West.

You get caught with this stuff on you (BKK or UK) and you will be in serious trouble.

really.. I almost always show them when I arrive back in Europe and have never once had any trouble.

Here ,the only place that they would be seen is when I leave I suppose. I am not sure what you mean by " caught" I am not hiding them and can show, if necessary , a prescription .I never have had a reason to.

I have had a prescription when returning, but in all these year's have never been asked to show it ( although i was once asked to show receipt's for a leather Hugo Boss jacket .

Also, I only have a few month's supply, and they are all for my use only.

I can only surmise that you have made a generalization that does not apply to all.

Or am I missing something?