Need Of Return Ticket Single Entry Tourist Visa ?

It seems that lately for single entry tourist visa a ticket must be showed payed in full OUT of Thailand , rule for Thailand or for airlines? ( a consulate demand Europe) , i thought before that only with visa exempt rule 30 days entry this was needed ? Should an" Air Asia ticket "to PnomhPenh be sufficient ? As Cambodja has visa on arrival :jap: so no force further prouve needed as out of Thailand , and later back by air on visa exempt :rolleyes: , as really the consulates even in Europe becomes more thight :annoyed:

I have both read about and experienced where the airline agent at the airport insists a onward ticket with a visa is needed. Simply ask them to get or check with a supervisor who will let them know it is not.

As I posted recently the Thai Embassy in Wellington NZ requires copies of tickets both into and out of Thailand before they will issue any tourist visa.

Others may have the same policy.

Why not do the real tourist thing? Me I will fly into Pakse and spend a couple of weeks looking round the south of Laos.

Thai embassy Brussels and Antwerp consulate Belgium also requires air ticket before issuing tourist visa.

They have the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary but this doesn't make a lot of sense because they are forcing you to buy round trip tickets for a journey you may not even be able to take if you are not approved for a tourist visa.

Why not tell them you have not made your travel plans yet and are not likely flying to Thailand but first going to another country such as Cambodia first and then intend to travel by ground to Thailand - or - get a double entry Visa? I believe the form asks you how you intend to travel to Thailand ... simply put bus and don't buy your tickets until after you are approved. And when checking for tickets online also check and see the deals for flying into a neighbor country to see if it would be cheaper ... that way you are not lying.

Edited by Nisa

I also know that a number of European airlines don't check or seem to care if you have an onward ticket when flying to Thailand without a visa. A Belgium friend of mine flies here all the time and never has a return ticket or visa.

In the US I have never seen them not check at the airport re: a return ticket. This may be because it really makes no sense to not have a return ticket because the price of a one-way is usually near, the same or more than a round trip with US airlines. So, if you don't have a return ticket it does seem suspicious.

Edited by Nisa

I never said in my post a 'return ticket' but a ticket out of Thailand.

I was told this could be an air, bus or train ticket.

Not possible however to get a bus or train ticket when you are not in the country.

Notwithstanding the fact that they had not as yet issued a visa they still required the tickets before they would accept a visa application.

Should a visa not be issued there is still the 30 day visa on arrival that you can always get then go to say Vientian and apply there.

My ticket out of the country is from BKK to Pakse in Laos.

I never said in my post a 'return ticket' but a ticket out of Thailand.

I was told this could be an air, bus or train ticket.

Not possible however to get a bus or train ticket when you are not in the country.

Notwithstanding the fact that they had not as yet issued a visa they still required the tickets before they would accept a visa application.

Should a visa not be issued there is still the 30 day visa on arrival that you can always get then go to say Vientian and apply there.

My ticket out of the country is from BKK to Pakse in Laos.

Return/Onward ticket refers to the same thing here.

If you fly in by air you need an "air' ticket that shows "onward" travel from Thailand .. not a bus ticket. If they are making up their own rules there and did allow such a thing then there are ways to get a bus ticket even though you are not here.

As I mentioned before it might be easier in your circumstance to simply fly in with out a Visa and just use one of the Visa services here if you want to get a tourist Visa. My friend has flown from Belgium and NZ (along with numerous other countries) and has never been asked for an onward ticket when flying here with no Visa. He flies on various airlines with the only thing in common being they are part of the Star Alliance group.

Edited by Nisa

thx for all replies who point in same direction that they are enforcing more and more the rules ....., even for my ed visa no requirements for income...now need 30000 bath a month proof (no problem, just pointing the closings for the holes :blink: )

Even on Brussels Embassy requirements are for travelers tourist visa 20000 for one person , so really they are messing up with the rules ...

I was already planning to make a Ticket air Asia OUT of Thailand , but looks like they do not know the rules (:whistling: ) as they say those who make whiteout visa by the exempt way and crossing borders every 14 days or 30 days month by air could facing severe consequences (??) if caught as Thailand Gov.is becoming more difficult (if whe already should not know ) ....... seems they do not know ing that the rule for the X times in X x months is long time not in action anymore .....or a newcomer on Consulate

thx for all replies who point in same direction that they are enforcing more and more the rules ....., even for my ed visa no requirements for income...now need 30000 bath a month proof (no problem, just pointing the closings for the holes :blink: )

Even on Brussels Embassy requirements are for travelers tourist visa 20000 for one person , so really they are messing up with the rules ...

I was already planning to make a Ticket air Asia OUT of Thailand , but looks like they do not know the rules (:whistling: ) as they say those who make whiteout visa by the exempt way and crossing borders every 14 days or 30 days month by air could facing severe consequences (??) if caught as Thailand Gov.is becoming more difficult (if whe already should not know ) ....... seems they do not know ing that the rule for the X times in X x months is long time not in action anymore .....or a newcomer on Consulate

I would be interested in knowing if you or anybody else had past experiences working with Brussel's embassy and if indeed things are tightening up or if they have just always been anal there. I had an EDU visa before and didn't even know there was an income requirement. I am heading back to the US next month and planned on getting a Visa in the US BEFORE I came back to Thailand but if they are tightening up across the board then would probably be better just waiting to get back and doing it in Cambodia or Lao where I still know they aren't being anal and just rubber stamp everything if you go with on a Visa Run with a group.

I would be interested in knowing if you or anybody else had past experiences working with Brussel's embassy and if indeed things are tightening up or if they have just always been anal there. I had an EDU visa before and didn't even know there was an income requirement. I am heading back to the US next month and planned on getting a Visa in the US BEFORE I came back to Thailand but if they are tightening up across the board then would probably be better just waiting to get back and doing it in Cambodia or Lao where I still know they aren't being anal and just rubber stamp everything if you go with on a Visa Run with a group.

Used never Brussels , always Antwerp , 2 times even Triple entry's whiteout problem ,1 non O 3 month no problems , ED visa after canceling the TRIPLE entry's by orders Brussels for unlimited rime (still possible on website , but not available=suspended)

or ED visa BEFORE no requirements , witch make me joking that time to the friendly staff that as a student apparently i may sleep on the beach , not as a tourist .

NOW the say must be a mistake before about no requirement income 30000 bath mentioned= no problem for me ) , but Brussels on website mansion travel money 1 person 20000 , also about ED visa school , "must be serious school , must have Doc, must mansion the duration school, must have letter WHEN you expected......

Normally this consulate friendly , now still friendly but more difficult , even my complete inquiry make them me looking suspicious , as i make an offense out of it a kind of excuse came back on my mail that they do not want their travelers come in problems.as SO many changes in 3 years times (I AS WHE NOT KNOWING THAT.....:angry: )..., precisely this is my point that i inquire so complete , came more friendly ....

NEVER I MAKE A REQUEST ON A MONDAY MORNING ANYMORE :annoyed: