Massachusetts man indicted for setting 83-year-old mother on fire

News_Editor

Massachusetts man indicted for setting 83-year-old mother on fire

2011-02-17 10:14:02 GMT+7 (ICT)

BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS (BNO NEWS) -- A Massachusetts man was indicted on Tuesday for attempting to murder his 83-year-old mother by setting her on fire, prosecutors said Wednesday.

Gary B. Cernak, 57, of Easthampton, Massachusetts, was found standing and eating salsa, and according to masslive.com, when police arrived and asked what had happened, he answered, "I just killed my mother. I poured lighter fluid on her and set her on fire."

Rescue crews found Dorothy Cernak in a living room chair calling for help, suffering from burns on her upper body and face, while her hair was completely burned off.

According to Dorothy Cernak's statements, her son was angry at her because she had called police and doctor during the previous day as she was worried about her son's health.

Records show that police responded to the call, but Gary Cernak stated to be fine and wanted to be left alone.

However, following the incident, Dorothy Cernak has described her son as passive, stating that she is not afraid of him, as authorities instructed her on how to file a restraining order.

Gary Cernak, who was charged with attempted murder, arson of a dwelling, assault and battery on a person over 60, and mayhem, was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and is currently being evaluated by doctors at the Bridgewater State Hospital to determine whether he is criminally responsible for his acts. He has no criminal record.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-02-17