Smartphone & Wifi Router: Retailer Advice Please

mike111

Hi All,

Planning to visit the LOS sometime in the next few months and have my sight on the Nokia N900. I will also be looking for a travel wifi router (to convert an ethernet cable connection to wifi).

Would appreciate advice on a reliable yet bargain-ish retailers in BKK and Pattaya. Is there any point in checking MBK or Tukcom, price-wise and scam-wise (fakes sold as originals, if that happens at all)?.

Also, anyone knows the price of the N900 in LOS?.

Cheers,

Mike.

I see. Where would you be using this? Most places that travellers visit would normally have wifi available rather than ethernet, I would have thought.

Either way, I suspect that a basic small N access point would do everything you need, as presumably you would invariably be using someone else's internet connection which itself would provide the router function.

Though if the device you mention is reasonably priced, why not?

I see. Where would you be using this? Most places that travellers visit would normally have wifi available rather than ethernet, I would have thought.

The typical scenario these routers are used in is a hotel or similar venue which provides only an ethernet cable (no wifi) so you plug them in and create a local wifi "bubble" in the room to use a netbook/mobile without having to carry an extender cable (a smartphone won't connect to an ethernet cable anyway).

Back to my OP, any suggestions for a reputable & bargain-ish retailer for a smartphone & such routers in BKK/Pattaya?.

Thanks.

Bought an ASUS 330Ge portable router for this purpose at HardWare House Tuk.com a few month ago. Price 1500 Baht. Works fine.

Yeah the Asus 330ge is probably the most popular pocket size router/access point/repeater/hotspot device. http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/asus/wl-330ge-world%C2%B4s-smartest-wireless-access-point-ethernet-adapter-gateway-p002762/

The typical scenario these routers are used in is a hotel or similar venue which provides only an ethernet cable (no wifi) so you plug them in and create a local wifi "bubble" in the room to use a netbook/mobile without having to carry an extender cable (a smartphone won't connect to an ethernet cable anyway).

You dont need a router for this. An access point will do the job perfectly. At the other end of the ethernet cable in the hotel there will be a router with DHCP enabled.

I rather like the DLink range of access points.