Spouse Visa For Foreign Female

• 2 months later...
Also any entry can be extended 60 days if married to a Thai (although that costs 1,900 baht each time).

Hi guys. Haven't lurked here for a while but just come across this post and thought I would ask the question...

Back in 2010 I got a multi entry non imm o type by marriage visa in Australia and had no probs. after a successful residence visa app for my wife to Australia I haven't bothered to renew. We came back to Thailand earlier this month and only planning to stay for 26 days, I didn't bother with the visa and just did a VOA entry.

1. If I wantedto stay longer, can I extend my VOA entry by 60 days as detailed above?

2. Is this a one time extension? Or can I go that route again and again?

I know there are other routes, ie a one year extension at the end of a visa. But I'm just wondering if it's just as easy to do this (if it is repeatable), rather than visa runs etc etc.

Sorry if stupid questions, but it's something I haven't thought about in a long time.

Finally, if arriving on a VOA entry, is there an avenue to get a one year extension based on marriage? TBH I think it's just as easy to get my yearly visa back home, but I've just become a little curious about the above statement.

If it matters, my wife does have a 309 visa for Aus. We were married in Aus, not Thailand.

You can only do one time per entry (60 day) but most offices will allow for each entry one time. But there is some confusion as old rule had "one time only" wording with no definition and although it was dropped some officers are unsure. Probably not a good long term plan but great for adding time.

1. Yes.

2. Yes and No as above.

There is a conversion to non immigrant O visa entry for 2,000 baht available if you have several weeks remaining on a visa exempt entry and can provided the financial proof required (does not have to be seasoned 60 days). Then 2 months later you can extend for normal one year with seasoned funds.

If you travel often the visa back home is likely a good plan - but you are tied to only 90 day stay without an exit (but you could use the 60 day extension for exceptions).

For conversion to a non-O you probably need to register the Oz marriage in Thaland. That means going to your embassy and have the marriage certificate legalized, having it translated into Thai and next legalized by the Thai foreign ministry. When that is done you visit any amphur in Thailand and have the marriage recorded in the Thai wedding register. At that time you should receive a khor rhor 22 form, which you will need for immigration.

Yep. Just one example of how Thailand discriminates against women, but that's another story and one that has been discussed here many times in the past.

And wasn't the 40K / month rule for a marriage visa quickly changed from combined income/Thai wife's income to only income from the foreign male?? One would think, to be fair, that combined income should suffice. Plenty of farangs are married to professional women who earn more than this. I could take my early retirement and live off her salary!

Yep. Just one example of how Thailand discriminates against women, but that's another story and one that has been discussed here many times in the past.

And wasn't the 40K / month rule for a marriage visa quickly changed from combined income/Thai wife's income to only income from the foreign male?? One would think, to be fair, that combined income should suffice. Plenty of farangs are married to professional women who earn more than this. I could take my early retirement and live off her salary!

That rule was only in place for one year.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

For conversion to a non-O you probably need to register the Oz marriage in Thaland. That means going to your embassy and have the marriage certificate legalized, having it translated into Thai and next legalized by the Thai foreign ministry. When that is done you visit any amphur in Thailand and have the marriage recorded in the Thai wedding register. At that time you should receive a khor rhor 22 form, which you will need for immigration.

I've never thought of doing this, and wish I had the stuff with me. I don't. I suppose I could do it next year.

Does anyone know if there's an avenue of having this registered through the Thai embassy back in Australia? Or should I make a special trip to Bangkok on my next trip here?

Also I've noted it appears to be cheaper to do the multi entry non imm o type here in thailand (or specifically Laos) at 5000฿ (~$156) as opposed to about $240 in Australia. Although by the time you add in bus fares, transfers, a Laos visa, hotels etc etc, it's probably is cheaper to do it at home.