A Bike Dilema Head Vs Heart

sgunn65

With reference to seating position, I did a seat mod recently. The best 500 baht I have spent on this bike. Makes the 500k over and back to Chiang Mai a lot easier on my undercarriage. Not a cruiser seat but still pretty comfy. :)

Saddle++001.jpg

Saddle++003.jpg

Saddle++002.jpg

Looks good... where did you get it done?

(Not a cruiser, but maybe if you add high riser handle bars???)

BTW I also believe you're less likely to kill yourself on a cruiser. Low speeds - that's all. On the Versys you can go much faster - and you will. The brakes are much better - so you have the confidence to go even faster.

Tony, you're just a very good rider - not everybody is that good. And by good I mean not going faster than ability and circumstances allow.

A cruiser is happy to go at a slow speed and take in the scenery - so you're less likely to crash into something too. Think about he accident of John up here recently... would that have happened on a Vulcan vs a ER-6n - most certainly not. Or think of any other accident that happened recently due to high speed - imagine the same rider on a chopper... wouldn't have gone that fast, would either not have had the accident, or at least had it at a much lower speed.

The Versys works well as a swiss army knife of bikes - it's doing everything well, even cruising at low speeds is fine on it (as I recently found out). But it's a sports bike at heart so from time to time she likes to be raced...

Here's how not to do it - would also not be possible on a Vulcan ;)

By no means it is a sports bike! The engine develops nice torque even at low rpms. Seating position and setup are comfortable.

After all it is a much more modern bike compared to to Vulcan. The Vulcan intends to be a HD copy, so I do not like it.

Except for extreme racing bike one can ride any bike too slow, too fast or in responsible manner. But he most important thing you have to decide by yourself, which bikes suits you better and which which one you feel familiar after a few km.

BTW I also believe you're less likely to kill yourself on a cruiser. Low speeds - that's all. On the Versys you can go much faster - and you will. The brakes are much better - so you have the confidence to go even faster.

Tony, you're just a very good rider - not everybody is that good. And by good I mean not going faster than ability and circumstances allow.

A cruiser is happy to go at a slow speed and take in the scenery - so you're less likely to crash into something too. Think about he accident of John up here recently... would that have happened on a Vulcan vs a ER-6n - most certainly not. Or think of any other accident that happened recently due to high speed - imagine the same rider on a chopper... wouldn't have gone that fast, would either not have had the accident, or at least had it at a much lower speed.

The Versys works well as a swiss army knife of bikes - it's doing everything well, even cruising at low speeds is fine on it (as I recently found out). But it's a sports bike at heart so from time to time she likes to be raced...

I hear what you're saying Nikster, but buying a fast bike doesn't mean you have to ride it fast.

Long life on a motorbike is, as you say, all about not going faster than your ability and circumstances allow.

I know plenty of guys that are happy to just "cruise" on their sport bikes and never ever push the limits, so I disagree with those who say that having a fast bike will tempt you to ride faster.

But bottom line- if you're just cruising along with a mate, one of you on a Vulcan and the other on a Versys and an obstacle presents itself in the road, the sport bike will ALWAYS have the capability to out brake and out corner the cruiser. This assumes of course riders of equal skill.

I've seen some guys RIP on cruisers and tourers- try chasing Franz on his FJR1300 through the twisties sometime- WOW!

Ride On!

Tony

Thanks for all the replies.

The heart has won as I thought it would! After test rides it was no contest.

Today I put down a deposit on a new Classic in Red. She is gorgeous! On Saturday I will be collecting her and sloping off for a cruise down to somewhere!

Today I put down a deposit on a new Classic in Red. She is gorgeous! On Saturday I will be collecting her and sloping off for a cruise down to somewhere!

Awesome :D

Congrats!!

Enjoy and stay safe. :)