Alcohol Banned In Mu Ko Chang National Park

webfact

DNP bans alcohol in Mu Ko Chang National Park

TRAT, 19 February 2011 (NNT) – A ban on alcohol has been issued by the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) for seven national parks in the East, including Mu Ko Chang National Park.

The DNP now prohibits visitors from bringing alcoholic beverages into a total of seven national parks located in the eastern provinces of Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat. The seven alcohol-free zones comprise Khao Laem Ya-Mu Ko Samet National Park, Khao Chamao-Khao Wong National Park, Khao Khitchakut National Park, Namtok Phliu National Park, Khao Sip Ha Chan National Park, Namtok Khlong Kaeo National Park and Mu Ko Chang National Park.

As part of the government’s anti-alcohol policy, the measure is aimed to maintain the country’s natural sites tranquil and free of pollution and disturbances. Violators will be subject to imprisonment of up to one month and/or a fine of a maximum of 1,000 THB in accordance with the National Parks Act BE 2504 (1961).

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-02-19 footer_n.gif

Can't see any probems with that policy , if it is enforced. If you want to drink, go to a bar. If you want to enjoy a natural envirionment, then go to a National Park, perferab;y without all the debris left by slobs.

Edited by xen

For those that believe that alcohol consumption is as necessary as oxygen to sustain life, I would recommend boycotting the National Parks of Thailand. Rather than bitching on this forum, make a statement. Not spending your cash in the National Parks will certainly speak volumes. However the problem with that is, no one will miss you, your cash, or your physical presence.

Edited by rucus7

Does this mean that, in effect, both Koh Chang and Koh Samet are now alcohol free????

Old story, the ban on alcohol in parks was put in place a few weeks ago. The beach areas of Koh Chang arent in the National Park, so no effect at all. All of Koh Samet is in a National Park - which is why you have to pay the park entrance fee to go onto thew island. But I am pretty sure a blind eye will be turned to alcohol sales there . . if not the tourists will disappear.

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know, is this new alcohol ban really working in Koh Chang? Can I buy beer in the bar on on the beach? What about 7/11? Do they sell booze? We're planning to go there on songkran, but if this ban is really working, we might consider another destination.

Does anybody know, is this new alcohol ban really working in Koh Chang? Can I buy beer in the bar on on the beach? What about 7/11? Do they sell booze? We're planning to go there on songkran, but if this ban is really working, we might consider another destination.

Of course you can buy beer. There is a ban in National Parks but the beach areas arent in the national Park so there is no ban. You dont pay a National Park entry fee when you sstep onto Koh Chang. Have some common sense please.

• 2 months later...

Mu Koh Chang is a Marine National Park

THere is no legal public access to the interior of the island itself.

Not even if you pay the National Park entrance fee to go to a waterfall?

THe waterfalls are the only part that has public access they represent a minute part of the island and have little or no program for conservation. - I don't know if you've checked them out but to me they are somewhat over-priced.

Th tours etc operating around the jungle are actually "illegal".

KC is the second biggest island in Thaiiand and the vast majority of it is "closed" to the public - it is also unsupervised and unmanaged.