True 3G - Happy So Far!

greatjob

As the title of this thread says, I am definitely happy so far with True 3G. For my applications it is perfect. And all the extra promotions they have honored are defintely welcome. I do not need unlimited plans and do not want post-paid contracts. TOT/MVNOs, which I could use, have a severe limitation: no roll-over to 2G when outside 3G coverage. This would turn a smartphone into a useless brick. And the whole voice roaming charges would also seem to cast a shadow on the service, as would the potential lack of reliable SMS delivery/reception. But I'd love to hear from more users, especially those who have smartphones, about their total TOT 3G experience.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I made the jump. I was with AIS post-paid for 2 years. Never ever a problem with phone service, but I just can't stand the slow Edge. So I went to True on 3rd floor of Fortune Tower and filled out the Number Portability form, they gave me the new sim. The next day AIS called me no less than 6 times to try to convince me to stay. I told them each time that if they had 3G, I would never have considered changing. The next day, I woke up and my AIS was turned off. I put in the True sim, reset the network settings on my iPhone 4, and all was great. I will say I travel from Bangkok to Rayong/Chon Buri nearly every day. I get 3G coverage well outside of Bangkok. I get it all the way to Ban Rakat on the Bang Na Trat motorway. Then it comes back again as soon as I get to Chonburi, where the motorway comes back down to the roadway. Speeds is great. I was able to sit outside the mall/Tesco where the elevated motorway drops down and use 3G to make a Skype call to the US. Awesome! My only complaint is that my battery drains very quickly on 3G, but this is a gripe with the iPhone 4, not True service. I was worried about phone coverage, since I have heard complaints from friends, but I have not lost signal yet anywhere.

So, for now, True has a happy new customer.

I have the True 599 plan, its great for data but coverage is patchy so not great for voice.

AIS will have parts of BKK covered for 3G (2100mhz) in the next few months and will launch their full BKK coverage in August so expect a price war then, dont get locked into a contract in the meantime!

I have the True 599 plan, its great for data but coverage is patchy so not great for voice.

AIS will have parts of BKK covered for 3G (2100mhz) in the next few months and will launch their full BKK coverage in August so expect a price war then, dont get locked into a contract in the meantime!

I truly welcome the competition. Like I said, I loved AIS phone service coverage. Never had a dropped call. The only AIS 3G I could find was right at the AIS shop on the 3rd (?) floor of Central World. I have to stay on True for 3 months before I can transfer my number to another provider. If AIS has good performance and coverage, I will consider going back.

AIS will have parts of BKK covered for 3G (2100mhz) in the next few months and will launch their full BKK coverage in August

GK, what's your source of info for saying the above?

All I've seen is that AIS is in danger of losing their entire govt. telcom concession, and is the subject of a lot of legal action by TOT and CAT over the past telcom taxes issue under the Taksin regime..

Originally AIS was planning 3G on the 900 Mhz band, and later I gather were trying to get the use of part of TOT's 2100 Mhz band... But AIS and TOT aren't exactly on the best of terms right now.

Hmm... I'm seeing elsewhere from True that if someone wants to shell out more than $600 U.S. to buy a new Motorola Milestone Android phone from them, that they're actually offering an unlimited use 3G/Wifi/Edge plan for 549 baht per month, including 200 minutes of calling time per month, on a pre-pay basis.

post-53787-0-85913100-1299293299_thumb.j

http://www.truemove.com/android/en/priceplan.aspx

Curiously, True doesn't seem to offer an unlimited 3G data plan at any price as part of their regular post-pay data plans...

Looks Post Pay to me.

Actually, if you look at the True web page linked there, and specifically at the black boxed text in the chart, it specifically says "Pre Pay Package".

Whether True is accurately presenting their info in English or not, I don't know. But "pre pay" is what it says.

Actually, if you look at the True web page linked there, and specifically at the black boxed text in the chart, it specifically says "Pre Pay Package".

Whether True is accurately presenting their info in English or not, I don't know. But "pre pay" is what it says.

So I guess you can go and try to argue that point with them.... but I'm sure that you've read the T&Cs and realised that This promotion is reserved for individual TrueMove Post Pay users....

Little Miffed......... was in a hotel facing the the beach in North Pattaya, 12 floor.......... and 3G signal still coming in. Strange, 850Mhz really seems to penetrate well.

p.s. wont name the hotel, but stay away from it..... Russians, Russians, Russians, Russians, Russians, Russians, Russians, Russians, Russians, Russians, Russians. If there were a few cute ones, maybe worth the suffering, but just big crude blobs every where. Stupid hotel put on a big party at the pool till 1am.......realy fun @!#$!@#%!@#%__($%

As the title of this thread says, I am definitely happy so far with True 3G. For my applications it is perfect. And all the extra promotions they have honored are defintely welcome. I do not need unlimited plans and do not want post-paid contracts. TOT/MVNOs, which I could use, have a severe limitation: no roll-over to 2G when outside 3G coverage. This would turn a smartphone into a useless brick. And the whole voice roaming charges would also seem to cast a shadow on the service, as would the potential lack of reliable SMS delivery/reception. But I'd love to hear from more users, especially those who have smartphones, about their total TOT 3G experience.

I had the 365.co.th TOT sim and when the 3G was working it was great BUT: I lost all signal when going into any mall and it does not switch to another network when outside of bangkok, stops working about halfway to pattaya. Although the 3G rates were very cheap it just did not work for me so now I am back on AIS unlimited EDGE, unfortunately my nexus one will not work on 850 so I am eagerly waiting for the switch to 2100.mad.gif

Although I despise true I do have a true "unlimited" package on the Ipad and it has not let me down yet.

I had the 365.co.th TOT sim and when the 3G was working it was great BUT: I lost all signal when going into any mall and it does not switch to another network when outside of bangkok, stops working about halfway to pattaya. Although the 3G rates were very cheap it just did not work for me so now I am back on AIS unlimited EDGE, unfortunately my nexus one will not work on 850 so I am eagerly waiting for the switch to 2100.mad.gif

Although I despise true I do have a true "unlimited" package on the Ipad and it has not let me down yet.

It sounds like you got stuck with the T-Mobile version of the Nexus One (900/1700/2100). That's unfortunate. With the AT&T version you would have both 850 and 2100 Mhz 3G.

I guess 850 Mhz gives much better indoor coverage than 2100 Mhz. With True 3G I do not believe I have ever lost 3G when indoors, and if I did I would expect to fall back to 2G.

It sounds like you got stuck with the T-Mobile version of the Nexus One (900/1700/2100). That's unfortunate. With the AT&T version you would have both 850 and 2100 Mhz 3G.

I guess 850 Mhz gives much better indoor coverage than 2100 Mhz. With True 3G I do not believe I have ever lost 3G when indoors, and if I did I would expect to fall back to 2G.

Yes I was silly enough to believe that the 3G tender process for 2100 would not take that long and that buying the Tmobile one would not be a massive long term problem...Anyway another lesson learnedwhistling.gif

Yes I was silly enough to believe that the 3G tender process for 2100 would not take that long and that buying the Tmobile one would not be a massive long term problem...Anyway another lesson learnedwhistling.gif

Ummmm........ let see.

1. election - This year

2. forming NBTC........ with all the politics, maybe 3 years

3. Preparing bid....... with all the politics......another 1 or 2 years......

I found myself on a day trip to Bangkok so stopped by the True office in Fortune Tower to initiate "MNP" to transfer my DTAC prepaid account to a True 3G postpaid account for use with my iPhone4. It was pretty straightforward as discussed above, but I did encounter a few speed hiccups:

The first hiccup was the friendly "helpful" staff at the DTAC shop saying that my number was not registered, and I had to wait seven days before going to the True shop. I had owned that DTAC phone number for six years, and the reason for my visit to the DTAC shop was simply to update my passport number so that when True contacted them, the passport numbers would match. After that encounter with DTAC, the True sales person actually called DTAC customer service and verified that my number was, in fact, registered.

The second hiccup was accessing True WiFi Hotspots. True needs to enter the MAC address for your device (iPhone or iPad, probably, in most cases) into their system. Otherwise you will be presented with a username/password screen and you will not have (and don't need) a username or password.

There was a short gap in service: my DTAC account was deactivated shortly after midnight, but my True account was not active until about 1000am.

I found myself on a day trip to Bangkok so stopped by the True office in Fortune Tower to initiate "MNP" to transfer my DTAC prepaid account to a True 3G postpaid account for use with my iPhone4. It was pretty straightforward as discussed above, but I did encounter a few speed hiccups:

The first hiccup was the friendly "helpful" staff at the DTAC shop saying that my number was not registered, and I had to wait seven days before going to the True shop. I had owned that DTAC phone number for six years, and the reason for my visit to the DTAC shop was simply to update my passport number so that when True contacted them, the passport numbers would match. After that encounter with DTAC, the True sales person actually called DTAC customer service and verified that my number was, in fact, registered.

The second hiccup was accessing True WiFi Hotspots. True needs to enter the MAC address for your device (iPhone or iPad, probably, in most cases) into their system. Otherwise you will be presented with a username/password screen and you will not have (and don't need) a username or password.

There was a short gap in service: my DTAC account was deactivated shortly after midnight, but my True account was not active until about 1000am.

I had the same issue with the Wifi hotspots. They can add your MAC address to the system my just calling True. They can pull your MAC from their system.

Now, further impressions, True EDGE is horrible compared to AIS EDGE. I never had a problem anywhere in Thailand with AIS EDGE, but even in Bangkok, if I disable 3G to save battery, EDGE is extremely slow.

Granted I have an Android smartphone, but I sent an SMS to 9789 with "w" (lower case w, no quotes) and then get back a reply with my True WiFi username and password with which I can successfully access True WiFi networks. (I did not ever provide a MAC address to True, other than OTA when I did my initial WiFi log-in.) I guess what you may be saying is that True maps the MAC address, in my case for the WiFi adapter in my phone, to the username and password so you cannot use a different device? I guess this makes sense, otherwise I could use 3G and WiFi simultaneously on a smartphone and a PC? I guess True cannot monitor 3G, 2G and WiFi access by account (telephone) number? I'll have to test that.

Edited by lomatopo

Granted I have an Android smartphone, but I sent an SMS to 9789 with "w" (lower case w, no quotes) and then get back a reply with my True WiFi username and password with which I can successfully access True WiFi networks. (I did not ever provide a MAC address to True, other than OTA when I did my initial WiFi log-in.) I guess what you may be saying is that True maps the MAC address, in my case for the WiFi adapter in my phone, to the username and password so you cannot use a different device? I guess this makes sense, otherwise I could use 3G and WiFi simultaneously on a smartphone and a PC? I guess True cannot monitor 3G, 2G and WiFi access by account (telephone) number? I'll have to test that.

Currently using 3G and WiFi on two diffent Netbooks. Why would they limit one's access?

Currently using 3G and WiFi on two diffent Netbooks. Why would they limit one's access?

Well, maybe because they are still losing a ton of money every quarter? And your SIM should really only allow one session of access.

Seriously, I think I did suggest initially that simultaneous (3G and WiFi) usage may be possible. Then thought about it and decided that True might want to "limit one's access". Then said I'd have to test it. Not surprising they're losing money I guess. :whistling:

Well, maybe because they are still losing a ton of money every quarter? And your SIM should really only allow one session of access.

Seriously, I think I did suggest initially that simultaneous (3G and WiFi) usage may be possible. Then thought about it and decided that True might want to "limit one's access". Then said I'd have to test it. Not surprising they're losing money I guess. :whistling:

The Wifi has nothing to do with the SIM. It's a separate service. The EDGE service is abysmal. The 3G and WiFi are the real selling points. Do you really think that 600 to 800 baht per month for 3GB of data over 3G is cheap? Without the addition of WiFi it would be poor value.

I probably wasn’t clear.

Most/all Truemove (the mobile telephone service provider) mobile internet plans are linked to a SIM. I realize the SIM is not involved in 802.11 communications, but it can be used to request/receive a WiFi username and password, check mobile internet usage, etc.

Many Truemove mobile internet plans include 3G/2G/WiFi/SMS/MMS/voice. At the top end some have unlimited WiFi.

My primary comment being…

I think Truemove’s intention is to provide a single customer (with a SIM) with multiple types of access for a single end-point based on the customer’s location and requirements. However I do not believe it is their intention to provide simultaneous access for more than one end-point to a single customer? I could be wrong, I frequently am. Hence the previous discussions of them logging MAC addresses, and only allowing one MAC address per SIM.

I honestly haven’t read the T’s & C’s of my contract to see if this is covered.

I rarely use the WiFi, I get 10 hours free per month, as I am almost never without 3G, and 3G always offer better performance than WiFi, in the few instances I've compared the two. I haven't tried the simultaneous access scenario, but will at some point. I agree Truemove's 2G seems painfully slow, but the only times I've dropped to 2G is on the subway. I plan to use a One-2-Call SIM for 2G when I travel outside of Bangkok.

I probably wasn’t clear.

Most/all Truemove (the mobile telephone service provider) mobile internet plans are linked to a SIM. I realize the SIM is not involved in 802.11 communications, but it can be used to request/receive a WiFi username and password, check mobile internet usage, etc.

Many Truemove mobile internet plans include 3G/2G/WiFi/SMS/MMS/voice. At the top end some have unlimited WiFi.

My primary comment being…

I think Truemove’s intention is to provide a single customer (with a SIM) with multiple types of access for a single end-point based on the customer’s location and requirements. However I do not believe it is their intention to provide simultaneous access for more than one end-point to a single customer? I could be wrong, I frequently am. Hence the previous discussions of them logging MAC addresses, and only allowing one MAC address per SIM.

I honestly haven’t read the T’s & C’s of my contract to see if this is covered.

I rarely use the WiFi, I get 10 hours free per month, as I am almost never without 3G, and 3G always offer better performance than WiFi, in the few instances I've compared the two. I haven't tried the simultaneous access scenario, but will at some point. I agree Truemove's 2G seems painfully slow, but the only times I've dropped to 2G is on the subway. I plan to use a One-2-Call SIM for 2G when I travel outside of Bangkok.

Even with a MAC adress you would not be limited to a 'single end point connection'. You may be limited to a single machine(or router), but of course you use of 3G will remain unaffected.

Of course the 3G data plans are in general inadequaate for anything other than telephone use. The Wifi fills the space for someone who actually wants to use the Internet.

I have unlimited WiFi(90 minutes for session, though easily circumvented) and 3G of data via 3G for 750 baht. Luckily I'm in range of both services. Otherwise it would be a relatively poor offering for the price.

I can use the WiFi for the larger downloads and keep my 3G data for when it's most needed.

I wonder if the MAC address registration is simply an option to bypass the log-on screen with username/password? I won't swear to it, but as I was watching the True fellow futz with the entries on his computer, I *think* there were spaces for multiple MAC addresses.

I wasn't aware of the "SMS to 9789 with "w" (lower case w, no quotes) and then get back a reply with my True WiFi username and password" routine. That may still work with my notebook computer, even thought my iPhone is MAC-registered. "One of these days," I'll check it out.

• 1 month later...

I was debating on "shelling out" the money for yet another internet stick. But if you gotta have high speed, True appeared to be the best option for coverage and reliability. The samsung cooper phone does not have 850 mhz, and I saw TrueMove had a promotion on their high speed stick for 2000 baht. So I decided when I went to Paragon I would swing by TrueMove shop and get one. The one inside Paragon Mall was sold out. There is another TrueMove store across the street from the mall and they were stocked. When I got there, the free 30 hours of internet for 2 months (15 3G and 15 edge) was gone. They are currently adding 100 MB to the first month of prepay packages.

They had a special postpay package of 350 baht where you get 750Mb 3g and 250 edge; wifi is separate (I think 0.50 baht/min?). Months 1,3,5 are free. So for the 6 month contract, you are paying 1050 + vat for 750 mb.

I decided to go with the 399 baht for 500Mb 3g data and 10 hours of wifi. They are currently adding 100 MB bonus to the first month of prepay packages.

Well, certainly an improvement from the Dtac edge stick I was borrowing from a friend I stay with occassionally. I "introduced" her to the NetSim pamphlet. If she is already paying 400 or 800 baht anyway, why not get faster speed?

I do have 2 questions: I am in an apartment near Mo Mien Yai. I set the connection to "WCDMA only" (force high speed only). It switches between HSPA (cyan) and WCDMA (blue) connection often enough for me to notice. I don't suppose for the mac version that there is a way to force HPSA only. The connection is only 2 bars for HSPA, but I think if i could "force it", it would hold on those 2 bars.

2) does the upload MB count towards your limit? or is it just the download MB?

I was debating on "shelling out" the money for yet another internet stick. But if you gotta have high speed, True appeared to be the best option for coverage and reliability. The samsung cooper phone does not have 850 mhz, and I saw TrueMove had a promotion on their high speed stick for 2000 baht. So I decided when I went to Paragon I would swing by TrueMove shop and get one. The one inside Paragon Mall was sold out. There is another TrueMove store across the street from the mall and they were stocked. When I got there, the free 30 hours of internet for 2 months (15 3G and 15 edge) was gone. They are currently adding 100 MB to the first month of prepay packages.

They had a special postpay package of 350 baht where you get 750Mb 3g and 250 edge; wifi is separate (I think 0.50 baht/min?). Months 1,3,5 are free. So for the 6 month contract, you are paying 1050 + vat for 750 mb.

I decided to go with the 399 baht for 500Mb 3g data and 10 hours of wifi. They are currently adding 100 MB bonus to the first month of prepay packages.

Well, certainly an improvement from the Dtac edge stick I was borrowing from a friend I stay with occassionally. I "introduced" her to the NetSim pamphlet. If she is already paying 400 or 800 baht anyway, why not get faster speed?

I do have 2 questions: I am in an apartment near Mo Mien Yai. I set the connection to "WCDMA only" (force high speed only). It switches between HSPA (cyan) and WCDMA (blue) connection often enough for me to notice. I don't suppose for the mac version that there is a way to force HPSA only. The connection is only 2 bars for HSPA, but I think if i could "force it", it would hold on those 2 bars.

2) does the upload MB count towards your limit? or is it just the download MB?

No way to force HSPDA. Both Uploads and downloads count towards your Data limit.

The good news is that on the 500MB/399 baht package you get a bonus of 500MB for the first three months. So 1GB per month.

If you buy a True pre-paid volume-based NetSIM (59 baht), you get 100 MB of 3G as a base each and every month.

If you layer a 399 baht monthly volume-based package on top of that (note that the table is mis-labelled; it should read "volume-based") you get another 500 MB each and every month, for a total of 600 MB.

Additionally, there was (and perhaps still is) a promotion that gave you an extra 500 MB for the first three months, so a total of 1.1 GB, but just for the first three months.

You can check usage/balance by sending a message to 9789 with a single lower-case b in the body. You'll get back an SMS (in Thai) with the details.

I believe you always have HSPA (3G/WDCMA is the transport), and that any "toggling" you see is simply the re-negotiation with the network to higher/lower data rates based on location. On most devices you can select, provided you know the service codes, RAT modes: 2G (GSM) only, 3G (WDCDMA) only or dual (automatic switching between 2G and 3G). With True I've found it best to stick with dual-mode, like when using the subway ;) , but sometimes I change RAT to WDCMA (only).

I understand bandwidth to include both directions but this is not delineated in an T's & C's I've seen. I suspect they may not be metering aggregate upload volume, but they mught have triggers?

Edited by lomatopo

If you buy a True pre-paid volume-based NetSIM (59 baht), you get 100 MB of 3G as a base each and every month........

It could be that I have that already. Lady said only for the first month I get the 100Mb, but maybe it is every month.
.... You can check usage/balance by sending a message to 9789 with a single lower-case b in the body. You'll get back an SMS (in Thai) with the details.

Thanks for the tip. any other useful codes?

I believe you always have HSPA (3G/WDCMA is the transport), and that any "toggling" you see is simply the re-negotiation with the network to higher/lower data rates based on location. On most devices you can select, provided you know the service codes, RAT modes: 2G (GSM) only, 3G (WDCDMA) only or dual (automatic switching between 2G and 3G). With True I've found it best to stick with dual-mode, like when using the subway ;) , but sometimes I change RAT to WDCMA (only)....

One thing I notice at my friends apartment in Mo Mien Yai, even though the WCDMA signal is strong enough, it will switch to edge. It will not connect, but the modem, as if the signal vanished. . cannot isolate if it is location in apartment, location for connection to tower, or Mac version of connection software not properly forcing to WCDMA only (not properly reattempting the WCDMA signal). I find it hard to believe that the connection is gone. I will check outside and different areas of the apartment. Maybe it is bettter. But a stationary position of the laptop in a building shouldn't switch too much, having strong signal one minute and then weak signal the next, on all 3 of

It seems like there are 3 different 3gs WCDMA, HSPA, and HSPDA. I've seen the exact letters next to the signal strength.

Is there a way(s) to boost the signal? Maybe buy one of those extension cables?

Edited by 4evermaat