Flights From Chiang Mai To Usa

millwall_fan

Mrs Millwall_fan and I have been invited to her sisters wedding to an American oil man in June. The wedding is in Covington, Louisiana. I've been searching for flghts from Chiang Mai to the USA without going via Bangkok. This I think means Chiang Mai - Taipei with China Airlines. For love nor money I can't establish whether, and if so when the CNX-TPE flights depart. Have any of you guys tried this route: I guess after Taipei I'd go to LA and then down to Dallas/Fort Worth and then on to either Baton Rouge or New Orleans (both about equidistant from where they live) I've never flown East from Thailand so am a complete novice. Any advice would be much appreciated

last I checked the Direct CNX to TPR flights VIA China Airlines had been discontinued.

They still have competitive prices from BKK to SFO or LAX but it's less convenient without a doubt.

Anyone have any info on China Airlines future plans or other options like EVA etc?

The last time I checked China Air does not show up on their web site connecting threw TPR but they are flying. You will need to check with your travel agent. Yes i have taken this flight from CNX to LAX. Another option is Korean Air they fly CNX to Inchon then to the US.

last I checked the Direct CNX to TPR flights VIA China Airlines had been discontinued.

They still have competitive prices from BKK to SFO or LAX but it's less convenient without a doubt.

Anyone have any info on China Airlines future plans or other options like EVA etc?

The last time I checked China Air does not show up on their web site connecting threw TPR but they are flying. You will need to check with your travel agent. Yes i have taken this flight from CNX to LAX. Another option is Korean Air they fly CNX to Inchon then to the US.

Whoops I meant to say CNX to TPE

Gotlost.. Did you fly China Airlines recently? I think they just recently stopped their online booking for CNX to TPE direct flights. I have flown last year CNX to LAX but perhaps the Thailand economic malaise has changed the situation.

Gotlost.. Did you fly China Airlines recently? I think they just recently stopped their online booking for CNX to TPE direct flights. I have flown last year CNX to LAX but perhaps the Thailand economic malaise has changed the situation.

No it has been a while . If you go on their web site and do a research TPE to Lax it is still on but if you try to do CNX to Lax it is a no go. CNX to TPE is OK.. So as I say need to check with a travel agent.

No it has been a while . If you go on their web site and do a research TPE to Lax it is still on but if you try to do CNX to Lax it is a no go. CNX to TPE is OK.. So as I say need to check with a travel agent.

yeah okay... looks like they are flying the two legs alright... when I try to price the legs it's quite high compared to the old price. 11K r/t CNX to TPE and another 37K TWD r/t TPE to LAX.

If anyone figures out a total price thru a local agent etc then I would be curious to see the damage.... about 48K baht is painful via the CA website..

Is the CNX to Seoul flight currently operating gotlost? If it is, that would be even better because from Seoul. Korean Air fly direct to Dallas/Fort Worth, which is then only a short hop to Baton Rouge. Thus I could cut out a West Coast stop over.

Is the CNX to Seoul flight currently operating gotlost? If it is, that would be even better because from Seoul. Korean Air fly direct to Dallas/Fort Worth, which is then only a short hop to Baton Rouge. Thus I could cut out a West Coast stop over.

According to their website YES the do but only on select days. http://www.koreanair.com/ So tomorrow I suggest you contact your travel agent.

If anyone figures out a total price thru a local agent etc then I would be curious to see the damage.... about 48K baht is painful via the CA website..

I have used other travel websites and have come up for CA, CNX to LAX return about 26K.

that's a good price G-L ... Do you mind sharing what site you found that one on?

I have used other travel websites and have come up for CA, CNX to LAX return about 26K.

that's a good price G-L ... Do you mind sharing what site you found that one on?

Your price of 48K may be a bargin. I'm sill looking and finding flights to lax for about 60k return.If I find a low one I'll post.:lol:

Yes, one of the problems with Korean, which connects from Seoul (free clean showers) to a number of U.S. destinations, is that there can be delays there which keep them from showing on search engines. But they are not so bad as the intentional Bangkok bottlenecks.

And the other problem is, as mentioned, that they only fly on certain days out of cnx.

With regard to price competition, we must recall that Koreans come here to golf, still. And some commute back and forth.

Your price of 48K may be a bargin. I'm sill looking and finding flights to lax for about 60k return.If I find a low one I'll post.:lol:

Hard to compare prices when you don't know what date you are going on. There is a difference in fare between high and low season. Some airlines have different rates depending on what day of the week you are going.

You are best to deal with a travel agent. Not sure if that adds to the cost or not.

I know the last time I went to Bali I dealt with K and K business center and it was cheaper than booking on line with Air Asia. Plus Singapore Air is a much better airline.

For around 40,000 I can fly to the states with Thai air to Bangkok and EVA Air to the west coast. They do have other North American Destinations but I am not sure what they are. I just know of Seattle, San Francisco and LA.

Yes, one of the problems with Korean, which connects from Seoul (free clean showers) to a number of U.S. destinations, is that there can be delays there which keep them from showing on search engines. But they are not so bad as the intentional Bangkok bottlenecks.

And the other problem is, as mentioned, that they only fly on certain days out of cnx.

With regard to price competition, we must recall that Koreans come here to golf, still. And some commute back and forth.

I was told they give you a choice of a room or a tour during your Swoul lay over. Not sure but I think there is another stop before they go to the states.

I was told they give you a choice of a room or a tour during your Swoul lay over. Not sure but I think there is another stop before they go to the states.

Korean Air currently flies two days per week from CNX. Their office/rep is on Nimmanhaemin. They're very competitively priced and the flights are usually full and booked way in advance. They are the only reasonably priced way to get to the east coast of the US with only one stop. If you're going to the east coast it's a very short layover and it's non-stop from Seoul. I assume Seoul to the west coast is the same.

Just fly with EVA. They code share with Bangkok Air, so if you can find a convenient connecting flight you can use the trans-pac weight allowances on your domestic leg. The AM flight back to Bangkok arrives about noon and you can hang out in the Bangkok Airways lounge awaiting the departing flight back to CNX. Not always the cheapest fares, but always competitive and almost the only flights that avoid the midnight arrival into Suwannaphum and the forced overnight transit at a Bangkok hotel.

Edited by Johpa

I flew CNX-TPE-LAX-TPE-CNX in 2008 and it worked out great for me. I had hoped to take that same route this year but have been told that the service is no longer available. I really don't want to go to Bangkok first! Here is what I was offered on Korean Air:

Korean Air

Route: Chiang Mai - Inchoen - L.A - Inchoen - Chiang Mai

Price: 28,500 + tax 10,000 THB

**Price and tax subject to change**

(This is a current fare which not cover traveling in April,awaiting for a new fare)

Hi Milwall Fan---don't believe the rumours about China Airlines having stopped flying this route. Their flights from Chiang Mai to SFO or LAX are VERY MUCH alive and well. I have flown the route three times in the last four months. In fact I'm in SF now, having flown out on China Airlines from CNX on Feb 17th. The route is convenient and quick and avoiding Bangkok is great. Last time when I returned it took me just five minutes from stepping off the plane to walking out of the terminal---immigration, customs and luggage claim all included. I thought that must be some sort of record! Trying doing that if going via Bangkok.

Furthermore, their prices are excellent---much better than Korean Airlines. Flying business class it is 87K round trip, and economy fares are also good. In fact the only thing not good about China Airlines is their almost useless web site. The one thing you can get from the web site however is a download of their timetable, which shows the days and times of outbound flights from CNX to SFO or LAX. Fortunately they have a good reservations service by phone---the number is 02 250 9898. If you call they let you make a reservation and get a fare and still give you several days before you need to pay the money and ticket it.

Have fun -- dont eat any seafood

Thanks for a few very helpful replies. If anyone has any more specific info about flying from Chiang Mai to the area round Louisiana/Texas with the fewest plane changes possible, I'd appreciate it. (rather than general meanderings about flying to LAX)

PlanetX: I think you are being a bit harsh! - assuming you are talking about Deepwater Horizon. I've looked at quite a few local Louisiana websites that suggest that the seafood on sale in Louisiana restaurants has been passed by the US authorities and is safe to eat. I hope so: One of the compensations of being forced to attend a family wedding in that part of the world is the prospect of trying a bit of the local Cajun cuisine and seafood seems to feature heavily on local menus!

One more point: I've never been to America before and because I'm travelling with the wife, I'm a bit concerned about safety. How safe is that part of the world for tourists such as us coming from a safe haven like Chiang Mai? I've had a mixture of feedback in my pub from 'don't go out at night its very dangerous' to 'don't be stupid its perfectly safe'. any thoughts?

My last two trips (in November and January) I flew the route you plan---CNX to Louisiana, specifically New Orleans. In practice you have to enter at a West Coast airport, which for this route means SFO or LAX. The route with the fewest flights (and lowest cost I believe) is CNX to TPE, TPE to LAX, LAX to New Orleans. This is only three flights because (unlike from SFO) there are non-stops from LAX to New Orleans. I'd be pleased to answer any questions---PM me if you need additional info.

Seafood was great and safe and New Orleans looks just like it always did---no signs of hurricane Katrina or the oil spill. The tourist areas felt entirely safe to me (with normal precautions), so no need to worry about taking your wife there. There are areas of New Orleans which are not safe, but these are not areas tourists are likely to go.

One more point: I've never been to America before and because I'm travelling with the wife, I'm a bit concerned about safety. How safe is that part of the world for tourists such as us coming from a safe haven like Chiang Mai? I've had a mixture of feedback in my pub from 'don't go out at night its very dangerous' to 'don't be stupid its perfectly safe'. any thoughts?

Just ask at your hotel which areas are safe and which aren't. Any American would do the same thing in a city that they were not familiar with.

I used asiana, last fall, and paid 1070 RT for Phoenix-LAX-Inchon-BKK and return. My ticket from BKK to CNX was 1000 THB on Airasia. I used www.usaasiatravel.com

It is a thai/american named chris. They gave me a beautiful hotel in Seoul for my 8 hour layover. Going direct from cnx to CKS looks good on paper, but is never competitive. Get a RT from BKK to LAX, the go to www.iflyswa.com and get your domestic ticket. The new airport rail link in BKK is great, and cheap.

I used asiana, last fall, and paid 1070 RT for Phoenix-LAX-Inchon-BKK and return. My ticket from BKK to CNX was 1000 THB on Airasia. I used www.usaasiatravel.com

It is a thai/american named chris. They gave me a beautiful hotel in Seoul for my 8 hour layover. Going direct from cnx to CKS looks good on paper, but is never competitive. Get a RT from BKK to LAX, the go to www.iflyswa.com and get your domestic ticket. The new airport rail link in BKK is great, and cheap.

What does 1070 mean? What currency are you referring to?

US Dollars, including all taxes. So 32,500+/-.

US Dollars, including all taxes. So 32,500+/-.

The cheapest flight from CNX to New Orleans by way of BKK, AA to BKK is http://www.expedia.c...d-13822349a50b 52373 baht return.