Intra-country Money Transfer

Believe the best system is run by the Post Office and thus available in the smallest village.

Service Name : Telegraph Money Order   ( โทรเลขธนาณัติ )

Service Information : This service enables you to send money to domestic recipients (usually reaches recipients the next day) and international recipients in 6 countries (reaches recipients in 1-2 days). Thailand Post will send payment orders to destinations via the telecommunications network, making this service ideal for recipients who want to receive payment urgently.

Service Station : Any post office

http://www.thailandpost.com/cash_service_en.asp

Edited by lopburi3

I haven’t used Western Union or Moneygram. This option may be easier.

Ask if the person you are transferring to has a bank account. It may be more convenient to deposit the money into their account at a branch of their bank near you.

I recall Krungthai charge 70B for deposits to accounts held at other branches.

Looking to send about 10,000 baht from one city in Thailand to another.

About how much would Western Union be for this short distance?

Or would a Moneygram payment (private party) be best?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

If you're not in a hurry, don't send it by Western Union; too expensive. I sent 20,000 baht to my wife from Bangkok to Khonkan and I think it was around 700 baht. That's way too much in my opinion. The only reason I did it and not just deposit it in her bank is because it was a weekend and the money had to be there asap. As another poster has said, the post office is the cheapest and most efficient other than a bank deposit.

My GF told me that the post office was the best choice (50 baht) but the person I was sending it to didn't know where the post office was, and didn't speak Thai, so we decided just to send it via Western Union. (And banks weren't open today)

What a ripoff! :o

850 baht to send 10k a couple of hundred KM away. Almost as expensive as sending it half-way around the world. Sounds like even the Western Union office in Thailand is corrupt. It's cheaper to send it to the Philippines than it is to send it 3 hour's drive away within the same country.