Visa Renewals, Extensions Of Stay, Permission To Stay?

Visa renewals are easy, this I understand (I think, but here goes anyway). You do this out of country and it is a permission to enter the country. From all accounts, KL will give a one year non-im o-type (marriage) if I show THB100,000 in a thai bank account. From a single post in another thread (someone's only post ever), singapore may do a ME non-im o-type if you show THB400,000 in a bank account in any country... Not sure about that one... But if I go home (Australia), I don't need to show money anywhere? Just the marriage certificate, the family book, ID card etc, pay the money and no probs...

I think I'm right so far, but maybe not about Singapore.

Extensions of Stay (EoS)

this is in lieu of leaving the country, you can apply for this and you get a one year permit/permission/etc [insert name of whatever you want to call it], and to get this you need to have THB400,000 in a Thai bank (again, I'm concentrating only on the marriage side here). This money has to be there for 2-3 months before the application. If you're on an extension of stay and you want to leave you must get a re-entry permit and the extension remains valid. Without the permit, the extension is null and void and you would have to go elsewhere and get a new visa and start over again

The 90 day thing

although married, I have to leave the country every 90 days, the dreaded border run. But what is this thing called where I just report every 90 days? Do I have to show this money EVERY 90 days, or just the first time?

Is there something called a 'permission to stay'?

Is this related?

Is the extension of stay ONLY applied for once the visa runs out? Or is it that (EoS) that I can apply for in any instance?

Is it possible to have a non-im o-type ME visa AND an EoS or are these mutually exclusive?

If you can, and have both EoS and ME visa, do you still need the reentry permit to keep the EoS alive?

I think my main confusion is around the 90 day reporting or border run when operating on a visa and it's relationship (if any) to the EoS

Every time I start to think I understand this, I realize I don't :(

BTW, I am aware that I don't need to have THB400,000 in the account if I can satisfy a monthly income of THB40,000 a month, but for intensive purposes I will be showing the former, not the latter.

Sorry for the long post and all the questions. But I am trying to get it all straight in my head.

If you have a 12 month extension of stay obtained from Immigration you do not have to leave the country every 90 days.

You do have to report to Immigration every 90 days. Unless you leave the country with a Re Entry Permit in which case the 90 day clock starts again when you return.

If you have a 12 month extension of stay obtained from Immigration you do not have to leave the country every 90 days.

You do have to report to Immigration every 90 days. Unless you leave the country with a Re Entry Permit in which case the 90 day clock starts again when you return.

So, having a ME visa now, do I wait for it to expire and then get my extension of stay? Or is that something I can do now?

Visa renewals are easy, this I understand (I think, but here goes anyway). You do this out of country and it is a permission to enter the country. From all accounts, KL will give a one year non-im o-type (marriage) if I show THB100,000 in a thai bank account. From a single post in another thread (someone's only post ever), singapore may do a ME non-im o-type if you show THB400,000 in a bank account in any country... Not sure about that one... But if I go home (Australia), I don't need to show money anywhere? Just the marriage certificate, the family book, ID card etc, pay the money and no probs...

I think I'm right so far, but maybe not about Singapore. Outside Thailand basically what you are doing is purchasing an NON O visa, to be based on marriage. Different Embassies/Consulates have different rulings and it is best to check with chosen consulate first. Some will give single entry & some will give multiple

Extensions of Stay (EoS)

this is in lieu of leaving the country, you can apply for this and you get a one year permit/permission/etc [insert name of whatever you want to call it], and to get this you need to have THB400,000 in a Thai bank (again, I'm concentrating only on the marriage side here). This money has to be there for 2-3 months before the application. If you're on an extension of stay and you want to leave you must get a re-entry permit and the extension remains valid. Without the permit, the extension is null and void and you would have to go elsewhere and get a new visa and start over again Here you are converting you purchased O visa into an 'extension of stay' based on marriage/family visa. For this you have to show either 400,000 baht in the Thai bank (for 2 months on 1st app and for 3 months on yearly renewal) OR a certified income of 45,000 Baht per month guaranteed by your Embassy from within Thailand.

Once granted if you require to leave the country, to keep your visa valid you must purchase a reentry stamp (single 1000 baht, multiple 3,800 baht)

The 90 day thing

although married, I have to leave the country every 90 days, the dreaded border run. But what is this thing called where I just report every 90 days? Do I have to show this money EVERY 90 days, or just the first time? Once your visa has been extended by immigration you DO NOT have to do Visa run, just notify @ local Immigration office

Is there something called a 'permission to stay'? Same as EoS

Is this related? Dunno I assume same

Is the extension of stay ONLY applied for once the visa runs out? Or is it that (EoS) that I can apply for in any instance? Application for EoS can be made within the life span of original O visa

Is it possible to have a non-im o-type ME visa AND an EoS or are these mutually exclusive? No- EoS kills your ME Visa

If you can, and have both EoS and ME visa, do you still need the reentry permit to keep the EoS alive? Cannot

I think my main confusion is around the 90 day reporting or border run when operating on a visa and it's relationship (if any) to the EoS 90 day reporting begins after 1st EoS is issued OR 90 days after entering Thaialand

Every time I start to think I understand this, I realize I don't

BTW, I am aware that I don't need to have THB400,000 in the account if I can satisfy a monthly income of THB40,000 a month, but for intensive purposes I will be showing the former, not the latter. 45,000 per month

Sorry for the long post and all the questions. But I am

:jap:

Edited by terak69

ME Visa?

Multiple Entry :jap:

Thank You.

Madivad.

Assuming you want to extend your permision to stay based on having a Thai Wife you can apply within the final 30 days of any permision to stay.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Yeah, multiple entry, although irrelevant in this context I suppose. I should have been saying non-im o-type

Thanks for your answers guys, informative as always

Terak, the formatting now makes it easier to read ;-)

Just one comment about what you wrote though,

Once granted if you require to leave the country, to keep your visa valid you must purchase a reentry stamp (single 1000 baht, multiple 3,800 baht)

You mean to keep the 'extension' alive, yeah?

I think part of my confusion is related that people use visa and EoS interchangeably. But they are different.

And...

EoS kills your ME Visa

To clarify, the fact that you may have a multi entry visa, and reentry would be valid under that, the extension would be dead if you leave without the permit? Is the whole visa is invalidated?

What is the application fee for the EoS?

It's a bit of a PITA if I have a visa that allows ME, but I have to now get a Multiple reentry permit as well. Not complaining, just trying to understand. I actually have a need to leave and enter the country a few times before settling down, so I'm thinking I'll go for the EoS later down the track. I'm learning the difference/confusion is based on dealing with the two different govt departments.

Anyway, i am learning, Thanks again

ME Visa?

Multiple Entry :jap:

Thank You.

Madivad.

Assuming you want to extend your permision to stay based on having a Thai Wife you can apply within the final 30 days of any permision to stay.

this is exactly the thing that confuses me (sorry, I was still typing the last post when you put this reply up)... Same same extension of stay, yeah?

Or is "permission of stay" used interchangeably to include permissions based on visa as well as based on extension?

Yeah, multiple entry, although irrelevant in this context I suppose. I should have been saying non-im o-type

Thanks for your answers guys, informative as always

Terak, the formatting now makes it easier to read ;-)

Just one comment about what you wrote though,

You mean to keep the 'extension' alive, yeah?

I think part of my confusion is related that people use visa and EoS interchangeably. But they are different.

Yes people get confused as ALL Visa’s are issued outside Thailand. Any Extension of Stay is issued inside Thailand

And...

EoS kills your ME Visa

To clarify, the fact that you may have a multi entry visa, and reentry would be valid under that, the extension would be dead if you leave without the permit? Is the whole visa is invalidated?

Correct – If you enter Thailand on a Multiple entry Visa and extend it inside the country you are in fact killing the original visa & replacing it with an EoS, and in doing you also kill the original ME part

What is the application fee for the EoS? In an Immigration office 1900 baht

It's a bit of a PITA if I have a visa that allows ME, but I have to now get a Multiple reentry permit as well. Not complaining, just trying to understand. I actually have a need to leave and enter the country a few times before settling down, so I'm thinking I'll go for the EoS later down the track. I'm learning the difference/confusion is based on dealing with the two different govt departments. On your original Visa, buy single entry and convert inside Thailand

Anyway, i am learning, Thanks again

What you have to understand that everyone has different long term objectives, and this causes confusion as to what is best Visa for me !!

A Visa is what you use to gain entry to the country.

A Permision to Stay is what the Immigration Officer Stamps in your Passport.

You apply for an Extension of your Permision to Stay at Immigration in Thailand.

Visa = TR60, Non O, Non B, ED etc etc

PtS = Entry Stamp ???

EoS = Sucessful TM7 application

There has been some mis-information posted in this thread.

1. Income for marriage is 40k - not 45. It is not guaranteed by Embassy letter but only that you have shown paperwork or reported it and it can be local income shown by tax records.

2. Once on an extension of stay you are required to report address every 90 days following your original application if you remain in the country. If you travel and never stay longer than 90 days no such reports would ever be required. Count resets to 1 on each return.

3. Permission to stay is what every arriving passenger obtains when they pass through Immigration. Extension of stay is additional time of a permission to stay provided by a TM7 application to Immigration.

4. Application for extension of stay is normally accepted during the last 30 days of any permission to stay. This can be on a final permission of stay after a visa has expired.

5. Embassies can issue pre-approved one year extensions of stay in the case of retirement (non immigrant O-A visa). Immigration can provide visa entry for specific cases (change or obtain to meet extension of stay requirements) - very dangerous to ever say never about immigration rules.

6. In many/most cases multi entry visa are not canceled or marked as used when extended. But if used it would negate the extension of stay.

7. Please do not make up invalid abbreviation as in post 13 to further confuse issues.

Some excellent answers again, thanks lop, terak and LB. The last three posts from you guys clears up most everything.

Also, in looking for something else today I come back across the old pinned thread which also explains it quite well... I had forgotten about it

Here .

7. Please do not make up invalid abbreviation as in post 13 to further confuse issues.

no problems, unintentional, I thought it would have been easily understood. But point taken.

On a related question, when I got my visa back in Australia, I got the one year non im o-type based on marriage. This marriage was to my thai wife IN AUSTRALIA. That is we provided an Australian marriage certificate. We haven't had this recognised (yet) in Thailand. Will this be a problem down the track?

Actually the reference post was not yours.

For an extension of stay from Immigration you will have to have the document translated into Thai and registered with your Embassy and then with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then visit a district office in Thailand to have it entered into there ledger. As this is a District Office matter it must be in Thai. You would then supply a copy of that ledger entry to Immigration in the extension of stay process. It really takes longer to write than to do - not hard at all and a translation company can handle most of it.

Actually the reference post was not yours.

For an extension of stay from Immigration you will have to have the document translated into Thai and registered with your Embassy and then with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then visit a district office in Thailand to have it entered into there ledger. As this is a District Office matter it must be in Thai. You would then supply a copy of that ledger entry to Immigration in the extension of stay process. It really takes longer to write than to do - not hard at all and a translation company can handle most of it.

no problems, unintentional, I thought it would have been easily understood. But point taken :jap:

It really takes longer to write than to do - not hard at all and a translation company can handle most of it.

Thanks again, hadn't thought of the fact that a 'translation company' would handle most of it. Otherwise it does sound daunting... We have no hurry for these things, but we should get them rolling soon...

Cheers to all