Non Imm "b"

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm here in Penang right now and since I had no luck finding any current detailed info on getting non-immigrant "B" working visas I thought I'd pass this all for all of you. The following is a trip report and contact info for the Consulate-General.

The process is very simple and you can get any type of non-immigrant visas here and tourist visas as well. I simply needed a letter from my employer, 2 passport photos and a copy of the corporate papers. You need to show up the first day you arrive between 9am and 12pm to fill out the application and then you should be able to pickup the following day from 2pm to 4pm. I think you can safely count on this turnaround. Don't count on same day turnaround. I asked and got turned down. I'd recommend doing what I did and come at 8:45am to fill out paperwork and avoid potential longer lines. It only took me 10 minutes to get the paperwork submitted and leave.

They don't accept Thai Baht or currencies other than the Malaysian Ringgit. Cost for my 90 day single entry "B" is 200 Ringgit (as of this posting 1 Ringgit = 9.4 Baht). I know the multiple entry visa costs 500 Ringgit. I think these costs pertain to all non-immigrant visas as well.

Contact info:

Royal Thai Consulate-General, Penang Tel 04-2268029, Fax 04-2263121

Penang is very safe and just slightly more expensive than Bangkok. You can drive around the entire island in about 2 hours. My room at the Oriental Hotel cost about 700 baht. Only a two-star hotel but it's all I needed for a short trip.

Lastly, as far as getting here, I flew and it wasn't cheap but you can catch one of the mini buses in Bangkok for 2,400 baht round-trip. I'm sure any travel agent can book this for you. The train was sold out so I'm not sure how much this costs. Both train and bus are very long trips. I think about 15-20 hours. The flight took about 1 1/2 hours.

Good luck,

Keith

Hi Dr. Pat Pong. In regards to your question about multi entry in Penang, the guy at the consulate said "no" and that to get multi-entry, it will have to be approved when I get the 1 year visa in Bangkok. To be honest, I'm new around here and I get a bit confused. Maybe you can help...so right now, if I understand correctly, I'm applying for a 90 day temporary visa until my employer gets my offical paperwork approved for the 1 year visa with immigration in Thailand. Is this right? Assuming I'm on the right track, the guy at the Penang consulate said in order to get the multi-entry, I'll need to do this when I apply for the 1 year visa and not the 90 day temporary.

Post more questions/comments if you have them because I'm going back to the consulate tomorrow afternoon and can ask for more info.

What you want is a "Non-Immigrant visa with multiple entries valid for 12 months".

Tell them you prefer a Multiple instead of a Single or Double entry visa, because you will be travelling intensively in the Asian region.

There are agents in Penang who can grease the wheels for you for a few Ringgit. Anyone remember the name and address of that travel agency in Penang?

The other advantage if you work for a small company. They only have so many one year visa work permits. Its one for every 4 Thai employees working for the firm. If they have 24 Thais working. They can only have 6 work permits with one year visas but they can have additional work permits if some of the employees have a multiple entry non immigrant visa. With that visa, no requirement exist to have a certain number of Thais working.

The other advantage if you work for a small company. They only have so many one year visa work permits. Its one for every 4 Thai employees working for the firm. If they have 24 Thais working. They can only have 6 work permits with one year visas but they can have additional work permits if some of the employees have a multiple entry non immigrant visa.  With that visa, no requirement exist to have a certain number of Thais working.

Hi,

I have no doubt about what you say is correct, but isn't there an other requirement for a company wanting to employ a foreigner?

I was told that the company has to have at least 2M Baht paid-up capital per foreigner employed. Is this still correct or have the rules changed?

opalhort

I was told that the company has to have at least 2M Baht paid-up capital per foreigner employed. Is this still correct or have the rules changed

No

To be eligible, foreigners must do ONE of the following:

- Serve workplaces with registered capital of at least two million baht. One foreigner can be hired for every two million baht of capital.

- Serve workplaces which have paid taxes of at least five million baht in the past three years. One foreigner can be hired for every five million baht in tax.

- Serve export firms which bring in foreign currency of at least three million baht a year. One foreigner can be hired for every three million baht in income, up to a maximum of three foreigners.

- Serve workplaces which employ no more than five foreign workers, where the firm observes a ratio of 50 Thai workers for every one foreigner.

- Pay at least 18,000 baht in personal income tax in the past year.

Foreigners who have not worked here before must produce documents from potential employers confirming they will be paid at least 30,000 baht if they are single and 45,000 baht each if they are married.

The last condition would make the employee eligible if they did not have 2 million of capital .

Regards,

Greg Lange

Msanaging Directoe

Sunbelt Asia

www.sunbeltasia.com

[email protected]

Guest IT Manager
. Forget Singapore

Can I ask, Why? If paperwork is perfect- on what basis will they turn you away. Used Singapore late 90's never had a problem.... wonder why they're hassling people now...

Just for information, I went to Yangon in October. Paperwork required was perfect, according to their list odf documents needed when I left LoS.

They found something else. Next time I have that as well. It will be interesting.

I actually like going there. I have friends there and places to go and people to see. They screw themselves mortally with dumb intent. In an effort to make life hard for foreign residents spending about 5-700,000 baht PA, they send them over the border, to view new horizons.

Wonderful folks, but not a participant in the World Intelligence Olympics.

This may of course be a reflection of the Government.

Just for your info I recently applied for a multiple entry year 'B' visa in London. I used your example letter, from an existing Thai company but they also wanted a copy of company registration. The costs have also rocketed £25 single tourist and £90 for multiple 'B'.

Guest IT Manager
Just for your info I recently applied for a multiple entry year 'B' visa in London. I used your example letter, from an existing Thai company but they also wanted a copy of company registration. The costs have also rocketed £25 single tourist and £90 for multiple 'B'.

Just for our information, was the company that sent the letter, legit? Did you get the 12 months non-B?

You will find that most problems about not getting the requested 12 months is about applying in Asia. You will also note that the general view on the board, is that to apply in your own country is a snap.

And should I add an OMG about paying 90 quid for a 15 month visa? :o