Pond Filter

The wife decided we needed a new filter for our pond, so I went to one of the fish shops in town and got a filter - a bucket thing with some tubes on the sides - and a bunch of stuff to put in it: big plasic ball things, some stuff I understood was coal, some pebble looking stuff labelled "zeolite" and some filter-mats. But I couldn't really understand what order these would go in, i.e. from water intake to exist, which order should the water go through these things?

Hi Phil, Obviously the supplier failed to give you any good information on the order of things so I will tell you what order I would put things in. Starting from the bottom I would put the hair curler type balls, I would place a single layer of filter mat above that. The supplier has probably given you the white fibre stuff, thats ok for one time use, but personally I would get a sponge type filter mat (easy to get at Chatuchak) and cut it to the right size.

You can then make the next layer of either zeolite or charcole but again putting a filter mat layer in between. You might wish to wash the charcoal before using it or the pond will instantly turn as black as a witches hat and will immediatley clog your new filter. Finally, the top layer should be another one or two layers of matting.

By the way, the sponge filter matting is available in a number of different grades (fine to coarse) and about 1.5 inches (40mm) thick, I would use a medium grade all the way through the filter except for the very top one where I would use something very coarse simply as a leaf filter.

I hope this is of some use and it is only my opinion, others might suggest otherwise. Personally, I have used a large plastic storage box, the sort that is available from most supermarkets for about 350 baht. I have 3 outlets at the bottom of the box and another at the bottom rear with a tap on to use when I want to clean the unit. I have an inlet at the top of the box with a large spray bar attached to distribute the incoming water. For a filter medium I have about 3 inches (75 mm) of "hair curlers" topped off with 2 layers of medium grade sponge and a single layer of rubber coated horse hair (also from Chatuchak). It has been running in my pond for about 5 years, the water is very clear and I have not lost a fish in that time.

Good luck.

KS

Edited by planemad

You might wish to wash the charcoal before using it or the pond will instantly turn as black as a witches hat and will immediatley clog your new filter

We've rinsed the charcoal 10 times already and the water still seems to go quite black. Is that ok or do we need to keep rinsing it until the rinse water becomes clear?

It can be quite a long job as you have found out, however, once the bulk of the coal dust is removed and the rinse water starts to run a little clearer then you should be OK. If you are in any way worried, leave it out, the natural aerobic and anerobic bacteria will soon build up in the filter and take care of most of the toxins that might build up in the water.

Good luck.

KS

• 5 months later...

Hello,

Reviving an old thread - but this seems to be the most relevant place. Do you guys have any idea about the price of ready made filters like this, if I'm not upto making one on my own at this point? planemad's idea of the 350B plastic box sounds terrific and I'm going to get my hands dirty sooner or later with it.... but for now I'm trying to get a heads up about the prices before I head for Chatuchak.

I watched a whole bunch of videos on YouTube regarding these filters and seems like the most convenient way of making one would be to introduce some sort of seive like containers inside the plastic box , with each container holding a different filter medium (sponge, charcoal, gravel etc.). This makes cleaning the filter a lot easier too, as all you need to do is pull-out a specific container. The water in these filters flows sideways as opposed to planemad's top-down approach.

My question is, do you have any suggestion on "what" can be used as these filter media containers if I am to stick them into that 350B plastic box? I was thinking on the lines of those netted plastic shopping bags, but I wonder if they will fit in smugly into the box. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

We have a pond some 3mt x 2mt x 40cm deep Have got the usual water lillies and just gold fish that's because they can live in crap. Had a dirty water problem went to the local pet shop to get a filter. Had a look in there book and what they had in store, got more confused by the min: They then said why dont you just put in an oxygenator. Got an air pump for about 200bt with 3 power setting's "set it on two to start with now only on 1" with two take off's then split those into 4 with those bit's that make the bubbles on the end, put two at one end two the other. Tip you will need two screw bit's to adjust/balance the air flow. After about three week's bingo all clear, and still is six month's later. The peep's in the shop told me later I would only need a filter if I had carp as the like the water to move around. You could put it in as well as the filter. And a dam site cheaper at about 350bt all in. Best of luck.

• 9 months later...

Hi, now it's my turn to revive this thread. We have a small tiled fish pool in the front of the, about 3' by 12' and 1.5-2' deep. We (I) got tired of it always looking murky and my wife hasn't had good luck keeping her fancy goldfish alive (the guppies and beta - no problems). Anyway, we completely cleaned the pool and bought a plastic tank type filter (about 3 gals) and motor. Water is pumped through plastic hair-rolled looking things and white fiber stuff then returns out the bottom of the tank. Chances are many of you have seen these because they are common here I think. We bought some colorful fancy goldfish, and introduced them into the pool after testing the water's Ph. All was well, the water sparking clean, happy fish swimming around. Oh, we also bought a second pump for aeration.

Then we wanted to add water lilies as we had before. We bought two clumps in a large black plastic pot and set them into the pool. All was fine until I checked the pool a couple of hours later only to see dirty water. Evidently the filtered water being pumped into the pool was churning up the mud at the bottom of each pot of lilies. Grr, never thought about that. Now what to do, anybody have ideas? We really want to have clear fresh looking water. I thought maybe putting stones or marbles in the pots on top of the mud (now much) but it still may get swished into the water. Wife thinks maybe we should scrap the lilies idea and buy some plastic plants and flowers instead but I am hoping we don't have to resort to that.

Hope somebody sees this post who has some ideas. Thanks\

Here is a before photo and then one I took just before the water turned dirty.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lopburi,

Sorry to hear about your muddy water. I have a few thoughts, but please, I am no expert so really up to you. First, your larger pic seems to show 2 water returns (1 through the filter and 1 through the water feature) and a small fountain. That will create a lot of water disturbance, especially as your pond is not very deep. I suggest with the filter maybe adding a length of blue pipe and an elbow joint to take the returned water to the bottom of the pool, then another joint with a diffuser on the end. This will reduce the direct force of the water. I assume the pots with the lotus were not the basket variety, if they are replace with solid pottery bowls and use the proper lotus mud available wherever you bought the plants from, I would also put a shallow layer of pea gravel over the top.

I hope something I have said works for you, plastic plants just don't look right.

Good Luck and let us know if you have any success.

KS

The pea gravel in the pots solved the problem of dirt coming from them. A simple, perfect solution! Also, I like the idea of diverting the water return from the filter down near the floor of the pool. That is the only return. The water from the ceramic is just pumped up and through for effect.

Since I have you on the line, is there a suction gizmo of some sort which I can use manually to keep the floor free of crap? Or is there a better way? We now have nice clear water, next is to try to keep the bottom as clean as we can. Diverting the return water near the bottom might also help swish the crap toward the filter inlet.

Thanks planemad.

Edited by Lopburi99