Phuket Beer - Whatever Happened To It?

simon43

Years ago, I remember that there was a bottled beer available called 'Phuket Lager' or 'Phuket Beer'. It had a parrot logo on the label. I don't think it was locally-brewed though. I do not mean the beer produced by 'Phuket Brewery' which is opposite Tescos - that is a more recent product and I think they only serve draught.

I haven't seen Phuket Lager for years. Is it still available for purchase in Phuket, and if so, where?

Simon

Nothing to do with Phuket Brewery. I think Phuket Beers warehouse was a bit further along the bypass road on the right side. I thought Phuket Beer/Lager went out of business a number of years ago. they only seemed to have lasted for a couple of years. There was Phuket Gazette article about the closing. If I find the link I'll post it up.

Mmm ... maybe they are still alive. Google says http://www.piperbeverages.com/phuket-lager-thailand/ and http://www.facebook.com/pages/Phuket-Beer/140620555956776

I thought the Gazette article was about the Phuket Brewery (opposite Tesco) closing.

I thought the Phuket Lager was just a relabelling of a major Thai beer brand.

Perhaps I can produce my own-label beer? (I thought about this a long time ago, but couldn't figure out how I would be able to drink 1,000 bottles of beer a month from my micro-brewery...)

Simon

Went bust I believe.

I knew several sales-people that worked for them who left very dissatisfied.

They were supposed to get a commission for each case they sold to bars and restaurants.

They got this the first time, then the owners approached these bars and restaurants directly and offered the owners a cheaper price (because they didn't have to pay commission anymore).

A very dishonest way to do business.

I don't know where it was originally brewed but when San Miguel opened in Thailand they took over the brewing.

I haven't seen it in Phuket, or Thailand for that matter, for some time but I think it is still available overseas so it may now just be brewed for export.

Nice label, average to poor taste, if my memory serves me correctly.

When I first came to Thailand in 2001 I had tourists/customers on their 2nd or 3rd trip to Phuket asking for Phuket Beer, but I had never heard of it before. I looked into it and was told they went under. Then in 2003 shortly after I returned to the states, I saw it for sale in a Thai restaurant. When I returned to Phuket in 2007, I looked but couldn't find it anywhere, so I Googled it and found this website. www.phuketbeer.com and emailed [email protected]. They sent me a very short list of places it could be found. Unfortunately I don't seem to have that email anymore, but someone could email them again. You can also order it off their website.

Anyway, it is still around but very hard to find. I have seen it on shelves somewhere very recently but I don't recall where. Villa Market maybe. Strangely bars don't seem to stock it. It's kind of a sweet beer. Might not be for everyone.

From their website:

Phuket Beer is available at selected hotels, restaurants, bars, and golf courses in Phuket and Bangkok. One can also enjoy Phuket Beer at selected bars and restaurants around the world.

Yeah, so select nobody can find it. <_<

Edited by ScubaBuddha