Thailish

chaamjamal

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have all seen signs like "Mortar cycles for rent" or "Please don't spit everywhere". The Ministry of Health recently declared that it is illegal to sell alcohol to "children under 18 years old". Odd prose is everywhere in Thailand even in the Bangkok Post.

So, where is the problem?

Thai road sign in Oz (scratching head) cant think of any, have seen Chinese street signs in the Valley in Brisbane.

Anyway who cares it adds a bit of humour, imagine renting a "Mortar Cycle". Is that a cement mixer that does 1/4 mile in 10 seconds? :o

bronco

Thats another problem with this ###### country.

Besides the lack of fat ugly women, screaming, demanding horrible kids,lousy service in pubs,even lousier weather,road rage,getting out of the motor at filling stations to do it yourself then taking out a mortgage to pay for the stuff,aggresive, louts in bars(you looking at me ?)car theft and vandalism,old people dying from hypothermia,food that has been hanging around the freezer for about 3 years,people who don't smile, except when you fall over and break the odd leg or two on the ice,beaches that look like construction sites and you only get blue seas providing there is a chemical works outlet nearby,asylum seekers who get more money than me etc.etc.

I am home sick now.

Taxi,taxi, take me to the airport ASAP.

Guest IT Manager

Axel, the chaps may be having a lend of you.

The sign says "Alcohol less than 18 years old (Johnnie Blue?), cannot be sold to kids".

Apologies for that. It should say children under the age of 18 may not be served/sold alcohol.

English is a very weird language.

One finds oneself nodding in a sense of concurrence with the general sense of this thread. There are times when one encounters a fairly distressing if not deplorable use of the language, not least on this pages! But I do begin to suspect that we ought to differentiate in a very real sense between the slovenly and unexcusable grammar from native English speakers and the very brave attempts made by our Thai friends. While of course they at times make errors that border on the amusing, one has only to contemplate ones own ability in the Thai language. Could we, if I dare suggest it, do any better? I can firmly state that both myself and the good lady wife (Mrs. Klonky) have found ourselves in quite profound states of miscomprehension due to our use of the wrong tone or word. Nonetheless, and not withstanding this, our Thai interlocutors always patiently tried to grasp the sinuous thread of our meagre communicative attempts. Could we not at least attempt the same? Just a thought!

Very Interesting.. :o

To remind you, if you have forgotten..

This is Thailand. Thai is the national language. English is just the International Language. That does not mean all Thai's to speak and write perfect English. But it does mean all Thai's to know Thai Language well.

What do you think about American Zinglish

"One day I drive my black Color Car; Left side on the Road and stop to pump five Gallons of Gas on my way to the Organization I work"

Don’t you see that this too is pretty unusual like the other examples you guys have given above..

Who cares..we all understand..isn't it?

Odd prose from the Bangkok Post:

------

They don't know where to go or live after they pass away.

Some retirees have adjusted themselves to wives and children at home, but friction still happen. For instance, they feel like planting fruit trees around the houses but become uncertain if they will live long enough to enjoy the fruits.

------

There's more on my website.

By the way, a patronizing attitude is not helpful to our Thai friends.

A welcome interjection from the redoubtable Khun Kwiz (if I may make so bold!)

English is indeed a polymorphous and multifractal language with many forms and subforms, including American and even Australian. We need not be hard and fast in insisting upon a sterile uniformity of expression - the key thing is that the message is received. While we may smile at some distortions the gist becomes clear. I recall with some considerable affection a large sign at Ekkamai bus station some years ago boldly proclaiming "Toilet is Back". Upon examination this proved to indicate that the ablutionary services were located at the back of the main concourse and we were quite mistaken in our initial suspicions that these laudable services, having been removed, were now proudly reinstated. Upon a moments careful reflection, the message becomes clear. This should be sufficient for us all. Just a thought!

A welcome interjection from the redoubtable Khun Kwiz (if I may make so bold!)

English is indeed a polymorphous and multifractal language with many forms and subforms, including American and even Australian. We need not be hard and fast in insisting upon a sterile uniformity of expression - the key thing is that the message is received. While we may smile at some distortions the gist becomes clear. I recall with some considerable affection a large sign at Ekkamai bus station some years ago boldly proclaiming "Toilet is Back". Upon examination this proved to indicate that the ablutionary services were located at the back of the main concourse and we were quite mistaken in our initial suspicions that these laudable services, having been removed, were now proudly reinstated. Upon a moments careful reflection, the message becomes clear. This should be sufficient for us all. Just a thought!

Hi..I am an Asian..

I used a Thesaurus to get the meaning of some words in your above reply. :o

Upon a moments careful reflection, your message became clear. :DB)

And so these examples give us all a chuckle and life goes on. B)

Go to Hong Kong, China and anyywhere English is not the national language and you will see fine examples of mis-spelt or mis-used english. :o

Maybe the point is that at least those countries are making an effort to get information to the passer-by in the language spoken by most of the world.

I say - Good on you for that - how lost would foreigners be, expats or tourists, if everything was in Thai?! (Or Chinese, japanese, Korean . . . ) :D

To those of you sniggering about Thaiglish:

Let's see you successfully explain the linguistic deep structure of English to the Thais - in Thai. This is what it takes (or up to five-six years of total immersion in English) for Thai people to be able to grasp and use the language.

A case in point would be to explain the exact function of "it" in the sentence "it is raining", or why it is necessary to use "do" in "Do you like coffee?". I'm not even going to mention the ridiculous and messed-up spelling system.

Before you fully master another language with all its shades of meaning and idiomatic expressions yourselves, just give it a rest, will you?

Had the Axis powers won WW 2, we would all be struggling with the genders of German or the intricacies of the Japanese pronoun system now, and some very different people would be guffawing at our attempts.

:o

Besides the lack of fat ugly women, screaming, demanding horrible kids,lousy service in pubs,even lousier weather,road rage,getting out of the motor at filling stations to do it yourself then taking out a mortgage to pay for the stuff,aggresive, louts in bars(you looking at me ?)car theft and vandalism,old people dying from hypothermia,food that has been hanging around the freezer for about 3 years,people who don't smile, except when you fall over and break the odd leg or two on the ice,beaches that look like construction sites and you only get blue seas providing there is a chemical works outlet nearby,asylum seekers who get more money than me etc.etc.

I am home sick now.

you forgot to mention the city council that banned any advertising or promotion of christmas carol services in case any "offence" was caused to non-christians who inadvertently saw such a poster or notice.

england.......... the worlds madhouse.

, TRUE STORY! - I ruv tieland :o

Thank you very big. . :D

hee...hee been having a giggle about this the past few days. My little ones just sat their exams and one of the spelling words was "kangaroo" (had to be patriotic), anyway quite a few spelt it the way they pronounce it B)

Ive noticed 1 or 2 of you find offence at this thread by simply taking the most of the material the wrong way and perhaps a tad out of context.

I would just like to say, like i did towards the start of the thread, so that none of you get the wrong idea about this topic ........

The way the Thai have taken to English language, i would have to say, would be one of the fastest introductions of a new language into any country i have ever seen. I give a tonne of credit to that. So for future reference if someone takes offence... simply mai pen rai it or press alt and f4 together. :o

No offence is intended so there is no need for a nasty reply.... :D

Merry Xmas all B)

Guest IT Manager
One finds oneself nodding in a sense of concurrence with the general sense of this thread. There are times when one encounters a fairly distressing if not deplorable use of the language, not least on this pages! But I do begin to suspect that we ought to differentiate in a very real sense between the slovenly and unexcusable grammar from native English speakers and the very brave attempts made by our Thai friends. While of course they at times make errors that border on the amusing, one has only to contemplate ones own ability in the Thai language. Could we, if I dare suggest it, do any better? I can firmly state that both myself and the good lady wife (Mrs. Klonky) have found ourselves in quite profound states of miscomprehension due to our use of the wrong tone or word. Nonetheless, and not withstanding this, our Thai interlocutors always patiently tried to grasp the sinuous thread of our meagre communicative attempts. Could we not at least attempt the same? Just a thought!

Would that perhaps be inexcusable in your opinion?

Would that perhaps be inexcusable in your opinion?

Unfair IT...Hiram never makes a mistake ....except post sweet sherry. I will toss you for the privilege of banning him.