Bhavana Society's Dhamma Study Guide--level One

Mr. Farang

A Gift for Mr. Chownah,

See the attachment, from The Bhavana Society - the first Theravada forest monastery in the USA, established in West Virginia.

Introduction

Completed in December of 2003, this course of thirty lessons serves to introduce a novice layperson or a new resident at Bhavana Society to six main topics of Theravadan Buddhism:

1. The life of the Buddha (three lessons), pages 2-9;

2. A simple history of Theravadan Buddhism (one lesson), pages 10-11;

3. Samatha (concentration) Meditation (two lessons), pages 12-15;

4. Vipassana (insight) Meditation (two lessons), pages 16-19;

5. The Four Noble Truths (six lessons), pages 20-31;

6. The Noble Eightfold Path (sixteen lessons), pages 32-63;

Students of Theravadan Buddhism receiving this study guide are encouraged to

read through it lesson by lesson and to complete the lesson review questions in the space provided or in a separate notebook. Students are also encouraged to learn as many of the concepts and terms as is useful and practical to their study of the Dhamma.

This project was completed by the Bhavana Society Board of Directors serving in

2002 and 2003 in response to a request by the Venerable Bhante Henepola Gunaratana.

Contributors to the writing of this course include Bhante Yogavacara Rahula, Bhante Khemaratana, Athula Seneviratne, Carole Rogentine, Nick Rogentine, Chris O’Keefe, Walter Schwidetzsky, and Rob Sherwood.

dhammaStudy.pdf

Edited by Mr. Farang

A Gift for Mr. Chownah,

See the attachment, from The Bhavana Society - the first Theravada forest monastery in the USA,  established in West Virginia.

Introduction

Completed in December of 2003, this course of thirty lessons serves to introduce a novice layperson or a new resident at Bhavana Society to six main topics of Theravadan Buddhism:

1. The life of the Buddha (three lessons), pages 2-9;

2. A simple history of Theravadan Buddhism (one lesson), pages 10-11;

3. Samatha (concentration) Meditation (two lessons), pages 12-15;

4. Vipassana (insight) Meditation (two lessons), pages 16-19;

5. The Four Noble Truths (six lessons), pages 20-31;

6. The Noble Eightfold Path (sixteen lessons), pages 32-63;

Students of Theravadan Buddhism receiving this study guide are encouraged to

read through it lesson by lesson and to complete the lesson review questions in the space provided or in a separate notebook. Students are also encouraged to learn as many of the concepts and terms as is useful and practical to their study of the Dhamma.

This project was completed by the Bhavana Society Board of Directors serving in

2002 and 2003 in response to a request by the Venerable Bhante Henepola Gunaratana.

Contributors to the writing of this course include Bhante Yogavacara Rahula, Bhante Khemaratana, Athula Seneviratne, Carole Rogentine, Nick Rogentine, Chris O’Keefe, Walter Schwidetzsky, and Rob Sherwood.

Thanks for the link! I'm rapidly acquiring a library of Buddhist literature and commentary. I'm presently doing a lot of thinking on how to organize this stuff and how to keep myself happily studying without betting too scattered or overwhelmed. I find that I study best when I'm dealing with a particular topic or problem...I guess my mind is very analytical so having some topic to focus on gives my analytical side something firm to grip onto...I also plan to choose one of the longer expostions and read all the way through...this may take me a week or more since I do have many projects going on aside from my studies.

Thanks again,

Chownah

hey chowna,

that's more or less what i am doing this winter (off season for us); since i am autodidactic and have no access to formal studies here... if u want to set up a sort of curriculum i would love to follow loosely

i have no books etc all on the net at the moment,

i dont know where to start even... i dont mind someone else inventing the wheel and i borrow the ideas...

its a bit isolating to study on my own here in the holyland, hence the internet but there is not too many people that i can discuss things with except the new age types (boring :o )

i dont mean a study plan that must be followed time wise, but sort of : first this, than that, etc...

if u organize yourself, send me a list/or material to my email... i also have a very analytical mind (doesnt really shine thru on the net, but in real life, watch out) with a rather talmudic bent to it...

your autodidactic study works well - using words like that :D

Actually, if anyone is into it, the Nation (or is it Nations) online university offers structured courses and is free. It is Christian, but open to all and has some interesting courses including Buddhism.

:o

sorry, i wasnt showing off just stating a fact....

thanx for the tip, i've been looking for online unis for ages, now i get tons of emails to earn fake diplomas... i dont care about diplomas, they wont help improve my animal cage cleaning skills or get me a raise in my (non) salary....

bina

outside jerusalem

• 4 weeks later...

I have been to the Bhavana Society for several retreats, workshops, and celebrations (vesak, etc.). What a great place. Bhante G is an amazing and

inspiring monk and meditation teacher. Not to mention Bhante Rahula. Its

nice to see the diversity there as well, monks from US, UK, Japan, SL, Thailand,

theres even a monk originally from Kenya! Just a great place for meditation,

for being around great monks, for study, for community. Recommend it to

anybody.