Pulled Over At Police Check Point And Told To....

Richb2004v2

Thais DO expect farangs to be better than them so being respectable in dress is expected. So if confronted by a cop, especially an officer, which can happen any day, then one should be dressed to show respect and get respect otherwise it will upset. The beach is different.

My mrs won't let me out to town in shorts :huh:, says not respectable for farang.

Maybe she doesn't want you out in town with your knobbly knees showing :rolleyes:

Edited by stander

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's figure the copper, just couldn't imagine that there is money for a 1 + Mill Baht car... but no money for a shirt... :lol:

Its the Great Recession; I know guys have "lost their shirt" in the market because I see it every day.

Let's hope prosperity returns soon na :D

Thais DO expect farangs to be better than them so being respectable in dress is expected. So if confronted by a cop, especially an officer, which can happen any day, then one should be dressed to show respect and get respect otherwise it will upset. The beach is different.

My mrs won't let me out to town in shorts :huh:, says not respectable for farang.

Maybe she doesn't want you out in town with your knobbly knees showing :rolleyes:

The opposite, doesn't want the ladies to see my beautiful varicose vein free white legs, a rare sight. :lol:

The United States of America for one, driving w/out proof of a valid licence is completely illegal, what...you think if you get pulled over and just tell the cops "I have a license but not with me, nor do I have any picture ID but my name is....."

Do you really think the cops are going to do all the work to help YOU prove who you really say you are? No, you go to jail untill you get it sorted out and are still charged with driving w/out proof of a license.

Please tell me how it works in your home country.

I understand that driving without a license is illegal - many things are illegal in this world. Doesn't mean that it will result in going behind bars. If you simply left your license at home, i would imagine a far more likely scenario is the police staying with you whilst you get a family member or friend to bring it along. Why waste all the time going through the paperwork involved in locking someone up when you don't need to? Obviously if it turns out you actually don't have a license, or as in the new circumstances you just added in the above, you have no means of ID, then things could become more complicated. Locking people up though is an extreme course of action that i'm sure police prefer to avoid for a fairly frivolous matter such as this. Well that's certainly the way it works in the UK. Perhaps the US is different and the police take every chance they can to lock people up.

The cop was right; don't be a slob, put something on! Even the lowest of the low in Muang Thai at least wear a vest when driving. If you're hot, turn down the aircon or just stay at home if you don't like covering yourself up. Although you were at least in your car, it pisses me off when farang amble around shirtless away from the beach - even if you have no self respect, at least have some respect for the natives and your family. Aren't you at least embarrassed for them?

I don't like this practice of not being clothed very much either, but if it's in the privacy of your own car, why should it be anybody else's business? Step out the car and it's a different matter.

Plus, do you think the policeman would have reacted the same way to a Thai committing the same "offence"? You are right, it is not common for Thais to do so, but i have certainly seen it before, and i've yet to see a Thai being apprehended for it.

Privacy: Only if the windows would be black. If it can be seen from outside it isn't privacy anymore

I agree they probably do expect more from us, but they don't just pick on foreigners. My old girlfriend got sent home when she showed up in a pair of jeans and a T shirt to apply for her passport.

I agree they probably do expect more from us, but they don't just pick on foreigners. My old girlfriend got sent home when she showed up in a pair of jeans and a T shirt to apply for her passport.

Yep, 90 days report.... no shoes, no shirt = no service!

Wow, that is a bit strong. :huh:

But l have noticed that when the mrs and l go to government place they always give you the visual once over. Must admit l sometimes wear a pink shirt with the Kings crest on it and always get first class treatment. What's the saying, every little helps. :D

I agree. Rich thought he would be smart & tell everyone how stupid the poilce are when in fact he makes himself look like a knob. Well done mate !!!!!!! Own goal.

That's a BINGO!

Just asked the mrs what she thought of this story, she said '' The farang buffalo, not good, wife should know better ''. :D

I don't like this practice of not being clothed very much either, but if it's in the privacy of your own car, why should it be anybody else's business? Step out the car and it's a different matter.

Plus, do you think the policeman would have reacted the same way to a Thai committing the same "offence"? You are right, it is not common for Thais to do so, but i have certainly seen it before, and i've yet to see a Thai being apprehended for it.

Privacy: Only if the windows would be black. If it can be seen from outside it isn't privacy anymore

True, blackened glass would help, although i still feel that anyone who gets offended by whatever clothes another person wears or doesn't wear, when that person is sitting inside their own car, probably could find something in the world more worthwhile being offended about. Some people are far too busy worrying about what other people are doing and whether it passes their standards than i think is healthy. Bit like all the people who get offended at the sight of an old man dating a young girl. For goodness sake! Leave other people who are doing you no harm alone. So many do-good busy-bodies around.

I see Thais riding their motorcycle wearing only shorts at least twice a week. I've seen them wave to police friends, go into shops, and eat in restaurants. I can't say that i've seen them driving due to tinted windows. I suggest two peanut shells and a length of string: hey presto, your driving bikini.

I wouldn't dream of walking around shirtless or even wander around with a football top, and only occasionally a vest. I do however sometimes drive short distances shirtless if I am a little hot and don't want to put my clean shirt on top of a sweaty body. I put the shirt on once I've cooled down via the car AC, after ten or fifteen minutes. Also I am in no way fat. I work out three times a week and run 30-50km per week. And I'm probably younger than most of you. However I don't see that my physic really matters. Even if fat the absence of a T-shirt is unlikely to effect my driving. Anyway I guess we can now confirm there are two laws actually upheld in Thailand, driving while shirtless and Les Majeste. :D Has anyone been stopped for anything more ridiculous?

You are the only one who thinks its ridiculous, we all think YOU are ridiculous, and offensive. Wear a dam_n shirt!

:thumbsup:

... or get a driver to cool down the car, for ten minutes, before you get in!

If you look anything like dear Victor then my vote is with the police, you might scare those kids on the motorbike, wear a hat as well.

Especially if he also has unsightly man-boobs. Enough to scare the horses too.

:rolleyes:

It’s illegal to drive a car in Thailand if you’re not wearing a shirt

It’s against the law to leave your house in Thailand if you’re not wearing underwear

:whistling:

I hope not I often go out comando, when I pick my g/f up from work in the evening.

jb1

Yes he should wear a shirt whilst driving the car and the older you get the more reasons to do so (even if you are slim and dont have a pair of man boobs) for me its part of growing up and maturity.

Once when walking up Shukumvit I fell in line behind a shirtless wide vehicle the smell was overpowering. When I looked down on his calf he had a football tatoo from my home town, I felt ashamed to be from the same town as him. He was also drinking a can of Singha this was 10:30 in the morning! takes all.

What a headline; "Fat (most likely) white guy driving a car in a foreign country without a license is told by cops he should wear a shirt"

You are lucky you are in Thailand, in most places you would be looking at the walls of a jail cell while you sorted out your driving w/out a licence problem; a somewhat serious offense in most countries. B)

In most places you get put in jail for not having your driving license on you whilst driving?! Really? Care to name a few of these "most places"?

Well, it is certainly an offense in the United States. You are always supposed to have your license and registration. You might not be going to jail, but is certainly worth a high fine. If it was discovered you did not have your license because you did something else that was an offense you just might end up in jail while you explained it.

Well, it is certainly an offense in the United States. You are always supposed to have your license and registration. You might not be going to jail, but is certainly worth a high fine. If it was discovered you did not have your license because you did something else that was an offense you just might end up in jail while you explained it.

I like watching that " COPS " show.

How many meth, crack and coke dealers and users could avoid a world of shit by simply making sure all the lights on their cars are working. :lol: