Pulled Over At Police Check Point And Told To....

Richb2004v2

For only the second time in over seven years I got stopped by the police at a check point today. The guy that delt with me looked like the top man there as he had more tassels and bits of crap attached to his uniform. When I wound the window down he spoke to me and afterwards my wife informed me that he was asking me why I had no T-shirt or shirt on and that I should wear one whilst driving. I thought he may be joking so said nothing. Then he asked for my license which I didn't have on me. After a discussion with my wife he told me in half decent English 'you wear T-shirt, shirt, when you drive car. Next time wear shirt :angry: '. I couldn't believe it! I had my seat belt on as did my wife, and the kids were both in car seats. What has wearing a T-shirt got to do with anything :blink: . Maybe there is some explanation that I am missing. A couple of hundred yards down the road were kids riding motorcycles at full pelt, four up without helmets! Maybe he was just practicing his English or couldn't think of anything else to say. Strange anyway. :D

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah, it was a set-up caused by someone on Thaivisa for complaining about Thailand so much. :lol:

What has safety got to do about following strange laws? Speed, change lanes erratically, drive on the wrong side of the road, pass on corners, Dangerous drive all you want, but fer gawd's sake wear a shirt while doing it. :D

Unrelated to you specifically, but related to "showing skin", I was in Samui the other week and the wife and I had stopped to take some photos. A few moments lager, a scooter pulled up, a man (wearing only shorts) and woman (in a g-string string bikini) jump off and start walking around taking photos. There was absolutely nothing left to the imagination. Not from my angle anyway!

About your story, I can only imagine he was having a bad day, or as you say, wanted to practice his Tingrish..

I initially though this was going to be about being on a scooter, hence why I opened it (and because the g-string just came to mind when I read your topic title). But really, what about everyone that doesnt wear a shirt when riding? I mean, that would have to be more cause for concern! (skin cancer mainly - but has no bearing on riding/driving ability). Or maybe he was threatened by your apparent trim, taut and terrific abs and pecks!

The cop was right; don't be a slob, put something on! Even the lowest of the low in Muang Thai at least wear a vest when driving. If you're hot, turn down the aircon or just stay at home if you don't like covering yourself up. Although you were at least in your car, it pisses me off when farang amble around shirtless away from the beach - even if you have no self respect, at least have some respect for the natives and your family. Aren't you at least embarrassed for them?

The cop was right; don't be a slob, put something on! Even the lowest of the low in Muang Thai at least wear a vest when driving. If you're hot, turn down the aircon or just stay at home if you don't like covering yourself up. Although you were at least in your car, it pisses me off when farang amble around shirtless away from the beach - even if you have no self respect, at least have some respect for the natives and your family. Aren't you at least embarrassed for them?

Yes a bit of common courtesy to the locals

I don't like this practice of not being clothed very much either, but if it's in the privacy of your own car, why should it be anybody else's business? Step out the car and it's a different matter.

Plus, do you think the policeman would have reacted the same way to a Thai committing the same "offence"? You are right, it is not common for Thais to do so, but i have certainly seen it before, and i've yet to see a Thai being apprehended for it.

What a headline; "Fat (most likely) white guy driving a car in a foreign country without a license is told by cops he should wear a shirt"

You are lucky you are in Thailand, in most places you would be looking at the walls of a jail cell while you sorted out your driving w/out a licence problem; a somewhat serious offense in most countries. B)

What a headline; "Fat (most likely) white guy driving a car in a foreign country without a license is told by cops he should wear a shirt"

You are lucky you are in Thailand, in most places you would be looking at the walls of a jail cell while you sorted out your driving w/out a licence problem; a somewhat serious offense in most countries. B)

In most places you get put in jail for not having your driving license on you whilst driving?! Really? Care to name a few of these "most places"?

I always wear a t-shirt when i go out. There are times i do walk around without one in my home and chase my dogs. But i see plenty of Thais T shirt less here in the village so i don't think its a big problem. Especially my neighbor.

Anyway in Holland it was also quite normal to be shirt less around the house but not inside cars. I inmagine some surely did it but i doubt they got pulled over. Here i heard its not good to do plus i dont know why i would and if i would id be freezing my ass off because of the aircon.

Just be sensible in this country dont go against local things.

In most places you get put in jail for not having your driving license on you whilst driving?! Really? Care to name a few of these "most places"?

Certainly not here in the UK, worst case you'll get what's called a 'producer' a notice to report to a police station within a certain time frame (24 hours? not sure) and show licence and insurance, but this has been phased out due to the fact that all your information can be seen by the police just by running your number plate details through their computer system. You don't need to show them anything.

The policeman was perfectly correct.It's not an excuse to say rural Thais ride around shirtless on motorbikes (I have never seen a shirtless Thai ride around in a car).

It's symptomatic of a large number of generally lower class foreigners who ,while mainly failures by the standards of their original countries ,have more money than the average rural Thai.They talk about their Thai "families" but have not the remotest understanding of Thai culture except the bar world where in general they met their partners.I have met countless rural school teachers, policeman and civil servants who while having little money make an enormous effort to look presentable, clean and tidy.Of course a fat vulgar half naked foreigner driving a car with his "family" is going to offend and upset.It's mainly a question of good manners , a point I would have thought even these knuckle dragging proles might understand - apparently not.

The policeman was perfectly correct.It's not an excuse to say rural Thais ride around shirtless on motorbikes (I have never seen a shirtless Thai ride around in a car).

It's symptomatic of a large number of generally lower class foreigners who ,while mainly failures by the standards of their original countries ,have more money than the average rural Thai.They talk about their Thai "families" but have not the remotest understanding of Thai culture except the bar world where in general they met their partners.I have met countless rural school teachers, policeman and civil servants who while having little money make an enormous effort to look presentable, clean and tidy.Of course a fat vulgar half naked foreigner driving a car with his "family" is going to offend and upset.It's mainly a question of good manners , a point I would have thought even these knuckle dragging proles might understand - apparently not.

Bang --- Wham --- Knee to the groin

Don't pull any punches when it comes to showing contempt for foreign people that don't live up to your standards, do you?

Sure there are low-lives here, but it sounds like they REALLY get to you. I try to "live and let live", but I think we all understand the embarrassment and frustration of seeing some total assh*le, who in the eyes of many Thais is a typical representation of all white foreigners. They make us all look bad.

I was in Bangkok a few years ago to get a new passport. While I was walking to the embassy, I saw some white-skinned dread-locked young guy wearing a dashiki and rambling along the sidewalk barefooted. I had to wonder what was going through this person's mind and what his cultural background was. Of course, about ten minutes after I arrived at the embassy, this guy wanders in. He was a fellow countryman (but only in birthplace -- not in any other way). He proceeded to request a new passport and became quite mouthy with the Thai woman who was working there because she had to tell him he was missing some required documents. I was tempted to help the young Thai woman out by Bang --- Wham --- Knee to the groin, but decide to keep my cool because we need to live and let live.

OK,

it is ILLEGAL to drive a car without a shirt in Thailand. Strange as it may sound to you, it is the law. So next time please familiarize yourself with the law before crying on a forum.

Just like it is LEGAL here for motorcycles to use the sidewalk / footpath, don't kick or swear at them.

One of many references (don't feel like pulling out law books)

http://www.lawstude.net/2010/11/all-thaid-up.html

It's obviously discrimination against males. I was in a Jomtien bar and there is a sign saying "No shirt no service". Under that portion of the sign is another notice saying, "Women, no shirt free drinks".

I wouldn't dream of walking around shirtless or even wander around with a football top, and only occasionally a vest. I do however sometimes drive short distances shirtless if I am a little hot and don't want to put my clean shirt on top of a sweaty body. I put the shirt on once I've cooled down via the car AC, after ten or fifteen minutes. Also I am in no way fat. I work out three times a week and run 30-50km per week. And I'm probably younger than most of you. However I don't see that my physic really matters. Even if fat the absence of a T-shirt is unlikely to effect my driving. Anyway I guess we can now confirm there are two laws actually upheld in Thailand, driving while shirtless and Les Majeste. :D Has anyone been stopped for anything more ridiculous?