Human Rights NGOs To Thai Government: Do Not Repeat History!

webfact

Human Rights NGOs to Thai government: Do not repeat history!

By The Nation

Local and international human rights groups are on Tuesday warned about possible widespread abuses of vulnerable people if the authorities go through with a plan to round up suspected drug users through out the country.

International Harm Reduction Association and Thai AIDS Treatment Action Group (TTAG) were reacting to a recent announcement by the Ministry of the Interior about a plan to force thousands of people suspected of using drugs into detention centres and keep their names on official registries for future monitoring.

The plan is particularly worrying in light of the government's "War on Drug" in 2003 that claimed about 2,500 lives. The three-month campaign that also saw thousands of people placed in detention with virtually legal protection.

The then government insisted that the killings were carried by crime syndicates on drug users and dealers for fear that they would be implicated. Although few believe the then official line, little has been done to bring to light as to what actually had happened during that three-month controversial campaign. Evidences and testimonies documented in various reports implicated the authorities for these extra-judiciary killings.

In a letter to the Thai government, the organisations wrote, "These plans for mass detention and forced treatment raise considerable human rights concerns, especially given Thailand's history of nationwide punitive and ineffective anti-drug campaigns…there is no way for the Government to implement a campaign to forcibly 'treat' tens of thousands of people who use drugs without widespread human rights abuses taking place."

"This crackdown flies in the face of Thailand's 2002 policy, which states that people who use drugs should be treated as patients, not criminals. There is nothing therapeutic about rounding up thousands of drug users and forcing them into military boot camps that fail to provide appropriate services and support," said Paisan Suwannawong, TTAG's Executive Director and co-founder of the Thai Drug Users' Network (TDN).

Under the current proposals, to be implemented during the course of this week, 'occasional' users will be detained for 7 days; 'continuous' users for 14 days; and those showing early signs of drug dependence will be interned for 45 days, according to a statement released by the groups.

"There are many reasons to be worried," said Rick Lines, Executive Director of the International Harm Reduction Association. "Due process guarantees have been thrown out the window. What is the legal basis for mass detention?"

"What is more, many who do not need any form of drug dependence treatment will be herded into detention centres. Where is the clinical assessment?" continued Lines.

It is expected that temporary detention centres will be established for the campaign.

"We are profoundly concerned that these centres may be run by public security forces such as the police or paramilitary civil-defence organisations," said Karyn Kaplan, TTAG's Policy Director. "It is dangerous and extremely disheartening given recent progress made in the country on injecting drug use and HIV. This can only serve to undermine those efforts in the long term. The immediate concern, however is for the safety and wellbeing of those targeted."

The organisations urged the government to focus its resources and attention on the implementation of the national harm reduction strategy, adopted in late 2010, in particular the development of evidence based and effective models of drug dependence treatment.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-22

Does anyone in the Thai government ever think or use their brains in any way? This kind of third world barbarian mentality is so out of step with the modern world. Who do they want to be? North Korea? Someone really needs to explain the definition of a democracy to them. People actually have some civil and human rights in a real democracy. More evidence of the sham being perpetrated on the Thai poeple. I laugh every time I see a reporter referring to Thailand as a democracy. They are utterly clueless.

Does anyone in the Thai government ever think or use their brains in any way? This kind of third world barbarian mentality is so out of step with the modern world. Who do they want to be? North Korea? Someone really needs to explain the definition of a democracy to them. People actually have some civil and human rights in a real democracy. More evidence of the sham being perpetrated on the Thai poeple. I laugh every time I see a reporter referring to Thailand as a democracy. They are utterly clueless.

wisdom again.

"a plan [by the Ministry of the Interior] to force thousands of people suspected of using drugs into detention centres and keep their names on official registries for future monitoring."

Does this mean that all tourists addicted to the drug "alcohol" can expect to be rounded up any time soon and hustled off to a boot camp?

74910997.ETv8XSk5.stIMG_5881.jpg

And what about all the Thai dogs who go around badgering and harassing good citizens after a rough night out?

2597838085_f85cf761bc.jpg

Will they be rounded up as well?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

I could not agree more.

Perhaps if people in "lofty" positions really were qualified to hold said positions there would be a great "weeding out" process which might result in some evidence of intelligence. Currently nepotism and position buying prevail resulting in utterly stupid plans, statements, and actions.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

I could not agree more.

Perhaps if people in "lofty" positions really were qualified to hold said positions there would be a great "weeding out" process which might result in some evidence of intelligence. Currently nepotism and position buying prevail resulting in utterly stupid plans, statements, and actions.

The forerunner of stupid plans is the stupid people who think them up.

We have an apparent disconnect in the purpose of incrimination.

Incrimination is not for the benefit of the criminal,

it is instead for the peace and order of society.

The criminal forfeited his claim to a nice sensible life

at the moment he committed the crime.

Prosecution is a deterrent for anyone who might think of a crime.

If they convince themselves that they won't be caught,

then they move forward with it.

If they are sufficiently afraid of the penalty,

they will think about something else.

If not enough people are heeding the deterrent,

then the deterrent is not severe enough.

Note that Malaysia and Singapore have zero drug problem.

Their deterrent is sufficiently severe.

Do people in Singapore feel that they are unfairly restricted by not being able to abuse their bodies?

They rather take pride in the fact that they are a clean healthy society.

Secondly, for the associates of the one caught and prosecuted,

they have solid evidence to take heed the next time they have a similar bad idea.

There will always be those who are just unable to think about consequences.

Those consequences still come to them even if they didn't think about it.

No convict ever failed to understand that

it would be better now

that he hadn't done it then,

but cut the regrets....think think think instead of mindlessly acting.

Does anyone want to be near a person who can't calculate the costs?

Detaining and monitoring drug users

is Not such a bad thing.

if you consider the chaos that drug users cause in society.

I see complete common sense in causing inconvenience

for people who themselves trouble good people.

For any dear hearts who want to coddle a druggie, by all means, have at it.

They are out there for you personally to go above and beyond

to seek them out and be their friend.

Don't talk about how society should offer them allowance and assistance,

Put your actions out first...go help that needful person right now...Today!

You will find that they are not desirable to associate with in any way.

If you have close association with a criminal,

you yourself are going to want them locked away.

But please Oh Please,

don't burden society with your poorly thought out ideas on what's fair and what's cruel.

To clearly differentiate,

I am in favor of the underdog,

I stand up for the disenfranchised,

I cheer and encourage the folks who somehow got a poor situation placed on them,

but to pretend that drug use is a medical condition

is just not shooting straight.

If I have a beef with life in Thailand from a Foreigner's outside perspective,

it is the lack of consequences.

Anyone who is caught in clear wrongdoing is provided excuses,

not excuses they make up,

excuses by bystanders...all the possible reasons this person is not actually a criminal

All the tender sentiments why a bad egg isn't actually at fault.

Reasons why a corrupt official caught red handed is not brought to retribution or penalty.

It's all swept under the rug so that everyone can continue happy thoughts.

Second Point...I'm a foreigner....I don't do Politics in someone else's country.

But does it seem strange that the present Abhisit administration is somehow held to the fire,

for the extra-judicial killings of drug handlers during the Taksin administration?

Can someone please clarify how that?

A Journalist wrote that and an Editor published it?

Really?

Let's do a down to the village analogy.

A Wife is furious at her Husband

over something she remembers that her old boyfriend did.

Does anyone think she's thinking clearly?

Where was Mr. Abhisit when Taksin was killing druggies?

Does anyone thing this writer is thinking clearly?

One last item...

If I was to look for guidance on public policy,

an NGO would be the last place I'd look.

I live in Mae Sot where the Burma Refugee problem is front burner.

I see a contrived problem and a constant stream of contrived solutions,

as this NGO competes with that NGO over a limited number of helpless Burmese.

The Burmese aren't as stupid as they may at first appear,

they know it's better to run to Thailand for the freebies

and they soon figure out that looking pathetic is the path to ease.

It's not that Foreigners don't know the facts of the situation,

It's that their own reason for existence in quaint quiet safe little Mae Sot

would cease to play to their donors

If the refugee problem was defined as opportunistic and economic,

rather than truly from a point of danger.

There are some Foreigners who put themselves at personal risk,

to go to the truly bad areas of Burma,

in order to help people truly in need.

To them my hat is off.

I can't say enough good in their behalf.

But for these who build a career, enhance a resume,

perpetuate the myth of desperation

No thanks.

We have an apparent disconnect in the purpose of incrimination.

Incrimination is not for the benefit of the criminal,

it is instead for the peace and order of society.

The criminal forfeited his claim to a nice sensible life

at the moment he committed the crime.

Prosecution is a deterrent for anyone who might think of a crime.

If they convince themselves that they won't be caught,

then they move forward with it.

If they are sufficiently afraid of the penalty,

they will think about something else.

If not enough people are heeding the deterrent,

then the deterrent is not severe enough.

Note that Malaysia and Singapore have zero drug problem.

Their deterrent is sufficiently severe.

Do people in Singapore feel that they are unfairly restricted by not being able to abuse their bodies?

They rather take pride in the fact that they are a clean healthy society.

Secondly, for the associates of the one caught and prosecuted,

they have solid evidence to take heed the next time they have a similar bad idea.

There will always be those who are just unable to think about consequences.

Those consequences still come to them even if they didn't think about it.

No convict ever failed to understand that

it would be better now

that he hadn't done it then,

but cut the regrets....think think think instead of mindlessly acting.

Does anyone want to be near a person who can't calculate the costs?

Detaining and monitoring drug users

is Not such a bad thing.

if you consider the chaos that drug users cause in society.

I see complete common sense in causing inconvenience

for people who themselves trouble good people.

For any dear hearts who want to coddle a druggie, by all means, have at it.

They are out there for you personally to go above and beyond

to seek them out and be their friend.

Don't talk about how society should offer them allowance and assistance,

Put your actions out first...go help that needful person right now...Today!

You will find that they are not desirable to associate with in any way.

If you have close association with a criminal,

you yourself are going to want them locked away.

But please Oh Please,

don't burden society with your poorly thought out ideas on what's fair and what's cruel.

To clearly differentiate,

I am in favor of the underdog,

I stand up for the disenfranchised,

I cheer and encourage the folks who somehow got a poor situation placed on them,

but to pretend that drug use is a medical condition

is just not shooting straight.

If I have a beef with life in Thailand from a Foreigner's outside perspective,

it is the lack of consequences.

Anyone who is caught in clear wrongdoing is provided excuses,

not excuses they make up,

excuses by bystanders...all the possible reasons this person is not actually a criminal

All the tender sentiments why a bad egg isn't actually at fault.

Reasons why a corrupt official caught red handed is not brought to retribution or penalty.

It's all swept under the rug so that everyone can continue happy thoughts.

Second Point...I'm a foreigner....I don't do Politics in someone else's country.

But does it seem strange that the present Abhisit administration is somehow held to the fire,

for the extra-judicial killings of drug handlers during the Taksin administration?

Can someone please clarify how that?

A Journalist wrote that and an Editor published it?

Really?

Let's do a down to the village analogy.

A Wife is furious at her Husband

over something she remembers that her old boyfriend did.

Does anyone think she's thinking clearly?

Where was Mr. Abhisit when Taksin was killing druggies?

Does anyone thing this writer is thinking clearly?

One last item...

If I was to look for guidance on public policy,

an NGO would be the last place I'd look.

I live in Mae Sot where the Burma Refugee problem is front burner.

I see a contrived problem and a constant stream of contrived solutions,

as this NGO competes with that NGO over a limited number of helpless Burmese.

The Burmese aren't as stupid as they may at first appear,

they know it's better to run to Thailand for the freebies

and they soon figure out that looking pathetic is the path to ease.

It's not that Foreigners don't know the facts of the situation,

It's that their own reason for existence in quaint quiet safe little Mae Sot

would cease to play to their donors

If the refugee problem was defined as opportunistic and economic,

rather than truly from a point of danger.

There are some Foreigners who put themselves at personal risk,

to go to the truly bad areas of Burma,

in order to help people truly in need.

To them my hat is off.

I can't say enough good in their behalf.

But for these who build a career, enhance a resume,

perpetuate the myth of desperation

No thanks.

I disagree with you telling people not to reach out and be friends with people that are drug users, have you every thought that maybe that is what they need, friends to help them stop their dependence on drugs, for them to know that people love and care for them. A closed heart and lack of love contributes to drug use. Unlike you I have many years personal experience both as a user and as a helper to others.

Excellent post, WatersEdge.

Just possibly a ruined life, as well as a short one, can be avoided with a little 'tough love,' therapy, and enforced abstinence:

Under the current proposals,'occasional' users will be detained for 7 days; 'continuous' users for 14 days; and those showing early signs of drug dependence will be interned for 45 days, according to a statement released by the groups.

Why is 'human rights' always looked at from the individual standpoint -- and not the groups' right to be free of societal dregs...?

Excellent post, WatersEdge.

Just possibly a ruined life, as well as a short one, can be avoided with a little 'tough love,' therapy, and enforced abstinence:

Under the current proposals,'occasional' users will be detained for 7 days; 'continuous' users for 14 days; and those showing early signs of drug dependence will be interned for 45 days, according to a statement released by the groups.

Why is 'human rights' always looked at from the individual standpoint -- and not the groups' right to be free of societal dregs...?

So much for the drug users. What about the alcohol abuser? The health and social problems surrounding the millions of alcoholics around the world far outweigh the damage done by drug users. Alcohol legal and cannabis not? Why?

How many cannabis users go home and beat their wives? You can't answer because there is no or little documentation about this. How many alcoholics do the same? Just go to any hospital outpatients on a Fr/Sat/Sun night in the UK to observe the damage. Talk to any policeman/fireman/nurse about those same nights in britain's City centres. Then you'll see the damage that alcohol confers on our society. Don't talk to me about drug users being 'societal dregs' without looking at the wider use of societal drugs - ie alcohol. Blinkin' hypocrisy again.

"a plan [by the Ministry of the Interior] to force thousands of people suspected of using drugs into detention centres and keep their names on official registries for future monitoring."

Does this mean that all tourists addicted to the drug "alcohol" can expect to be rounded up any time soon and hustled off to a boot camp?

And what about all the Thai dogs who go around badgering and harassing good citizens after a rough night out?

They bloody well should be. The dogs that is?

To the posts of WatersEdge and JimGant...

I think the problem most people have with this plan is that it's poorly thought out and seems like, at best, 1) to be a haphazard attempt by politicians to appear to be tackling the "drug problem" and, at worst, 2) a pretext to detain people that the don't like.

As for #1) What's the point of choosing 7, 14 and 45 days based upon suspected usage levels? How will the authorities determine the usage level? Most importantly, how are the authorities determining if someone is a "suspected drug user"?

As for #2) The Drug War last decade seemed like an excuse to get rid of opponents without the need for due process. I think anyone living in Thailand during that time can remember how that was abused.

Doesn't this new plan of throwing "suspected drug users" into concentration camps seem like it has a high potential for misuse?

The numbers of Soi dogs in Thailand reach astronomical levels. I have seen urban decay up close in South America and Thailand really takes the cake. Stray dogs are a clear sign of urban decay at city management level. Animal control is as effective as the Traffic Police in Bangkok. Not long ago, a lady who owned a shop in Chatuchak and sold animals, mainly dogs, died from rabies. She bought puppies in Chinag Mai, brought them to Bangkok and a few weeks later one of them bit her and she shrugged it off. The dog had rabies and she ignored the usual and basic treatment in such a case. The fact that she was one of the higher ups in Animal Control in Bangkok, only comes to evidence that most positions in all departments and ministries are not granted on merit.

Thailand is a reactive country. The government needs to be in the midst of a crisis to start thinking about patching it up only to continue smiling and wadiing. It will be a long time before Thailand becomes proactive and follows, even if loosely, the Singaporean model, that would be a nice change. Dogs in Thailand can and will become a social threat when there is a citywide outbreak of rabies. Only then, the country and government will react to stamp it. Then again, there will be the many compassionate souls who will want to protect the four legged threats ruling the streets from being neutralized in spite of the froth dripping from the snouts. Why there is not an Animal Control presence in a city of 11 million people? Anybody has the answer?

Speaking of clueless What in fact is Thailand?

Please no opinions.:jap:

<br>
<br>We have an apparent disconnect in <b>the purpose of incrimination.</b><br>Incrimination is not for the benefit of the criminal, <br>it is instead for the peace and order of society.<br>The criminal forfeited his claim to a nice sensible life <br>at the moment he committed the crime.<br><br>Prosecution is a deterrent for anyone who might think of a crime.<br>If they convince themselves that they won't be caught, <br>then they move forward with it.<br>If they are sufficiently afraid of the penalty, <br>they will think about something else.<br>If not enough people are heeding the deterrent, <br>then the deterrent is not severe enough.<br><br>Note that Malaysia and Singapore have zero drug problem.<br>Their deterrent is sufficiently severe.<br>Do people in Singapore feel that they are unfairly restricted by not being able to abuse their bodies?<br>They rather take pride in the fact that they are a clean healthy society.<br><br>Secondly, for the associates of the one caught and prosecuted, <br>they have solid evidence to take heed the next time they have a similar bad idea.<br><br>There will always be those who are just unable to think about consequences.<br>Those consequences still come to them even if they didn't think about it.<br>No convict ever failed to understand that <br>it would be better now<br>that he hadn't done it then, <br><b>but cut the regrets.</b>...think think think instead of mindlessly acting.<br>Does anyone want to be near a person who can't calculate the costs?<br><br>Detaining and monitoring drug users <br>is <b>Not such a bad thing.</b><br> if you consider the chaos that drug users cause in society.<br>I see complete common sense in causing inconvenience <br>for people who themselves trouble good people.<br><br>For any dear hearts who want to coddle a druggie, by all means, have at it.<br>They are out there for you <b>personally </b>to go above and beyond<br>to seek them out and be their friend.<br>Don't talk about how <b>society </b>should offer them allowance and assistance, <br>Put your actions out first...go help that needful person right now...<b>Today!</b><br>You will find that they are not desirable to associate with in any way.<br>If you have close association with a criminal, <br>you yourself are going to want them locked away.<br><br>But please Oh Please, <br>don't burden society with your poorly thought out ideas on what's fair and what's cruel.<br><br>To clearly differentiate, <br>I am in favor of the underdog, <br>I stand up for the disenfranchised,<br>I cheer and encourage the folks who somehow got a poor situation placed on them, <br>but to pretend that drug use is a medical condition <br>is just not shooting straight.<br><br>If I have a beef with life in Thailand from a Foreigner's outside perspective,<br>it is the <b>lack of consequences.</b><br>Anyone who is caught  in clear wrongdoing is provided excuses, <br>not excuses they make up, <br>excuses by bystanders...all the possible reasons this person is not actually a criminal<br>All the tender sentiments why a bad egg isn't actually at fault.<br>Reasons why a corrupt official caught red handed is not brought to retribution or penalty.<br>It's all swept under the rug so that everyone can continue happy thoughts.<br><br><b>Second Point</b>...I'm a foreigner...<b>.I don't do Politics </b>in someone else's country.<br>But does it seem strange that the present <b>Abhisit</b> administration is somehow held to the fire, <br>for the extra-judicial killings of drug handlers during the <b>Taksin</b> administration?<br>Can someone please clarify how that?<br>A Journalist wrote that and an Editor published it? <br>Really?<br><br>Let's do a down to the village analogy.<br>A Wife is furious at her Husband <br>over something she remembers that her old boyfriend did.<br>Does anyone think she's thinking clearly?<br><br>Where was Mr. Abhisit when Taksin was killing druggies?<br>Does anyone thing this writer is thinking clearly?<br><br>One last item...<br>If I was to look for guidance on public policy, <br>an NGO would be the last place I'd look.<br>I live in Mae Sot where the Burma Refugee problem is front burner.<br>I see <b>a contrived problem</b> and a constant stream of contrived solutions, <br>as this NGO competes with that NGO over a limited number of helpless Burmese.<br>The Burmese aren't as stupid as they may at first appear, <br>they know it's better to run to Thailand for the freebies<br>and they soon figure out that looking pathetic is the path to ease.<br><br>It's not that Foreigners don't know the facts of the situation, <br>It's that their own reason for existence in quaint quiet safe little Mae Sot<br>would cease to play to their donors<br>If the refugee problem was defined as opportunistic and economic, <br>rather than truly from a point of danger.<br><br>There are some Foreigners who put themselves at personal risk, <br>to go to the truly bad areas of Burma, <br>in order to help people truly in need.<br>To them my hat is off.<br>I can't say enough good in their behalf.<br>But for these who build a career, enhance a resume, <br>perpetuate the myth of desperation<br>No thanks.<br>
<br><br>I disagree with you telling people not to reach out and be friends with people that are drug users, have you every thought that maybe that is what they need, friends to help them stop their dependence on drugs, for them to know that people love and care for them. A closed heart and lack of love contributes to drug use. Unlike you I have many years personal experience both as a user and as a helper to others.<br>
<br><br>

You maybe missed this line

For any dear hearts who want to coddle a druggie, by all means, have at it. They are out there for you personally to go above and beyond to seek them out and be their friend."

Like you I have a history on both sides of the fence. When I was using I would eat people like you alive. When I was done I needed help. I did not need any one to coddle me.

Thank God the right people were there for me. They made it clear that if I wanted to use that was my business and it was OK with them. If I truly wanted to stop they would be there to help me in any way they could. This did not mean they were going to give me money pay my bills get my wife to come back or any thing other than help me to work on my self.

I help people today who truly want to stop. I say truly because I wanted to many many times stop but there was always the thought that it would be a temporary thing.

Now that I have that out of my system. I can honestly say they are wasting there time. The only country that has had any success is Portugal and they legalized a lot of using. Surprisingly the rate of drug and alcohol problems went down. I remember many years ago reading a article that said Heron addiction was a three part addiction. One part was a addiction to the drug another part was a addiction to the needle and the last part was a addiction to the life style. For myself I view alcohol as a drug. To drop one drug and pick up another drug or alcohol is like changing seats on the Titanic. Like my brother said you can help them to stop using but getting the street out of them is a long process.

Edited by jayjay0

The numbers of Soi dogs in Thailand reach astronomical levels. I have seen urban decay up close in South America and Thailand really takes the cake. Stray dogs are a clear sign of urban decay at city management level. Animal control is as effective as the Traffic Police in Bangkok. Not long ago, a lady who owned a shop in Chatuchak and sold animals, mainly dogs, died from rabies. She bought puppies in Chinag Mai, brought them to Bangkok and a few weeks later one of them bit her and she shrugged it off. The dog had rabies and she ignored the usual and basic treatment in such a case. The fact that she was one of the higher ups in Animal Control in Bangkok, only comes to evidence that most positions in all departments and ministries are not granted on merit.

Thailand is a reactive country. The government needs to be in the midst of a crisis to start thinking about patching it up only to continue smiling and wadiing. It will be a long time before Thailand becomes proactive and follows, even if loosely, the Singaporean model, that would be a nice change. Dogs in Thailand can and will become a social threat when there is a citywide outbreak of rabies. Only then, the country and government will react to stamp it. Then again, there will be the many compassionate souls who will want to protect the four legged threats ruling the streets from being neutralized in spite of the froth dripping from the snouts. Why there is not an Animal Control presence in a city of 11 million people? Anybody has the answer?

My suspicion for there not being adequate animal control is religious based. How many people here "profess" being Buddhist but whose actions are minimal reflections of following the wonderful teachings. How many of the corrupt say " I'm Buddhist" but still steal, cheat, lie, get drunk etc. HA. What a bunch of hypocrites.