Migraine Management

Gaccha

I have been using ergotamines in Thailand. I use Cafergot which is a combination caffeine and ergotamine package. It works. It also has fascinating side effects such as real hallucinations (as opposed to pseudo hallucinations of LSD etc.).

But I am aware that these are regarded as quite stone age medications compared with the preferred Triptans. See: 'Triptans for the management of migraine.' - Johnston MM - Drugs - 20-AUG-2010; 70(12): 1505-18 and 'Marketed oral triptans in the acute treatment of migraine: a systematic review on efficacy and tolerability.' - Pascual J - Headache - 01-SEP-2007; 47(8): 1152-68

There appear to be 7 available around the World. They are Sunatiptan, Rizatriptan, Zolmitriptan, Naratriptan, Frovatriptan and Eletriptan and one more that I know not. I know that Sunatriptan and naratriptan are now Over-The-Counter drugs in the USA. I also understand Rizatriptan has the quickest effect, and Frovartriptan has the longest effect and lowest level of recurrence.

I wonder about their availability and prices in Thailand. I am keen to switch if the price is right. The Cafergot is at a cheap 50 baht for 10, since it's a second generation drug. Any users out there and perhaps Shelly has an opinion.

And with 17% of women and 6% of men having migraines, I can only wish you all a headache free day.

:jap:

Edited by Gaccha

Please define a 'real' hallucination .....isn't that a contradiction of terms? :) The information is appreciated though. I suffer from migraine several times a year.

The real is to contrast with the obviously- not- there- hallucinations that are readily experienced with the ingestion of LSD or magic mushrooms. Typically a pseudo-hallucination is very colourful or odd patterning effects. In contrast, I saw Darth Vader in perfectly rendered 3D standing in my room. I could walk up to him and walk around him. And I observed from his breastplate that he was from Episode IV. Now that is a real hallucination.

Sumatriptan is available in Thailand as Imigran, an imported brand.

Which means it will be expensive.

Thanks Sheryl. That eases my concern about my readiness to continue the ergotamines. If it is the choice between being ripped off by the US drugs manufacturer or posioning myself on old drugs, then I'll take the latter. Darth Vader will just have to make himself home next to the French paratrooper I saw last night.