Illegal Immigrant Is Very Sick

GamLing

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on ThaiVisa and I hope that there are some members who can give me advice and direction.

The story is a bit of a "mixed bag" but the gist of it is as follows. My Thai girlfriend works as a waitress in a small restaurant in Bangkok. There are four other staff, not including the owner, working in this restaurant. One of the staff (girl) didn't turn up for work last week and so my girlfriend went to check on her. The non-appearance was due to the girl being very sick..... she was unable to walk, let alone stand up, and she hadn't eaten for some time.

The girl admitted that she was from Laos (from Savannakhet) and was in Thailand with no I.D. and no passport and, obviously, no visa. The girl claims to have no friends or family in Thailand. I don't know if the owner of the restaurant had prior knowledge of this girl's status and my girlfriend is worried about what might happen to the girl if she reports to a hospital or even to the Thai police. She is also concerned about what will happen to the restaurant owner, whether or not prior knowledge existed.

The girl was planning to return to Laos at the end of this month but my girlfriend has the impression that the girl might not live that long if something isn't done soon

Please, fellow members, what can be done in this case, to help and protect the girl and the restaurant? Thank you very much.

If she is that sick get her to a public hospital pronto.

Worry about the other after she is getting treatment.

How responsible would you or your GF feel if you did nothing and she died?

I add to that, if she did die then questions would start to be asked.

Edited by Robby nz

Just a rider to my query........ can the girl from Laos seek treatment at a Thai hospital? Actually, I have my doubts on that.

...............................................................................................................................................................................

Thank you Robby nz. That was a valid point about how my girlfriend would feel if she did nothing.

I've edited this post to indicate that.

Edited by GamLing

Take her to the nearest clinic or hospital, it might be something not serious.

Hospitals and doctors have Hippocratic oath or sth to that nature to shot you with medications to make you well first and them give you a bill to make your heart stop.

Hi MegaRanter..... thank you for your reply and, to a large extent, you are right. But, this is Thailand and the girl has broken the law by entering illegally. I agree that we should worry about her well-being first and let the consequences of her illegal entry, whatever they might be, wait.

Hospitals and doctors have Hippocratic oath or sth to that nature to shot you with medications to make you well first and them give you a bill to make your heart stop.

Hi MegaRanter..... thank you for your reply and, to a large extent, you are right. But, this is Thailand and the girl has broken the law by entering illegally. I agree that we should worry about her well-being first and let the consequences of her illegal entry, whatever they might be, wait.

All those western ideals don't always apply, remember that here they tow people who arrive illegally by boat out to sea with no way to get to land.

as I said if she is that sick just do it.

Make it a public hospital and take her to the emergency dept.

If you go to a private hospital the first thing the will examine is her, or your wallet.

Also bear in mind that it could be something catching.

"Western ideals" my butt...as if Westerners are so much more civilized...

Please, please Richard.... I don't want this topic to degenerate into an East v. West tournament. All I want is to benefit from the experience and the knowledge of some fellow members on this predicament. Thank you

I have never heard of a place getting in trouble for hiring illegals..the illegals get in trouble, often, but I've get to hear of their employer(s) catching any flack. So I wouldn't worry about that end of it.

Take her at once to one of the large government hospitals, e.g. Chula, Siriraj etc.

The worst that can happen is that once she is well, she gets deported...possibly with a brief stay in the immigration jail first. But she'll be alive.

more likely not even that. I don't think hospitals are in the habit of reporting illegals to the police. But they do ask for ID on admission, just to establish who the patient is.

was wondering, there is no 'doctors without borders' in thailand??

here, illegal immigrants cannot get medical help although in theory public hospitals are required to treat, they treat minimally and then report (although they are not supposed too) or discharge since patient cant pay, so htere is one center of doctors w/o borders that have a clinic for illegals only ... not sure how many people in western countries actually know what to do either, since many countries are private medical and most people dont know or deal with illegals.

probably what sheryl says: get her to a public hospital and then the girl will probably end up getting deported or whatever... or u pay for a private doc... being nice and caring for others is often a luxury that a person can only afford if he/she has money....

bina

israel

OP it has been 10 hours. How is she and what did you do?

We took her to a "friendly" clinic on Ramkhamhaeng Road. The female doctor in charge diagnosed her sickness as being mononucleosis (glandular fever). Apparently she had the classical symptoms and she was prescribed Ibuprofen and recommended to rest for a week or two. We were assured that she would get better and, naturally, we were relieved. The physician wasn't at all officious in her manner and presented us with a modest bill for 400 baht. No I.D. was required although the physician knew that the girl was not Thai.

All's well that ends well........ and thank you to everyone for the good advice. My girlfriend is still shuddering at the thought of the girl dying after she did nothing.

We took her to a "friendly" clinic on Ramkhamhaeng Road. The female doctor in charge diagnosed her sickness as being mononucleosis (glandular fever). Apparently she had the classical symptoms and she was prescribed Ibuprofen and recommended to rest for a week or two. We were assured that she would get better and, naturally, we were relieved. The physician wasn't at all officious in her manner and presented us with a modest bill for 400 baht. No I.D. was required although the physician knew that the girl was not Thai.

All's well that ends well........ and thank you to everyone for the good advice. My girlfriend is still shuddering at the thought of the girl dying after she did nothing.

Glade to hear the news and that she is OK.

Glade to hear the news and that she is OK.

Yes, very pleased it was a good outcome. We need some good news stories. Personally I've never found the majority of health staff in Thailand, either public or private, to be anything but helpful, but maybe I have been lucky.

Yes, very pleased it was a good outcome. We need some good news stories. Personally I've never found the majority of health staff in Thailand, either public or private, to be anything but helpful, but maybe I have been lucky.

Yes Tim, it was good news for everyone, especially the Lao girl. My girlfriend was utterly relieved also, as was the restaurant owner of course! We've stressed to the girl that she must rest as the physician told her and NOT "circulate" for a few days as glandular fever is contagious. The attitude of the female physician was very positive and very consolatory. This has further added to my support of your comment about helpful health staff in Thailand. I don't think that either of us has been lucky....... that's just the way they are, and at all levels.

GamLing - good on you and your girlfriend!

Thank you PP.

Just an update on the condition of the Lao girl. Her glandular fever is moderating and she is feeling much better. Her deep malaise was obviously being affected by her worry over her immigrant status........... or lack of it, should I say?

But, she's on the mend now. Her plan is to sit her recovery out until the end of the month and then go back to Laos the same way that she entered Thailand. Good luck to her.

The final update on this girl's story is that she is now home in Savannakhet. (She went yesterday). She had no problems with either the Thai immigration or the Laos equivalent. Although she is still convalescing, we have heard that she has improved beyond recognition now she is back home with her family.

Truly, a happy ending.