What Will Change Visa Wise When Getting Married To Thai Bf

Carry

Hey ladies,

i know its a visa question and I did ask in the visa section but its guys replying with different answers and I thought maybe some of you do have experience with this!

I am considering getting married to my boyfriend since we have a child and I am planning on staying here in Thailand the next few years.

Since our child is registered in my passport I have to pay double for the visa and bring her with me on the visaruns...obviously this is not ideal.

Now I heard different stories from different women married to their Thai partner, some go to the local immigration office every 3 months, some only once a year and when I asked the Thai embassy in my home country in europe they couldnt really give me a clear answer....so Im trying to find out this way, all help is welcome! Thanks

If your baby is half Thai first thing you need to do is get her a Thai passport asap. There is no reason she cannot have both

and as for the latest requirements, skip all the faff and read my post here:

:D

You must have a non-O based on marriage to a Thai (show thai marriage certificate when you apply) and then, when you come up on your 3 months expiry take hubby and the docs listed there to your local immigration office and apply for a one year extension. If you plan on leaving the country, get a re-entry permit at the same time. You will have to do a 90 day report at immigration but no more visa runs etc. Repeat on a yearly basis.

Not sure where you are located but if its Samui then Nok is your man, he is an expert in doing the marriage to a Thai husband visa having done mine since about 1993 when he started :P

The man is the legal head of the family in Thailand and as such it makes it more difficult when that person is not Thai.

Also, Carry, don't let anyone tell you you need a non-b for a work permit, its not true!

Hi Carry,

Yes just listen to SBK, she is the only one with good advice.

I read through heaps and listened to all the inputs from here and 4 different people at a respected visa/law firm in Bangkok, and found out later was all crap advice.

If you are Aussie is not too hard to get a new passport in Bangkok to have seperate ones for you and the baby. They have staff there that have Thai hubbies, so they know what is going on, just send an email and then ask if you can speak to someone on the phone.

When we got married, all we actually needed at the amphur was the document from the embassy saying I was free to mnarry a Thai national as never married, the official translation and stamp (both from Ministry of Forign Affairs in Bangkok on same day), his ID card and my passport. I had a letter from immigration stating my address, but they didn't want it, we had other stuff like tabien baan copies etc, and they didn't want any of it either. No one ever mentioned income, bank accounts or tax certificates either. The marriage at the amphur cost 20B and took 10 minutes, including my hubby going outside for a 5 minute smoko while waiting for the fancy certificate. We got married at our local amphur on Koh Lanta Noi in Krabi.

Good luck.

edited to add:

Just make sure your new Non-O marriage visa isn't stamped "Extension of Stay not Permitted" as if it is you are screwed.

If you are already here on a Non-B visa, you can apparently get an extension of stay due to marriage with that if you go to immigration with your husband before the date you are supposed to leave.

Edited by redfish44

For marriage, yes redfish has it right, you have to go to your embassy and get the free to marry statement, have that translated into Thai, take it to the MFA (ours took a week, looks like they are getting faster) and get the paper that you then take to any district office (does not have to be local) and get married. there are no monks involved, btw, just the District Officer who told us, I recall quite clearly, be happy and dont' have too many kids :P

Thanks redfish, I had to go to immigration today and asked but they came up with a veeeery complicated story and the two of them said the exact opposite...!? Amazing Thailand...

But all is getting clear now, planning on getting married in june...fingers crossed!

Thanks again SBK, great advice they gave u guys up on getting married haha :)

Edited by Carry

I should add, once you have the paper from your embassy, you can just go straight to the Ministry of Foreign affaris (skytrain/taxi combo) and get a translation there in the small newsagent left of the escalator. Mine (1 page) took 2 hours.

We sat in the caferteria and waitied for it, then took it and the original upstairs to do the rest. Paid 800B to get express and finish that day.

I posted some stuff at the time that was my experience, and there is a bunch of other info from other guys in there: