Berserk Elephant Kills Swiss Tourist, Injures Three In Phang Nga

webfact

Elephant trek tragedy: Victims speak from Phuket hospital

med_gallery_327_1086_18867.jpg

LUCKY TO BE ALIVE: Helen Gothe suffered a broken rib and severe

lacerations to her left arm while her husband, Sean, escaped uninjured.

PHUKET: -- A Swiss woman is dead and three other foreign tourists are in hospital in Phuket after an elephant went berserk during a trekking tour in Phang Nga yesterday.

Speaking from his wife’s bedside at Bangkok Hospital Phuket this afternoon, Australian tourist Sean Gothe said he and his wife Helen were among eight couples on a one-day tour to Khao Sok National Park.

In the afternoon, the Gothes climbed aboard their elephant, a 31-year-old female, and the other couples did likewise.

At about the half-way point in the ride, three or four of the animals met in a clearing and the mahouts (elephant drivers) exchanged cameras to take photos.

At this point, one of the elephants went berserk and attacked the elephant the Gothes were riding on, trying to rip off its trunk.

All of the elephants ran off in different directions, with the berserk beast giving chase to the one with the Gothes on board.

Mr Gothe and his wife feared that they and the elephant would fall off a cliff to their deaths as the mahouts desperately tried to calm the animals, Mr Gothe said.

Both animals were bleeding from being struck by the sharpened metal tools used by the mahouts, he added.

The retaining bar on the Gothes’ elephant’s saddle eventually dislodged and Mrs Gothe fell off the right side.

Mr Gothe said he feared she had hit her head on a rock as she lay motionless on the ground while the elephant beneath him continued to run full tilt into the distance.

The crazed elephant was carrying a Swiss woman in her 60s and her English companion.

The elephant threw off the mahout and the Swiss woman, who was then intentionally trampled to death by the enraged animal.

The Englishman was able to get off the elephant without major injuries.

Mr Gothe said the Englishman’s mahout had told the couple earlier that the elephant was a male.

Female elephants are typically used on elephant trekking tours because they have better dispositions.

One of the animals that ran off in fear took 90 minutes to calm down sufficiently to allow its terrified riders to dismount, the Australian said.

All of the injured are now being treated at Bangkok Hospital Phuket.

The most seriously injured is a Swiss woman with 12 broken ribs and a punctured lung, Mr Gothe said.

Mr Gothe had kind things to say about the mahouts and junior staff at the Siam Safari tour company that organized the trip, but said he was furious that senior management had not contacted any of the injured.

“All they did was send us a fruit basket,” he said.

The Phuket Gazette called the Chalong-based company this morning, but the operator said the management found it inconvenient to make a comment at that time.

The company has been running eco-tours in Southern Thailand for 21 years.

Pol Lt Col Apidej Chuaygue of the Phanom District Police in Phang Nga said the accident happened at about 3pm at the Khao Lak Safari site in Klongsok subdistrict.

The mahouts said the fight started when playing among some male elephants suddenly turned to anger.

It was the first such case at the Khao Lak Safari operation, the owners of which have already been charged with negligence resulting in death.

Some of the individual mahouts have also been charged, the policeman said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-02-23

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember seeing a couple on an elephant in Samui as it was running down the road and then dove into the jungle...mahout running crazy behind them. The couple was screaming and hanging on for dear life.

Hopefully, legal action will follow this...but we shall see.

RIP to the poor Swiss woman....

elephants were a traditional mode of transport in thailand for thousands years, they are not exactly domesticated, but trained to obey commands.

accidents do happen, like they do happen with horses, camels, buffalo and other animals used for travel.

sad story, but it's an exceptional, taking into account hundreds of thousands tourists taking trips every year and enjoying their experience. I don't think, that this accident would discourage many holidaymakers

animals were not put on earth for us to ride. nor for us to torture by stabbing at them to make them obey commands. if you've ever seen a wild elephant you would know how dangerous and unapproachable they are.

the way elephants are "domesticated" is horrific - google "phajaan"

elephants can be incredibly gentle creatures, but they also possess awesome strength, and most elephants used in trekking have severe mental as well as physical scars. if someone had systematically abused you on a daily basis, then it would only be a matter of time before you snapped and took it out on whoever was closest to you.

it's unfortunate this woman was injured, and it's not her fault she was unaware of the dangers, but there needs to be more education in these things. anything involving wild animals, no matter how "domesticated" they appear, carries a huge risk for obvious reasons.

Do you know elephant trainers in Thailand are mostly lack of safety skill? The one in Ayuttaya are well-know for the best elephant camp in Thailand. The owner of this camp has revealed when there was a case in Pattaya. A Thai lady tourist was seriously injured while feeding a elephant and the trainer also was there beside his elephant but nothing he could do to save her much. So, you guys be more careful sticking around with elephants.

Huge animals exploited and abused with sharp hooks- no good can come of it. How utterly horrid for that woman, trampled to death. RIP

Please people, do not patronize these awful animal attractions

i fully agree, dont feed elephants avoid all attractions with elephants! Not just for your own safety but also for the protection of these animals (they are animals indeed not toys or machines)

avoid Siam Safari in Chalong they have a track record of accidents (break failure down big buddha hill in Phuket, one dead more injured!)

When are people going to outgrow their childhood fascinations with such things as elephant riding? There was a time when going into the jungle to see the sights required riding a great beast who could push his/her way through the underbrush with relative ease. In this day and age, is it really necessary to use these magnificent and supposedly "protected" animals for the actual purpose of giving some wealthy spoiled adolescent adult the chance to fulfil a childhood fantasy at the expense/exploitation of these animals? Everyone knows how these animals are treated in their "training" and even day to day treatment as exemplified by the part of this report that notes bloody wounds on the heads of these poor beasts at the hands of their handlers. "But the beasts were out of control and going berzerk putting human lives at risk" is the argument --- I say, if the humans were not riding these animals in the first place, they would not only not be in any danger, but the animals would be in their own natural environment interacting with each other in their usual normally peaceful manner without needing to be stabbed and beat with those tools of freakin torture known more coloquially as "hooks". Grow up people. Stop the exploitation of the animals here. This whole story is precipitated by the humans, NOT the animals.

Huge animals exploited and abused with sharp hooks- no good can come of it. How utterly horrid for that woman, trampled to death. RIP

...Both animals were bleeding from being struck by the sharpened metal tools used by the mahouts, he added...

- let's see investigations...

been in TH for many years I have seen often Mahoods hit their Elephants hardly. bloody wounds. Quite too many times you can see Thais even hit their Children, I'm not wondering about both's outcome...

Edited by troy04

elephants were a traditional mode of transport in thailand for thousands years, they are not exactly domesticated, but trained to obey commands.

accidents do happen, like they do happen with horses, camels, buffalo and other animals used for travel.

sad story, but it's an exceptional, taking into account hundreds of thousands tourists taking trips every year and enjoying their experience. I don't think, that this accident would discourage many holidaymakers

Yes, because as with everything else in Thailand, from prostitution ("voluntary" and enslaved), to speeding mad ass van drivers, it's all about money.

If everything were to be cleaned up, including the poor quality cooking oil used everywhere, it stands to reason that the improvements would increase the cost of everything.

Travel agencies are in the business to make money too, so certainly, they are not going to warn holiday makers of anything like this.

i fully agree, dont feed elephants avoid all attractions with elephants! Not just for your own safety but also for the protection of these animals (they are animals indeed not toys or machines)

avoid Siam Safari in Chalong they have a track record of accidents (break failure down big buddha hill in Phuket, one dead more injured!)

agree as well.

The closest I got with an elephant was at Nong Nuch Gardens where I went with my wife and our first born son. I have to admit that I put my son in danger when I let him feed the elephants, but one must consider the situation when you are married to a Thai family. Thais will not listen to reason -- and it would only take a screaming kid for them to back down. Unfortunately, my son absolutely loved the big looming giant. That said, the elephant was behind a well-secured fence, and despite my own skepticism, the elephants seemed to be in a good mood.

But hell, was ~I~ on high alert!

I was always afraid that at any moment that elephant could swing it's trunk and do its damage, so after a few bananas, I told my wife, that's enough -- they've had their fun, wave good bye to the ellies and give them some space!

I would never think of riding on any animal, much less an elephant. My reasons for being extremely cautious with them aren't from the reports of accidents here in Thailand either -- but rather the ones from back home in the US! I've seen videos of circus animals going berserk and they're pretty horrid.

Kudos to that link to the Elephant Nature Foundation. I have to add that that's one well-designed website (CSS and all). They obviously know what they're doing.

Better to let the thousands of domestic elephants in Thailand starve to death than to make them give rides to tourists

Do you know elephant trainers in Thailand are mostly lack of safety skill? The one in Ayuttaya are well-known for the best elephant camp in Thailand. The owner of this camp has revealed when there was a case in Pattaya. A Thai lady tourist was seriously injured while feeding an elephant and the trainer also was there beside his elephant but nothing much he could do to save her. So, you guys be more careful sticking around with elephants. She was not killed but hospitalized. Eventually, she said her point of view for these giant animals has been changed. Mentally, she scares when seeing them around. Please do not support those who have made Elephants into slavery businesses for the sake of your own safety and the thriving of the animal. Being abused and forced to work in a hot day physically and mentally ill, they could turn into deadly weapons in any moment without notice. There were many cases in northern part. Elephants were injured working in a woods near the Myanmar frontier trapped on landmines while transporting timbers. Some couldn't escape from dead and some have to leave after amputations. If anyone would like to see some of 'em, please visit Lampang Elephant camp, a non-profit organization. Moreover, the owner of an Elephant camp in Ayuttaya said they are much more happier to be in tourist industry than in logging industry. He talked several things about the working conditions and the different for the income that can cover the foods, the trainers pocket money and shortening the working hours though.

More people die each year from their domesticated dogs than they do from elephants. And horses are not domesticated but trained, yet people still ride them. But let's not miss a chance to bash Thailand and its people, eh?

When are people going to outgrow their childhood fascinations with such things as elephant riding? There was a time when going into the jungle to see the sights required riding a great beast who could push his/her way through the underbrush with relative ease. In this day and age, is it really necessary to use these magnificent and supposedly "protected" animals for the actual purpose of giving some wealthy spoiled adolescent adult the chance to fulfil a childhood fantasy at the expense/exploitation of these animals? Everyone knows how these animals are treated in their "training" and even day to day treatment as exemplified by the part of this report that notes bloody wounds on the heads of these poor beasts at the hands of their handlers. "But the beasts were out of control and going berzerk putting human lives at risk" is the argument --- I say, if the humans were not riding these animals in the first place, they would not only not be in any danger, but the animals would be in their own natural environment interacting with each other in their usual normally peaceful manner without needing to be stabbed and beat with those tools of freakin torture known more coloquially as "hooks". Grow up people. Stop the exploitation of the animals here. This whole story is precipitated by the humans, NOT the animals.

couldn't agree more

animals were not put on earth for us to ride. nor for us to torture by stabbing at them to make them obey commands. if you've ever seen a wild elephant you would know how dangerous and unapproachable they are.

the way elephants are "domesticated" is horrific - google "phajaan"

elephants can be incredibly gentle creatures, but they also possess awesome strength, and most elephants used in trekking have severe mental as well as physical scars. if someone had systematically abused you on a daily basis, then it would only be a matter of time before you snapped and took it out on whoever was closest to you.

it's unfortunate this woman was injured, and it's not her fault she was unaware of the dangers, but there needs to be more education in these things. anything involving wild animals, no matter how "domesticated" they appear, carries a huge risk for obvious reasons.

And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth

Since centuries mankind is using animals for all thinkable purposes; not the least, to 'only' eat them. And there is nothing wrong with it.

Riding through a forest/jungle on an elephant is much more environment friendly than to use an off-roader and to produce noise, pollution and landscape damage.

Since Hannibal even the Swiss should know about elephants.

Since TV and internet actually ANYONE should know about elephants.

A mis-use by a Mahmout or the general 'operation' of an animal must not be tolerated. We have an obligation to responsibly make use of the resources.

Travel agencies are in the business to make money too, so certainly, they are not going to warn holiday makers of anything like this.

True, but speaking as a travel agent myself, I think they should take on more responsibility to warn people of this as I do. But then there are many travel agents whose sole concern is making money.

Personally, I promote responsible travel, and, having volunteered at several wildlife rescue projects in Asia (including Elephant Nature Park), I actively work in trying to end the exploitation of animals used in tourism.

Edited by malee81

With fullest sympathy to the deceased and her family, I don't understand the kneejerk reaction to elephants being used for entertainment purposes.

More people are killed by pet dogs than captive elephants. More farmers are killed by their hogs. More people are killed by horses. Last year, I was stuck in traffic while they loaded up an unfortunate 14 year old girl who was killed when a horse kicked her. Sad day, to be sure.

On Discovery last night, there was a show where they were taking Russian elephants out of a zoo to put them out into the wild in Africa, and one elephant backed up and killed the 50 year old woman handler who had raised the elephant since it was a baby.

Things happen. But to protect ourselves from all animal danger, we would need to ban all human contact with cows, dogs, horses, hogs, etc. And we might as well get add cars, buses, and planes to the list as well.

Once again, this post is no disrespect to the deceased. My condolences are with her family.