Berserk Elephant Kills Swiss Tourist, Injures Three In Phang Nga

webfact

Without generalising, I know of several mahouts, who make a very good living from elephants, so do not assume it provides a meager salary.

<deleted>! My wife and I owned an elephant in Thailand for nearly 20 years. My wife's father was one of the best known traditional elephant doctors up north, thankfully replaced now by real veterinarians. I have known many, many a mahout over the past 25 years. They all, and I mean all that I have met, earn a pittance unless they also own the elephant or have some other sideline or you mistook a camp manager for a full time mahout. We were constantly financially helping out our mahout on the side, well beyond his mahout salary. And there are few independent owners left as the economics at the elephant camps (pang chaang)no longer make renting feasible. We ended up selling our elephant to one of the larger camps in order for it to be well taken care of, care not available at some of the smaller camps or the camps down in the south well outside the traditional elephant regions up north, such as where this incident took place.

You may not like all the camps, and there are many commercial tourist camps that cater to many tastes ranging from Mae Sa to Khun Lek's camp up at Mae Tang. But an unemployed elephant soon becomes a dead elephant and without all the major tourist camps up north the Thai elephant population would dwindle to critically low levels.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What humans have done to Mother Earth and all living things is something we should all take a long look at before we get to involved with texting, music or other self pleasures, giving a minute or 3 to the Voiceless, Children, Wildlife And Waterways for starters.

We should all get involved in leaving only smiles, examples and footprints behind, even if it's to late, it helps one to sleep better.

Giving is so much more rewarding then receiving

I agree, but unfortunately, greed has gotten the better of most people. Material possessions and money are many people's priorities over preservation of the earth and it's creatures (other human beings included). I know I've been guilty of wanting more money and more shiny things I really don't need in the past. It's difficult when so much advertising is thrust in our face. But yes, if everyone just took 5 minutes to reconsider, perhaps things can change before it's too late.

I posted this link before but Ill put it here again as the more people that watch this something might change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce4DJh-L7Ys

Without generalising, I know of several mahouts, who make a very good living from elephants, so do not assume it provides a meager salary.

<deleted>! My wife and I owned an elephant in Thailand for nearly 20 years. My wife's father was one of the best known traditional elephant doctors up north, thankfully replaced now by real veterinarians. I have known many, many a mahout over the past 25 years. They all, and I mean all that I have met, earn a pittance unless they also own the elephant or have some other sideline or you mistook a camp manager for a full time mahout. We were constantly financially helping out our mahout on the side, well beyond his mahout salary. And there are few independent owners left as the economics at the elephant camps (pang chaang)no longer make renting feasible. We ended up selling our elephant to one of the larger camps in order for it to be well taken care of, care not available at some of the smaller camps or the camps down in the south well outside the traditional elephant regions up north, such as where this incident took place.

You may not like all the camps, and there are many commercial tourist camps that cater to many tastes ranging from Mae Sa to Khun Lek's camp up at Mae Tang. But an unemployed elephant soon becomes a dead elephant and without all the major tourist camps up north the Thai elephant population would dwindle to critically low levels.

Refer to my first post - I said, without generalising. Maybe you don't know mahouts who make money but I do. I also know some who have been in the same situation as you and have been forced to sell their elephants. But some make a lot of money.

And I never said all camps are bad, but they should respect and treat the elephants well, which many of them do not.

RIP

Very sad story but you are taking some risk climbing on the back of an elephant

:jap:

RIP.I did that before,as millions others did. Don't you take a risk when you/re climbing in your car ???

Yes but your bloody car doesn't/didn't suffer/feel demeaned when you boarded it. Duh!

Has anyone looked at this....

Musth (alternatively spelled must and pronounced /ˈmʌst/) is a periodic condition in bull elephants, characterized by highly aggressive behavior, accompanied by a large rise in reproductive hormones - testosterone levels in an elephant in musth can be as much as 60 times greater than in the same elephant at other times. However, whether this hormonal surge is the sole cause of musth, or merely a contributing factor, is unknown; scientific investigation of musth is problematic because during musth even elephants that are otherwise placid may try to kill humans.

I posted this link before but Ill put it here again as the more people that watch this something might change.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ce4DJh-L7Ys

This documentary is an overblown piece of sensationalism which uses exageration, inference and reaching generalizations and tries very hard to tug on heartstrings instead of really examining the issue in with a neutral viewpoint However, that is not to say that it is wrong, or that this sort of maltreatment does not exist to satisfy human needs. The film does bring to light things which most people are not aware of, and we all should be aware of them.

The fact that the film is really a poorly made piece of propaganda that takes great liberty with the truth does not take away from many of the core issues it raises.

RIP

Very sad story but you are taking some risk climbing on the back of an elephant

:jap:

RIP.I did that before,as millions others did. Don't you take a risk when you/re climbing in your car ???

Yes but your bloody car doesn't/didn't suffer/feel demeaned when you boarded it. Duh!

I am glad that you have elephant ESP to know that an elephant feels demeaned if someone rides it! Duh!

This documentary is an overblown piece of sensationalism which uses exageration, inference and reaching generalizations and tries very hard to tug on heartstrings instead of really examining the issue in with a neutral viewpoint However, that is not to say that it is wrong, or that this sort of maltreatment does not exist to satisfy human needs. The film does bring to light things which most people are not aware of, and we all should be aware of them.

The fact that the film is really a poorly made piece of propaganda that takes great liberty with the truth does not take away from many of the core issues it raises.

That is a very interesting point.

When you say propoganda do you mean on behalf of the government or perhaps an animal rights organisation like PETA....?

UPDATE

Elephant tragedy victim still in Phuket ICU

phuket-1-IAXeOwD.jpg

Russian tourists feed the elephants at a privately-run trekking operation

in Phang Nga.

PHUKET: -- All but one of the people injured in the elephant tragedy in Khao Sok National Park on Tuesday have been released from hospital.

Christine Colomb of Switzerland remains in the ICU at Bangkok Phuket Hospital.

Mrs Colomb met with the Phuket Gazette briefly last night after conducting a telephone interview for the Swiss newspaper Blick.

Connected to several tubes to assist her breathing and help treat a punctured lung, the 45-year-old said she did not want her photograph to appear in the media as she was afraid it would have a negative effect on the three surviving children of her best friend, who was killed in the tragedy.

Mrs Colomb also declined to give the name of the friend, whom she described as her best friend for 25 years.

Mrs Colomb also wanted to clarify that her late friend was not the "companion" of the Englishman she was on the elephant with. They were only paired up by the mahouts for the trek, she said.

She holds no animosity towards the Siam Safari company that organized the tour, she said, adding that she had been a satisfied repeat customer of the operator for years.

Mrs Colomb said she expects to be released in two days.

She and her husband will have to postpone their return trip, originally scheduled for this weekend, until she is well enough to fly, she said.

Sean Gothe, who survived the ordeal with only minor injuries, told the Gazette last night that the Swiss woman told doctors to take her off a morphine drip that had been administered to reduce the pain caused by her 12 fractured ribs and punctured lung.

Mrs Colomb was afraid of developing an addiction to the opiate, Mr Gothe said after meeting with her for over an hour yesterday.

Mrs Colomb’s wounds were sustained when large tree branches hit her torso as the elephant fled in fear and were not deliberately inflicted by the animal, he explained.

Mrs Colomb’s husband Michel, 71, was earlier released from the hospital after treatment for injuries including lacerations to the head.

Mr Gothe’s wife Helen was released from the hospital late yesterday afternoon after three days of treatment. She will continue her recovery at the couple’s resort.

Mrs Gothe said she was recovering well. She seemed more interested in discussing the high number of road accidents she had witnessed during her stay in Thailand than her own injuries.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-02-25

is Siam Safari not the same company who was in the news last year because a speeding Jeep and an accident downhill? Dont remember how many died there.

Anyway, accidents happen and it just shows one more time that elephants are not just big toys.

may she rest in peace

When you say propoganda do you mean on behalf of the government or perhaps an animal rights organisation like PETA....?

It is overt propaganda by the animal rights types. It takes pretty bad cases and exaggerates how much that reflects the industries, it makes exaggerated, non-scientific claims about the treatment of animals, and it really pushes at the emotional. However, as I said before, there is a basis to their point, and if you can get past the garbage, the questions and issues it raises are valid.

It is overt propaganda by the animal rights types. It takes pretty bad cases and exaggerates how much that reflects the industries, it makes exaggerated, non-scientific claims about the treatment of animals, and it really pushes at the emotional. However, as I said before, there is a basis to their point, and if you can get past the garbage, the questions and issues it raises are valid.

Agree,

If people are going to eat meat, there has to be killing by the very nature of the process. This film tries to sensationalize various aspects of animal treatment, but in slaughterhouses, for example, there will be killing. Even in a slaughterhouse which is run in complete compliance with animal welfare laws and regulations, there will be death, and this scene can be horrifying to people not used to it. When the documentary focuses on pooled blood on the floor of a slaughterhouse, well, that is sensationalism. It is hard to kill and prepare a chicken without bloodletting.

On the other hand, as Lucky points out, there are cases in the video where animal cruelty is depicted, and these are valid cases where we all should understand what is going on and get something done about it.

animals were not put on earth for us to ride. nor for us to torture by stabbing at them to make them obey commands. if you've ever seen a wild elephant you would know how dangerous and unapproachable they are.

the way elephants are "domesticated" is horrific - google "phajaan"

elephants can be incredibly gentle creatures, but they also possess awesome strength, and most elephants used in trekking have severe mental as well as physical scars. if someone had systematically abused you on a daily basis, then it would only be a matter of time before you snapped and took it out on whoever was closest to you.

it's unfortunate this woman was injured, and it's not her fault she was unaware of the dangers, but there needs to be more education in these things. anything involving wild animals, no matter how "domesticated" they appear, carries a huge risk for obvious reasons.

And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth

Since centuries mankind is using animals for all thinkable purposes; not the least, to 'only' eat them. And there is nothing wrong with it.

Riding through a forest/jungle on an elephant is much more environment friendly than to use an off-roader and to produce noise, pollution and landscape damage.

Since Hannibal even the Swiss should know about elephants.

Since TV and internet actually ANYONE should know about elephants.

A mis-use by a Mahmout or the general 'operation' of an animal must not be tolerated. We have an obligation to responsibly make use of the resources.

OK - a bible nutter.

"Since centuries mankind is using animals for all thinkable purposes; not the least, to 'only' eat them. And there is nothing wrong with it."

THere is plenty wrong with the exploitation of animals - do you really think that using elephants as topurist attractions is blameless?Firstly ask how those elephants got there and how were they trained.

If anyone has seen or read about the training of wild elephants you'd stop believing in 2 thousand year old dubiously translated mumbo-jumbo (forgive the pun) from religious books

Had a friend who wanted to do this so we went. It depressed the hell out of me to see the elephant being stabbed with a metal spike to get it to move. Not an experience I would want to repeat - we also saw the drugged tigers on the same tour..

Unfortunately however since pretty much nothing above the size of a cockroach can survive without permission of humans now I suspect if the elephants and tigers didnt pay their way they would all be dead. Everyone wants them around but nobody wants to give up the required space to allow them to live freely. If its big enough to cause trouble and you cant eat it or get it to entertain people obilterate it.

Its mans way.

• 2 weeks later...

Huge animals exploited and abused with sharp hooks- no good can come of it. How utterly horrid for that woman, trampled to death. RIP

Please people, do not patronize these awful animal attractions

i fully agree, dont feed elephants avoid all attractions with elephants! Not just for your own safety but also for the protection of these animals (they are animals indeed not toys or machines)

avoid Siam Safari in Chalong they have a track record of accidents (break failure down big buddha hill in Phuket, one dead more injured!)

How can it be expained that Siam Safari has still a license to run this business? How many more dead tourists police in Chalong needs to force shutting down this lousy business, full of danger and unnecessary risks. This company looks very dangerous to me... even life threatening! The authorities should require a higher safety standard from such companies like Siam Safari (with a history), but again, the owner will be a good friend from someone close to these authorities... TIT :bah: